Gt 500 rotors and s197 GT calipers install.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Go ahead big ballar!! MustangChris would be proud!! For us peons however, the prospect of huge brakes for a reasonable cost is very desirable..

bahahaha. just saw this.

Remember: if you're not eating canned vegetables for dinner, you're not spending enough money on car parts.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Any update on these brackets? I'm getting my GT500 brakes and wheels soon. I was going to make brackets at work, but if I can buy them for a reasonable price, time=money

OP
OP
alex302

alex302

Reaction score
Sorry! No updates I had to sell my daily driver so the stang is my DD and i can't have the car torn down waiting on them to reproduce the bracket.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Sad face. Oh well, I guess I will have to stop being lazy and take some measurements to start making my own.

johnny

Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong.... But If the brackets are CNC'ed then you wouldn't have to remove them, the shop should be able to recall the cad file and cut them... Right?

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
How much did those brackets cost? My dad just blew his rear end in his 2007 GT, bought a used rear end that has the brakes on it from another 2007 GT that was wrecked.. I want to use the brakes on my car but no one seems to produce them regularly.. have to be custom made and what not.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
How much did those brackets cost? My dad just blew his rear end in his 2007 GT, bought a used rear end that has the brakes on it from another 2007 GT that was wrecked.. I want to use the brakes on my car but no one seems to produce them regularly.. have to be custom made and what not.

Where are you planning on running the 07 GT brakes? Rear braking only accounts for something like 30% of the braking, so if you upgrade the rears you will not see much performance gain. Upgrading the fronts on the other hand will see huge performance gains. If people are seriously interested in this brake setup I can design a set and have them produced at a local shop. I can get measurements from my cobra spindles, but will need access or blueprints to take measurements from a gt500 or s197 design. This bracket would not be very difficult to design, and most of it can probably be reverse engineered from pictures of the bracket alex has. I cant imagine the brackets being more then $100 though...

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I was going to put them on the front and then just replace my pads and rotors int he back.
Actually is it possible to take my front brakes and put them on the back? Not very familiar with brakes at all so idk.. It would be cool if I could put the S197 brakes on my fronts and put my front calipers on the back along with new rotors and pads...

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I was going to put them on the front and then just replace my pads and rotors int he back.
Actually is it possible to take my front brakes and put them on the back? Not very familiar with brakes at all so idk.. It would be cool if I could put the S197 brakes on my fronts and put my front calipers on the back along with new rotors and pads...

anything is possible, the only problem is how they are mounted, and the major problem is then you would no longer have parking brakes.... I think the amount of work needed to do this would not be worth it, and the brackets would be really expensive, also the rotors on the front may not work on the back. The front rotors sit on a hub, where the rears sit on a axle. I don't think this would be worth the time/money when you could just get cobra rear brakes, and s197 fronts to work fairly easily

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Wait so would there be an issue putting rear S197 brakes on my fronts? Or is their only a problem putting front brakes on rears.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Either way.. Sell the s197 stuff and grab the cobra stuff from autozone for under $300
!

agreed!

I really doubt you can use the rear breaks for the front of your car..

correct!

Wait so would there be an issue putting rear S197 brakes on my fronts? Or is their only a problem putting front brakes on rears.

Either way you will run into issues. The rear brakes have a parking brake feature which is unnecessary on the fronts, also the rear rotors will not fit on the fronts due to the different mounting design, also typically rear brakes are much smaller then front brakes and do less work= less powerful, you may actually be hurting the performance by putting rears on the fronts. Even if you can adapt the front brakes to work on the rear they will cost a lot, and may overpower the rear, locking up the tires and putting your life and car at risk. I would say the only reasonable way to use S197 brakes would be fronts on front, and rear on rear (if possible). The front adapter looks simple, the rear end should be fairly simple as well considering they both use a 8.8 with minor changes

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
!

agreed!

correct!

Either way you will run into issues. The rear brakes have a parking brake feature which is unnecessary on the fronts, also the rear rotors will not fit on the fronts due to the different mounting design, also typically rear brakes are much smaller then front brakes and do less work= less powerful, you may actually be hurting the performance by putting rears on the fronts. Even if you can adapt the front brakes to work on the rear they will cost a lot, and may overpower the rear, locking up the tires and putting your life and car at risk. I would say the only reasonable way to use S197 brakes would be fronts on front, and rear on rear (if possible). The front adapter looks simple, the rear end should be fairly simple as well considering they both use a 8.8 with minor changes

Only reason I would want to put the S197 rear brake on my front is because the rotor is bigger and it's a dual piston instead of a single piston. It would be an upgrade over my fronts and not a down grade.
I would also only move the brakes I have I'm the front to the back because that would, again be upgrading my backs. So both the front and backs would be upgrade. But it sounds like the best thing to do is put the s197 brakes on my backs and upgrade my fronts with cobra brakes or something.

My GT stock brakes- 10.8" front 10.5" rear
2007 GT stock rear brakes- 11.8"
1994 Cobra brakes- 13" front 11.6" rear

So if I did cobra fronts and S197 backs I would actually be better off than doing cobra fronts a rears. $100 for adapter brackets and a free set of rear brakes, just have to find a cheap set of cobra fronts.

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Only reason I would want to put the S197 rear brake on my front is because the rotor is bigger and it's a dual piston instead of a single piston. It would be an upgrade over my fronts and not a down grade.
I would also only move the brakes I have I'm the front to the back because that would, again be upgrading my backs. So both the front and backs would be upgrade. But it sounds like the best thing to do is put the s197 brakes on my backs and upgrade my fronts with cobra brakes or something.

My GT stock brakes- 10.8" front 10.5" rear
2007 GT stock rear brakes- 11.8"
1994 Cobra brakes- 13" front 11.6" rear

So if I did cobra fronts and S197 backs I would actually be better off than doing cobra fronts a rears. $100 for adapter brackets and a free set of rear brakes, just have to find a cheap set of cobra fronts.

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk

in ways yes it could be cheaper. those adapter plates Alex used were for fronts, he stuck with the stock rears. The rear brackets are not made to my knowledge and would have to me designed and made from scratch, If I can get a s197 for measurements I could probably make a set of adapters. The fronts wouldn't be too bad. Price isn't set at $100 but I dont see them being much more.

Another thing to look into is the actual calipers themselves. Just because they are dual piston doesn't mean much, each caliper has different clamping pressure, and because they are rear brakes they are typically less powerful because they are not needed as much as the fronts. a dual piston front caliper will be more powerful then a dual piston rear caliper, meaning that you may not really upgrade anything putting them on the front. It's hard to tell because there really isn't a spec on them for clamping pressure, but there are much better options out there for what you could have into the setup

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online