Winter Project Problems

jttchs22

Reaction score
Hey guys hope you all are staying warm.

I just finished my winter project. took my 5.0 out of my 95 GT and rebuilt it and added GT40 heads and intake from 97 explorer (yes 97 gt40 heads 3 bars and GT on the heads). Got it timed with spout out and reinstalled spout and idled great. Problem is, when I shift into any gear other than park or neutral, it stalls unless I give it some gas. Then it drives fine until I put back into Park. As soon as I go into gear, it stalls.

I can take the belt off the car and it will go into gear fine and will not stall. So I am starting to think that it is an accessory issue more than anything. My tensioner was making a horrible noise while in gear like it was knocking almost. So i do have a new tensioner coming. Also got a new belt but it is too long. (more on that later). I also noticed that it dies as soon as A/C compressor is kicked on. You can see lights dim and seems to be running a little hotter than it was before. But I'm sure that is due to the new main and crank bearings as well as piston rings.

I am stumped as far as the stalling goes. I think I have it narrowed down but just wondering if anyone has seen this before?

Also, I am putting some March Performance underdrive pulleys (alt, crank and wp) on as soon as they figure out that they boxed up the wrong pulleys and send me the right one. Has anyone used these? If so, what size belt did you use? I have deleted smog pump.

List of mods:
New main and rod bearings
New piston rings
New water pump
Gt40 heads and intake

Thats about it as far as the major mods go. Engine had no issues when pulled out. Reset computer by letting it sit overnight with battery un hooked. DTCs are mainly for egr since it isnt there.

I know a lot of info to process but I am truly stumped as to what it could be. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
2 things......

1. If you removed the egr then you need a chip with a tune to delete it from programming or you will always have idle issues.

2. You will need to relearn the idle. Do a search on resetting/ relearning idle for the 94-95’s and follow it exactly as stated. It’s a bit of a process but has to be done.

As far as a chip goes, messsge [MENTION=8201]Addermk2[/MENTION] and he can get all details and sell you a chip that will work. He isn’t on often so might take a bit. Worst case scenario I can sell you my chip sometime if you don’t get one. My specs would be similar to yours except I had the b303 cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online