Won't start, short maybe?

AntiFederalist

Reaction score
So I have a 96 GT, I swapped in a whole 01 Bullitt motor into, finally got the point of setting fuel pressure, and getting ready to fire it up. Now when I tried starting it, one click from starter and then complete loss of power, no dinging, no lights. Takes the battery from green on the charger to red instantly. I redid and checked all the grounds, I'm thinking it must be a short somewhere. Just trying to get some opinions of potential other issues or ideas on where to look.

Werecow

Reaction score
When in doubt I always start with the easy stuff and go from there... Are all the main fuses ok? Check em under the hood and under the dash as well.. Small things can get you tripped up as easy as major ones...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
with electrical if you do not check the simple things first you often end up checking them later. It sounds like the battery is not supplying enough power, or as they said maybe a ground or power connection has corroded and has gone bad. Start by checking the battery voltage and checking that the connections to it are not loose. After that follow the the body ground from the battery to where it ends and make sure it is tight and does not move.

OP
OP
A

AntiFederalist

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies, the negative battery terminal had cracked and became loose. I smashed it together with some pliers(temporarily) and the car fired right up. I can't believe I overlooked that. Such a good sound to hear open long tubes after 3 years of sitting

Connie

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies, the negative battery terminal had cracked and became loose. I smashed it together with some pliers(temporarily) and the car fired right up. I can't believe I overlooked that. Such a good sound to hear open long tubes after 3 years of sitting
It's 'ALWAYS' the obvious, simple things that get us all. Right away you think, it has to be some big complicated problem on anything electrical. But, I got help on this site for the same issue. If it ever happens again, I'll always check the Battery Connections and, keep in mind the AGE of the Battery. I bought my '03 GT 17 years ago, and bought the wife's '04 Mach1 in '07. Both our 'Stangs are SOOO reliable, it's scary. I'm so glad the Battery Terminal was all it was for you too, BOB.

Last edited:

Werecow

Reaction score
It always come back to basic troubleshooting... One of the first mechanics that I started learning from told me the best rule for it was K.I.S.S. that stands for Keep It Simple Stupid.. The more you try to complicate a problem or your troubleshooting the worst it will be...

Connie

Reaction score
Ha, your right. Your own mind can be your worst enemy. And I rebuilt complicated Transmissions for a living, and I STILL get stuck on the simple problems at times.

Werecow

Reaction score
Oh I still do it to myself all the time, especially when it comes to wiring.. That is still one of the things I really hate doing.. scrambles my brains everytime I have to get into it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online