4r70w to T-45 swap

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
I have another forum post on here about me swapping my 4r70w because of my drive gear recently burning up, My 98’ GT has a 4.6L from an 05’ Lincoln Town Car. All I would like to know is, has anyone on here done the swap? What parts do I need? How long does it take? And lastly how much am I look at price wise with absolutely everything I need to complete the swap? 4r70w to T-45

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’ve done the same swap on my 98, price is going to vary greatly depending on where you get parts. Flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, engine to trans spacer plate, transmission, crossmember, driveshaft, shifter, interior bezel, cut the hole out for the shifter to go through, transmission wiring harness, pedal box assembly, and clutch cable.

You just pulled the auto out, so you are very capable of doing the swap. I sourced my entire swap from a guy parting out a car and gave $500 for everything.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Mechanical wise
T45, 3550, or T56 transmission(5 or 6 speed)
Pedal assembly and quadrant
clutch cable
clutch 10.5" or 11" to match what the flywheel is
clutch fork
6 or 8 bolt flywheel for matching 6 or 8 bolt crankshaft(keep in mind what size clutch fits it, 10.5' or 11")
throwout bearing for clutch fork
pilot bearing for crankshaft
driveshaft yoke(this slips into the trans and drives the driveshaft)
T45 shifter
Shift knob
Interior trim for standard trans

The speedometer cable and gear or however it registers speed on a 98 GT could be different than most

If bought all together new it will be costly. You can scourer FB marketplace for parts or part cars for what you need. Finding a parts car would be the score!

I see pedal assembly on ebay shipped for roughly $130 that comes with a stock quadrant. I also see lightened flywheel, clutch, Throwout bearing and pilot bearing going for $256 shipped, which is a deal! Just be sure you get correct crank bolt count(6 or 8).

Keep in mind the t45 trans came with its own issues that were common failures, but easily fixable for someone willing.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Mechanical wise
T45, 3550, or T56 transmission(5 or 6 speed)
Pedal assembly and quadrant
clutch cable
clutch 10.5" or 11" to match what the flywheel is
clutch fork
6 or 8 bolt flywheel for matching 6 or 8 bolt crankshaft(keep in mind what size clutch fits it, 10.5' or 11")
throwout bearing for clutch fork
pilot bearing for crankshaft
driveshaft yoke(this slips into the trans and drives the driveshaft)
T45 shifter
Shift knob
Interior trim for standard trans

The speedometer cable and gear or however it registers speed on a 98 GT could be different than most

If bought all together new it will be costly. You can scourer FB marketplace for parts or part cars for what you need. Finding a parts car would be the score!

I see pedal assembly on ebay shipped for roughly $130 that comes with a stock quadrant. I also see lightened flywheel, clutch, Throwout bearing and pilot bearing going for $256 shipped, which is a deal! Just be sure you get correct crank bolt count(6 or 8).

Keep in mind the t45 trans came with its own issues that were common failures, but easily fixable for someone willing.
My 4r70w currently has the VSS since my speedometer isnt digital. My buddy at work has a T-5 in his shop he wants to sell me. Would that essentially be the same stuff you mentioned except needing an adapter for the bell housing to motor since the the T-5 was used for the 5.0. And when you guys both say driveshaft, would I need a new one? Is the automatic trans driveshaft a different size length wise (trans to rear diff) or is it something to do with the spline, and why wouldnt my current flywheel work? what is different about it?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
My 4r70w currently has the VSS since my speedometer isnt digital. My buddy at work has a T-5 in his shop he wants to sell me. Would that essentially be the same stuff you mentioned except needing an adapter for the bell housing to motor since the the T-5 was used for the 5.0. And when you guys both say driveshaft, would I need a new one? Is the automatic trans driveshaft a different size length wise (trans to rear diff) or is it something to do with the spline, and why wouldnt my current flywheel work? what is different about it?
T5 won’t work, the bell housing is wrong.

The automatic driveshaft will work if you change the yoke. The splines are different from 4r70 to t45

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Your current automatic "flywheel" is called a flexplate and its linking the engine to the transmissions torque converter. A flywheel holds the clutch assembly and is the power transfer link to the transmission.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Now what about intercooler because I know the manual doesnt have trans lines going to the radiator like the automatic does. So would I need a new radiator, or can I cap the lines, if so where?

