will someone explain coilovers plz?

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Coil over benefits from increased wheel rate at lower spring rates. basically you can set the car up stiff as hell but it'll still ride pretty nice.

The stock system keeps the springs inboard of the struts which means you have to use a much higher spring rate (stiff springs) to get a good wheel rate (the actual stiffness of the suspension against compressive forces at the wheel). This leads to a rough riding car and really heavy duty forces being exerted from the springs.

Coil over setups are also lighter than the modified mcpherson we have stock which reduces unsprung weight and overall weight.

I run a MM max grip box. Suffice it to say that they're the only maker that has the durability built into their products needed for street use on a daily driver. Griggs is great too but I leave their stuff for the race track. Steeda is shit, so are all the others that are selling the shitty re-branded Granatelli stuff. Granatelli is made in china, poorly and has catastrophically failed on more than their share of cars.

You'll totally trip the first time you drive it after a proper CO install. They're NOTHING alike and I can't even tell you how much better it is with a well engineered CO setup. The MM torque arm and PHB made the car that much better again.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
That's all correct and good info, but I'll make it simple.

Coilover's= Coil OVER shock. The shock is threaded and has a collar on it, spin it up and down, car go up and down. This also changes the spring rate, but everyone seems to overlook that for some reason.

Anyway, most people like them because A. It's cool to say you have coil over's, and B. it's easy to adjust height, and therefore looks.

There are a million real benefits, but those are the real reason they sell.

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
thanks guys, but on the bottom of the strut there is no perch for a spring to be over it so how does that work exactly?

I know I have to sound stupid.... :/

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lol, it's not a stupid question, the shock is threaded, and a collar sits on the threads, the spring sits on the collar.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Here, this is a FOX offroad coilover, but you get the idea,

coilover.jpg

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
J.R. said:
Lol, it's not a stupid question, the shock is threaded, and a collar sits on the threads, the spring sits on the collar.

ohhhh I gotcha now. that's the main thing I was having a problem with lol

Thanks alot :)

moot09

Reaction score
so if you want to install a set of coilovers you have to take out your shock/strut and spring setup right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin

Members online