Wutcha Think of This Audio Setup?

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
I'll start by explaining what I have, then what I want. Opinions and comments (positive or negative) are wanted and welcomed.

My current setup is quite simple actually:
I have the stock 460 system,
A Sony headunit (CDX-GT310) like this http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDX-GT310-Radio-player-dash/dp/B000KDY4WM,
And a MTX Magnum 12 inch sub package (box, 2 12s, and 500 watt RMS amp) http://www.mtx.cheapsubwoofers.us/index.php?c=1&n=3009141&i=B0025VUI54&x=MTX_Magnum_MB212P_1000_Watt_System_2_12_Subs_wAmplifier_Enclosure

It actually sounds pretty dang good. I really like the Sony headunit and the subs actually hit quite hard and are plenty loud. I got the sub kit on sale for $100 back in the day from Circuit City (RIP). Most people who ride in my car compliment on how good it sounds, and it does. But after riding in my brother's truck (nice RF amp/door speakers and Alpine headunit/amp/10" sub) and other similarly equipped vehicles, I've really noticed that my car is lacking a lot. So after several days of looking around the web and listening to friends setups, here's what I've come up with. It can and may change, so give me any opinions you want.

Headunit: I'm either going to stick with the one I have now, or go with the Sony CDX-GT540UI (because of my recently acquired Ipod and color of the headunit {blue}) http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20504_Sony+CDX-GT540UI.html It also seems to be a good radio at a decent price for what I'm getting.

Front door speakers: Rockford Fosgate P1652-S 6.5" Punch Series component speakers. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18207_Rockford+Fosgate+P1652-S.html

Rear deck speakers: Rockford Fosgate P1683 6" x 8" 3-way full range speakers. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18210_Rockford+Fosgate+P1683.html

Amp: Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4 400W RMS 4 channel amplifier. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9893_Rockford+Fosgate+Punch+P400-4.html

Subs: Keep what I currently have, both subs and amp.

I'm planning on pulling the 460 system and running new speaker wire. What gauge speaker wire should I plan on?

Y'all think this would make for a decent setup? Seems like it, and it's not that bad of a price (<$500 with current headunit).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you do not nee new wire unless you want to impress the judges, the stock wire is fine even with the mach.

you will notice a bid difference in aftermarket speakers and should not be too disappointed with what you have picked out.

joekd

Reaction score
ttocs said:
you do not nee new wire unless you want to impress the judges, the stock wire is fine even with the mach.

Agree with this 100%, I went through the same debate for my infinity components and 2-ways, the hassle of running new wire (espeically to the doors) is nto worth it when the OEM wiring will more then handle the job

Dysfunction

Reaction score
I personally don't like RF at all, to me it's always been over priced for what you get. With that said it doesn't make it bad equipment. I just much prefer Kicker.

If you're set on the components and amp that's fine. The only thing i'd change is the head unit. The reason is because the one you've selected only comes with 2 RCA outs, a front and rear. Which can work okay, i've been using it that way for years, but it's not ideal.

I'm sure you can find a headunit in your price range that has 3 RCA outs, front, rear, and Sub.

I'd also recommend getting your amp wires and such from KnuKonceptz. Immensely cheaper then the bestbuy rockford crap, and in my cases higher quality. That's all i've got in my car, from the RCA's, power wires, grounds and the distribution boxes.

OP
OP
S

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
ttocs said:

you will notice a bid difference in aftermarket speakers and should not be too disappointed with what you have picked out.

Ok, so does anyone have a Mach 460 wiring diagram? The reason I was thinking of getting new speaker wire was because I didn't think the stock wire would be long enough/in the correct location to wire in an aftermarket amp. I guess not? Where would I need to mount a new amp so that the stock speaker wire will work?

Dysfunction said:
I personally don't like RF at all, to me it's always been over priced for what you get. With that said it doesn't make it bad equipment. I just much prefer Kicker.

If you're set on the components and amp that's fine. The only thing i'd change is the head unit. The reason is because the one you've selected only comes with 2 RCA outs, a front and rear. Which can work okay, i've been using it that way for years, but it's not ideal.

I'm sure you can find a headunit in your price range that has 3 RCA outs, front, rear, and Sub.

I'd also recommend getting your amp wires and such from KnuKonceptz. Immensely cheaper then the bestbuy rockford crap, and in my cases higher quality. That's all i've got in my car, from the RCA's, power wires, grounds and the distribution boxes.

