xpipe/ catback fitment issue

Maniak87

Reaction score
i have fms shorty headers, bbk o/r xpipe, and a borla catback (unsure of what type)

it had a bassani catted x-pipe on when i bought it and i switched to the bbk. after i installed it, it sounded like it was leakin.

it backfires more than normal when coming down in rpm's. it did not do this with the bassani piece in there. i was lookin at the connection from the bbk to the borla c/b and it doesnt look like it fits well. the diameter of each pipe is identical and doesnt "slip" over one another. i just took it to an exhaust shop today to see if they could find it and all they saw was that the passenger side header to mid pipe bolts were lose. on the way home, it seemed like the leak was gone but started it up a couple hours after i got home and the leak reapeared as worse as before.

has anyone else had this problem?

Eric_94cobra

Reaction score
I had some fitment issues with the combination of bbk equal shorties, bbk o/r x-pipe, and flowmaster catback (all 2.5"). I had to have a friend that runs a shop get it all to fit neatly and not leak.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
When you say backfire, I am guessing you are just talking about the popping when the engine is trying to slow the car down. When you went with the offroad midpipe, especially an O/R X, there is almost always this "rasp" you are talking about. The way you are describing it makes me sound like just the way it sounds and not a leak. A leak is more of a fluttering/ticking noise. See if you see water dripping from the connections or feel exhaust coming out of the connections. That will also give you an idea if it's leaking.

OP
OP
M

Maniak87

Reaction score
Red96GT said:
When you say backfire, I am guessing you are just talking about the popping when the engine is trying to slow the car down. When you went with the offroad midpipe, especially an O/R X, there is almost always this "rasp" you are talking about. The way you are describing it makes me sound like just the way it sounds and not a leak. A leak is more of a fluttering/ticking noise. See if you see water dripping from the connections or feel exhaust coming out of the connections. That will also give you an idea if it's leaking.

yea, its more like a popping. it did this more with the o/r xpipe and this i understand, sounds good! but its doing it more than "normal"

its deffinetly leakin cuz it is ticking a little and i can hear the hissing.

im thinkin jbweld around the connections since the pipes are the same diameter for some reason. it should be a slip fit connection, one slightly bigger than the other..

Schiffy

Reaction score
Maniak87 said:
Red96GT said:

yea, its more like a popping. it did this more with the o/r xpipe and this i understand, sounds good! but its doing it more than "normal"

its deffinetly leakin cuz it is ticking a little and i can hear the hissing.

im thinkin jbweld around the connections since the pipes are the same diameter for some reason. it should be a slip fit connection, one slightly bigger than the other..

Be careful with the JBweld... i have an exhuast leak, or so i thought, come to find out... i have a baseball size hole in one of my cats, lol... it's ok, the new H-pipe is in the mail, hoping it'll be here this weekend.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
When you run no cats, you take away back pressure from the motor, which is the popping you are hearing.

OP
OP
M

Maniak87

Reaction score
95Grandtouring5.0 said:
When you run no cats, you take away back pressure from the motor, which is the popping you are hearing.

right, but the leak is making it worse....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online