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Just cap off cooler and remove the lines
So with everything all and all, if I got completely prepared, had all my parts lined up and ready, all the necessary tools, and lets just say everything goes as planned, how long would it take to manual swap?

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
I’ve done the same swap on my 98, price is going to vary greatly depending on where you get parts. Flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, engine to trans spacer plate, transmission, crossmember, driveshaft, shifter, interior bezel, cut the hole out for the shifter to go through, transmission wiring harness, pedal box assembly, and clutch cable.

You just pulled the auto out, so you are very capable of doing the swap. I sourced my entire swap from a guy parting out a car and gave $500 for everything.
And referring to what I had just said above ^. How long did it take you, also I did some research about it, this one guy had to take out his whole steering column inorder to get the pedal assembly on, did you have to do that. For instance what are some thing about doing a manual swap that would be a “youre getting into a lot more than you think you are” kind of thing?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
And referring to what I had just said above ^. How long did it take you, also I did some research about it, this one guy had to take out his whole steering column inorder to get the pedal assembly on, did you have to do that. For instance what are some thing about doing a manual swap that would be a “youre getting into a lot more than you think you are” kind of thing?
I cannot remember if I pulled the column to get my pedal box in and out or not. Part of me says no, I just pulled the steering shaft off at the column. But I honestly cannot remember.

The full swap should be a weekend maybe 3 day job. You’ve already pulled the auto out, so the manual goes back in just as easy. Only difference there is lining up the clutch with the input shaft.

Cutting the hole in the floor might take a couple shots to get right though.

All my work is done in the dirt, so it’s normally a little harder than usual. Having concrete to work on is a commodity around me lol.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
I cannot remember if I pulled the column to get my pedal box in and out or not. Part of me says no, I just pulled the steering shaft off at the column. But I honestly cannot remember.

The full swap should be a weekend maybe 3 day job. You’ve already pulled the auto out, so the manual goes back in just as easy. Only difference there is lining up the clutch with the input shaft.

Cutting the hole in the floor might take a couple shots to get right though.

All my work is done in the dirt, so it’s normally a little harder than usual. Having concrete to work on is a commodity around me lol.
Yeah recently my grandfathers house caught fire, were remodeling so when something goes wrong with my car I take it there to work on it. And with you it is dirt, with me it is just a patch of rocks they parked on so that is where I am at with it, now when I cut the floor Im assuming carpet comes out too?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah recently my grandfathers house caught fire, were remodeling so when something goes wrong with my car I take it there to work on it. And with you it is dirt, with me it is just a patch of rocks they parked on so that is where I am at with it, now when I cut the floor Im assuming carpet comes out too?
Nah, just the center console. After the automatic shifter is out, you’ll just have to open the existing hole some and drill a few holes. Go ahead and grab a new lower shifter boot.

I used this kit in my car. It fit great and sealed the hole in the floor nicely and let the shift boot seal up as intended.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Nah, just the center console. After the automatic shifter is out, you’ll just have to open the existing hole some and drill a few holes. Go ahead and grab a new lower shifter boot.

I used this kit in my car. It fit great and sealed the hole in the floor nicely and let the shift boot seal up as intended.

I think what Im going to do here is just put another automatic from the junkyard in for now, and slowly buy the parts I need for the manual swap just so I can get them new and not used so I know everything is good and also so I dont rush to do it and mess something up etc.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I like your idea. Get it going and pile parts up. Like i said earlier, i got this automatic in this junk stang i got in my shop. Id love to roll it outside. Get it out of my way. If you want the trans, come get it out while its still on jack stands inside.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
I like your idea. Get it going and pile parts up. Like i said earlier, i got this automatic in this junk stang i got in my shop. Id love to roll it outside. Get it out of my way. If you want the trans, come get it out while its still on jack stands inside.
I would, depends how far you are, like I said Im in the pittsburgh area.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Looks like a non stop 6hr drive one way. Add a couple of hours for trans removal and time for a few breaks for food. Could make for a full 16hr day. You can do it!...lol

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
So Ive decided I am just going to go to my local “pay n pull” and get a trans because itll just be easier for me. Now, to make this the best and easiest way possible for me to get this transmission out, my pay n pull offers things to pull motors. Should I just loosen the motor mounts and tranny mount, disconnect driveshaft etc. And just pull both the trans and motor at the same time and just get the bell housing to motor mount bolts off like that instead of fighting with shit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online