About the price: on this website (sonicelectronix), similarly speced Kickers are about $30-$40 more. I have no idea about the quality, but the Rockford stuff is actually cheaper. Hard to believe, but it is.

Would a Kicker amp like this one work well for me? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11367_Kicker+08ZX350.4.html It actually has the exact same RMS and peak ratings for the RF speakers I pointed out (unlike the Rockford amp, which was a little low), so that would work well. And it's $40 cheaper. Only con is that it has a higher THD rating; does that really make that big of a difference in mid-level door speakers?

Ok, I see that now about that radio. I didn't notice it at first. My current amp has a set of pre-amp outputs; is it okay to run the rear side of the new amp off of that? Or will quality suffer? I'm probably just gonna look for a radio with the 3 outputs like you suggested.

I'll look over that site before I buy any of the wires I buy.

Dysfunction

Reaction score
Yea you'd be find running them like that. The way mine is set up is like this... Front and Rear RCA's go into 4-Channel speaker amp from the head unit. Then there's an out from the 4-Channel amp to the Mono sub amp. It's works, but sound quality suffers a bit. I've had my headunit since I was 16, so 8 years now. If it ever dies I'll upgrade. lol

As far as brand goes, I became a Kicker whore when I bought my SoloBaric L7 years ago. So I guess i'm brand loyal now? Since all the speakers in my car are Kicker. lol But really that RF amp would work just fine, but it is nice that the Kicker amp is cheaper. And I wouldn't worry about the THD rating. Just focus on matching RMS's.

Also check out onlinecarstereo. They have pretty good prices as well. I think that's where I bought my front components and rear speakers.

Oh, and In case ya don't know we have 6x8s in the front of our cars as well. Takes a bit of cutting to get round speakers to work. That's the route I went though, because there were simply more options in circle components then round components.

And and one more thing. I had a buddy a few years ago put in to Rockford components in his car. They were WAY trebbly, didn't sound good at all. Don't know if it was just that model or what. But they didn't sound good at all.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would recomend you go out and listen to these brands and make up your own mind before ordering what you hear sounds the best online. I, personally have never been a fan of kicker. They are alright for what you can expect to find at the flea market but between them an rf I would go rf, and I hate best buy(long story). Everyone has their own opinions so it is best you listen and form your own.

OP
OP
S

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
Dysfunction said:
Yea you'd be find running them like that. The way mine is set up is like this... Front and Rear RCA's go into 4-Channel speaker amp from the head unit. Then there's an out from the 4-Channel amp to the Mono sub amp. It's works, but sound quality suffers a bit. I've had my headunit since I was 16, so 8 years now. If it ever dies I'll upgrade. lol

As far as brand goes, I became a Kicker whore when I bought my SoloBaric L7 years ago. So I guess i'm brand loyal now? Since all the speakers in my car are Kicker. lol But really that RF amp would work just fine, but it is nice that the Kicker amp is cheaper. And I wouldn't worry about the THD rating. Just focus on matching RMS's.

Also check out onlinecarstereo. They have pretty good prices as well. I think that's where I bought my front components and rear speakers.

Oh, and In case ya don't know we have 6x8s in the front of our cars as well. Takes a bit of cutting to get round speakers to work. That's the route I went though, because there were simply more options in circle components then round components.

And and one more thing. I had a buddy a few years ago put in to Rockford components in his car. They were WAY trebbly, didn't sound good at all. Don't know if it was just that model or what. But they didn't sound good at all.

Yea, I knew we had 6x8s, I've just always heard that 6.5 speakers sound better overall. You can get more bass out of a 6x8 or 6x9 at the expense of clarity of mids/highs, but I already have subs, so that won't be a problem. The Rockford 6.5 components actually come with adapter plates to mount them in 6x8 holes, so that is a big plus for them in my book.

That's weird about the Rockfords you heard. Every set I've ever heard I thought sounded great, but then again, I don't know a whole lot about audio.

ttocs said:
I would recomend you go out and listen to these brands and make up your own mind before ordering what you hear sounds the best online. I, personally have never been a fan of kicker. They are alright for what you can expect to find at the flea market but between them an rf I would go rf, and I hate best buy(long story). Everyone has their own opinions so it is best you listen and form your own.

Yea, I'm gonna try and do that sometime. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I was just wondering if there were any brands in my price range that someone highly recommended or really disapproved of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online