Wont start, NO SPARK. Ideas?

Xycose

Reaction score
1998 Mustang 3.8 V6. Manual trans.
Went out to my car last night, won't start. Engine cranks but doesn't start at all.
I tried some starter fluid, didn't work so I assumed no spark.
-to make sure I pulled a plug out and put it against the engine block and had someone watch for spark, switched positions and looked myself. Not sparking at all.
- Checked the EDIS ignition coil and prematurely decided that was the culprit since the omhs were off from spec on each pair according to Chilton manual. Got a new one this morning put it in still doesn't start. I checked the voltage to the EDIS, opps, doesn't even get voltage there.
-checked camshaft and crank shaft sensor, I think both are OK but its hard to turn the engine fast enough with a breakerbar to tell for sure.

Another thing I noticed is none of my dash lights come on and the gauges dont move. Normally most of the lights come on, the little battery sign, check engine theft etc, and the temp gauge is even still where it was when i last ran the car, normally itlll go back down when the ignition is on. Strange? I checked all the fuses, and they are in good order.

Any ideas? Is there anthing common that causes these symptoms? I'm a little lost, I'm thinking PCM maybe? I hope not, they're pretty expensive. Thanks!

OP
OP
X

Xycose

Reaction score
I did try with a spare key after reading that the PATS(passive any theft system) system on somecars will allow the engine to crank but not start. I read that the theft light should flash, which it wasn't, but gave it a shot anyways. still doesn't work.
Thanks for the help though. any other ideas?

OP
OP
X

Xycose

Reaction score
Posting on both forums:
Didn't do quite what you said, but ruled out the battery as the problem. I switched over the battery from my dads crown vic and same exact problems. The 'vic has a V8 in it so the battery should be plenty big enough I would think.

OP
OP
X

Xycose

Reaction score
Replaced the PCM and still no luck... Confused as hell as what else it could be...

OP
OP
X

Xycose

Reaction score
ALL FIXED.
ignition issue - melted wires together from one of the wires that powers the PCM. couple hours of tearing our my dash to find them. replaced them all and everything seems to work OK. put some extra fuses in in an easier place to get to just for safies also.

For anyone who read this post before i edited it, the pedal was just me being delusional i guess. the throttle issue was actually just the MAF sensor because i didn't screw down the clamp for the intake when i put it back together and it was only half way on.

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T's Convertible

Members online