Rio Red 98 GT Build

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Let me tell you about the stock PS rack and stock oil pan...oh yeah, they don't mate well.
I remember you going through all that. Right now, I’ve got 1/16”-1/8” clearance between the rack and pan. I think the poly offset bushings will work out alright.

weendoggy

Reaction score
I remember you going through all that. Right now, I’ve got 1/16”-1/8” clearance between the rack and pan. I think the poly offset bushings will work out alright.
Honestly, that's exactly what I had when I did mine and I had offset MM bushings in mine, lowered all the way. Thought o.k. at the time, but found out later. Hope yours won't give you fits. Just keep watch.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Finally catching up on everything in here that I've missed the past few years and as always I'm blown away from the amount of work you get done in such a short amount of time. When something goes wrong you dive straight into finding the problem and coming up with the solution...when my stuff breaks or just goes wrong I don't even wanna look at it lol. That's a big bummer about your paint though, I knew it got repainted but guess I missed about the clear coming off. So what's next, still waiting on offset rack bushings?

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Finally catching up on everything in here that I've missed the past few years and as always I'm blown away from the amount of work you get done in such a short amount of time. When something goes wrong you dive straight into finding the problem and coming up with the solution...when my stuff breaks or just goes wrong I don't even wanna look at it lol. That's a big bummer about your paint though, I knew it got repainted but guess I missed about the clear coming off. So what's next, still waiting on offset rack bushings?
Thanks man, I really appreciate the kind words. The paint failing is definitely a kick in the balls, but I’ve got everything I need to repaint it again.

The offset rack bushings and new steering shaft should be delivered tomorrow. Have to finish mounting the power steering pump and reservoir. Then order the correct lines for it and I’ll be running again.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Finished up the bracket for the power steering pump. It’s not pretty, but it’s effective. I’m ok with it. I clean up some of the welds, rounded most of the corners, and hit it with some black paint. It’ll do. IMG_1115.jpegIMG_1116.jpeg

Got the offset rack bushings installed and as of now, I have about 1/4” of oil pan clearance. Mounted the pump and made up the lines. Then secured the reservoir with zip ties. It’ll do until I make up a bracket for it.
IMG_1117.jpegIMG_1118.jpegIMG_1119.jpeg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
try? Try not! Do, or do not!

I am not sure what ya mean about the bracket not being pretty now with a coat of paint and all. Looks good and solid.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Got the offset rack bushings installed and as of now, I have about 1/4” of oil pan clearance. Mounted the pump and made up the lines. Then secured the reservoir with zip ties. It’ll do until I make up a bracket for it.
Just keep watch on the rack-to-pan area just behind the rack where the pan clears. If you can push some cardboard in that area often, you should be o.k.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Picked up an ESS blower for the car today. They don’t make a kit for a swap car, so I have to piece it together. Luckily I found a guy somewhat local that was selling some parts. Now to collect the rest. IMG_1157.jpegIMG_1158.jpegIMG_1159.jpeg

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Mustang lifestyle put one on a new edge . They got videos on the install . Congrats on the blower these are killer blowers
He’s actually the guy that told me about them. We were at pri and a tuning class in 2022 and he told me to use this blower.

I installed one on a 2020 mustang this past summer and it was fantastic. On 6 psi it made 633 rwhp and IAT only came up 15° through the pull then came right back down

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Today was pretty productive, no pictures to go along though. I had a checklist to follow and got most of it accomplished. I had to extend the exhaust on the passenger side to meet up to the header, in the midst of doing this I found out my welder doesn’t really want to weld anymore so I fought with that. It’s not pretty, but it works.

So I got it fired up and took it for a test drive.

I am very pleased to report a successful first drive. Initial impressions of everything:

The FTBR bushing kit should be mandatory for any irs equipped car. The rear end is so free moving now and I think it even rides better.

The gears seem to be set up correctly, they are quiet as can be, and smooth. We’ll see how they wear in.

Power steering is phenomenal. I’ve got the pump set full tilt and it’s nice. Going to be a learning curve on how to drive it.

All seems good, so far. Need to schedule an alignment now because I jacked it all up front and rear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online