Winter ramblings, at least my car is still fun to look at

joekd

Reaction score
Was out on the garage today just looking at the car for about 15 mins thinking if I want to keep it or if it's time to move on to something else

Have really been playing with the idea of putting it up for sale in the spring but not sure if I will go through with it or not. I only drive it for fun and have put less miles on it every year. I never take it out if there is even a chance of any rain and really don't need a 4 seater anymore.

Part of me says it's time to get out of Mustangs altogether (this is my 4th one) but then I think I should just keep the car. I own it so all I pay is tax, registration and insurance all of which are cheap (advantages of a 1996 car)

I also know that it will be VERY hard to find a car that has an easier life then this one. Everything I do to it is an easy job, I did my catback with hand tools and no penetrating oil at all plus when the car was apart at the shop being repainted even the inside of the panels was still perfect.

Guess I will just stay on track with my winter plans and make a decision next year

RichV

Reaction score
I go back and forth on this kind of stuff all the time.

The thing I go back to is working on these cars is kinda therapeutic for me. I enjoy it, and it keeps me sane in a way.

Do you have a replacement hobby to focus on?

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
Plenty of hobbies to keep me busy, just getting a little bored of the Mustang. I still think it's a great car, just may not be what I want right now.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
sn95's are the new foxbody's. I say keep it for the memories and ease of life, I have similiar situation like you where it hasn't ran through many owners which is an awesome pro. Maybe, start up collection of mustangs and keep this one as the first of few. Theres so many things you can do but if you ever get rid of it, and have desire for sn95 car you'll be kicking yourself in the butt saying why I got rid of my mint one for. I see all the time on forums...I'm not going to make that mistake, I'm going to see mine through its last stages of modding and enjoy it for what it is...

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I'd think about it for awhile and decide after you get it out for a few times in the spring with the top down. I mean with these SN95s it is getting REALLY hard to find a clean one even a newer one like a 03/04 car. Are you getting rid of it because you need money or don't have the space to keep it and get something else or what? I mean as clean as it is... you won't get much for it and then I doubt you'll ever be able to find one as clean again. Plus... as I'm finding out with mine, there are a bunch of little surprises you find in one that has been played with. I'm lucky in that the guy who had mine before me kept it pretty much mint but there were a few things I needed to fix that bugged me... If you've had every body panel off that thing and its repainted and never sees rain and is THAT easy to work on... I dunno make it a platform for a long term project. They don't get much cheaper than a Mustang to work on, there are a ton of options, they look great etc...

I mean do what you want but think about what you'd replace it with if anything, look at prices for those things, look at how much it would cost to get it nice... If I were you I would keep that thing, get some suspension work done to it, maybe put something with more power in and enjoy it some more. Although I do feel you about driving the car in the rain. If I even think it is going to rain mine doesn't come out. Really puts a hamper on enjoying it but then whenever I crawl under it to do the oil or check something out I smile and remember that there aren't many out there that look like that.

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
sn95's are the new foxbody's. I say keep it for the memories and ease of life

Funny you say that, I went through this same debate years ago with my fox body lx 5.0, sold that one and while I did miss it at first I never regretted giving it up

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
I'd think about it for awhile and decide after you get it out for a few times in the spring with the top down. I mean with these SN95s it is getting REALLY hard to find a clean one even a newer one like a 03/04 car. Are you getting rid of it because you need money or don't have the space to keep it and get something else or what? I mean as clean as it is... you won't get much for it and then I doubt you'll ever be able to find one as clean again. Plus... as I'm finding out with mine, there are a bunch of little surprises you find in one that has been played with. I'm lucky in that the guy who had mine before me kept it pretty much mint but there were a few things I needed to fix that bugged me... If you've had every body panel off that thing and its repainted and never sees rain and is THAT easy to work on... I dunno make it a platform for a long term project. They don't get much cheaper than a Mustang to work on, there are a ton of options, they look great etc...

As mentioned I love the car and what I have made of it, just thinking Mustangs may not be right for me anymore. I seriously think that dumping a ton of money into it would just be a complete waste.

Money isn't the issue since the car is fully paid for and the car sits in an insulated temp controlled garage all the time. Keep in mind also that I have kids who are about the same ago as a lot of guy here so my mindset is a little different then most.

poisonbl

Reaction score
I'd lean towards 'keep it' simply because you'll likely not get half of what it's worth, it's in excellent shape, and most anything you might replace it with will be a) more expensive, b) considerably harder to work on, and (note, not 'or', 'and') c) less well kept than you have it. C is the only point that might be argued, and only if the replacement's fresh from the factory, but then you're trading 'less well kept' for 'less well built', because there are very few vehicles made these days that are built to last as many years as these mustangs (let alone the older foxes) have held up. My '94 is far from 'well kept' and it's in better shape, aside from paint, than the majority of vehicles I see every day at less than half its age.

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
if you are getting rid of it and it doesn't sell at first, let me know. i've always loved your car.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Ha, yeah the only issue he might run into selling it is asshats who show up with their KBB printouts for a car that is blatantly an exception to the KBB pricing. I don't know what is done to that but it's probably worth a lot more than a non-enthusiast is willing to pay. If you do sell it hopefully someone on here or the corral or someone from another forum will get it and take care of it. Although the exact opposite can happen where you see it torn up and modded out terribly with junk parts but that doesn't bother some ppl. Don't know if it would bother me...

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Lol look at Belberius gettin on it man! ;)

I won't lie at the moment I'm far more into my ZJ Jeep than my Mustang. Probably because I just bought it Monday, and probably because it sits so high off the ground, and probably because the badass V8 in it gets 10mpg... But even so I have never once considered selling my Mustang. I agree it's cake to work on. For instance I looked at my ZJ today and noticed that the dizzy is on the BACK of the engine, convenient no? It's gonna be a PITA to get off that's for cerain, so untill I feel like doing it the dizzy, wires, and plugs are gonna sit in the Autozone bag in the back seat lol.

If I were you, I would work on another project until you get the desire to work on the Mustang again. It will come back, believe me, but you just need something else to do for now. I still wanna get my Mustang put back together, but I'm not nearly as concerned at the moment. I'm having way too much fun tinkering with my ZJ

Green Hornet

Reaction score
First world problems!

If you can, get another project going. you will know if you are done with the Stang after that

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
It's not that I don't want to work on the Mustang (spent an hour yesterday alone sanding the valve covers down to get them ready for paint and should be doing the COP conversion soon as well as finally installing my billet PS tank and new radiator hoses) just starting to reach that point again where I need to decide if it is worth spending major money on it to keep my interest (aka supercharging) and I really don't see myself going that route.

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
Been another week, did some internet shopping for possible replacement vehicles and have decided to just wait and make a real decision in the spring

At this point the car will be staying but will see what happens when good weather is here again

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
Soooo basically, its too slow for you now... no matter how nice it is, it will always be kinda on the slower side of things unless you build it up real good.. and your not sure you want to go through all that with a 17 year old gt that has a wack resale value....

Sounds like my situation except Im sure I have wayyyy more miles than you. just get a cobra, or a mach or maybe a new gt....

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
No, I am just reaching the end of sensible bolt ons and the only thing that makes sense now is to go kenne bell or similar but I don't know if I love this car enough to put that kind of money into it. Car can still bring a smile to my face which is why I bought it in the first place.

Like I said, going to continue with my current plans, COPs, more engine bay cleanup, etc and decide in the spring.

Honestly if I do get rid of this I am getting out of the Mustang scene...again. This is the same thing I said when I reached this point with my fox body, sold it and had an SHO for a bit then a couple years down the road found myself in my 00 GT. I do like this one a lot more then I did those other two mustangs though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online