Subframe Connectors

GDawg

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
G
OnyxCobra said:
do you have any pics i can see to better understand where your'e talking about? I'm no handling expert but just from how it looks I'd say the Matrix brace kit would be a lot more rigic than the MM full length SFC, but thats just a hunch as I have no proof.

Go back to the first page, and take a look at the subframe connectors by KB, and then take a look at the MM full length ones up in this page. Do you see how the MM pieces are almost twice as wide, and go from one end of the subframe all the way to the other one? Which one do you think will hold the subframes aligned better? A thinner shorter rail, or a longer thicker rail? As far as the matrix brace goes, it is also very short, and covers the same amount of distance over a week spot on rocker panels, which is not the place I'd be looking for to make the car more rigid.

I don't see the MM SFC you are speaking of. But you have your apples mixed with your Macs... The KB kit that I have was on the market over 10 years ago and now the company is no longer in business. You are comparing a 10 year old product to a relatively new XL product by MM. The standard Subs from MM were no longer and if anything, were shorter. Kenny Brown produced a nice product and I don't see how you can act like that kit doesn't do the job over what was available during those years. Just cause someone came out with a heavier duty SFC doesn't mean the kit got worse.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I don't know about the MM full length subframes, but Griggs Racing already had their shit together from the get go, and their subframe connector kit was still better than KB. And even if you have a subframe connector that's the same length, you are still missing the point that the KB connector is much thinner, and therefore not as stiff as the MM, Griggs, or GW piece.

GDawg

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
I don't know about the MM full length subframes, but Griggs Racing already had their **** together from the get go, and their subframe connector kit was still better than KB. And even if you have a subframe connector that's the same length, you are still missing the point that the KB connector is much thinner, and therefore not as stiff as the MM, Griggs, or GW piece.

If you can find the specs from 1999 on all those products then please post them. I don't know if you were in the community back then but I remember the products that were available at the time. I think Griggs was the only ones close with tubular structures.

GDawg

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
I don't know about the MM full length subframes,
ReplicaR said:
I don't know about the MM full length subframes, but Griggs Racing already had their **** together from the get go, and their subframe connector kit was still better than KB. And even if you have a subframe connector that's the same length, you are still missing the point that the KB connector is much thinner, and therefore not as stiff as the MM, Griggs, or GW piece.
I don't know about the MM full length subframes, but...

Wait... in your earlier post weren't you comparing KB to MM???

ReplicaR

Reaction score
GDawg said:
Wait... in your earlier post weren't you comparing KB to MM???

See post #39

GDawg said:
If you can find the specs from 1999 on all those products then please post them. I don't know if you were in the community back then but I remember the products that were available at the time. I think Griggs was the only ones close with tubular structures.

I doubt I will be able to find specs from way back then, but I'm sure a call to either MM or Griggs will give you all the info you need. Also, I do understand that maybe back in 1999 KB stuff was good perhaps, but someone is deliberating to buy them now.

OP
OP
CanaryGT

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Can I come to CA Replica and you take me to some tracks and teach me some stuff. I want to go out and do some small road race stuff...

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Next time I'm instructing is gonna be in August. Check with SpeedTrialUSA, they should have the registration for the next event open in May. This is gonna be at Big Willow, which is a fast course, but it's fun as hell.

www.speedtrialusa.comhttp://

What I'd recommend doing however, is signing up with NASA, and doing events with them. You will get in depth instruction, but on your own tracks. You live in Arizona, right? There is an Arizona chapter of NASA, and you don't have to drive to So.Cal, to enjoy a nice track experience. Remember, you only get one first time, so make it memorable.

www.nasaproracing.comhttp://

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen KB's first hand, they're almost half the size of the MM's.
and yes they're out of business. If I recall Kenny got cancer or some type of serious condition and had to close shop.
right after he finished the Kenny Brown Expedition I think.

On subs:
Granted thickness gives you strength, and wieght!
but like Replica was saying size = strength.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
I'm happy with my MM FLSFC's. They get the job done

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dalamar said:

yeah you can definitely tell they are smaller but what i'm wondering is how much this actually makes a difference, and if maybe teh MM ones are a bit overkill. I can't see the smaller ones flexing that much but who knows.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well, body flex is bad.
It effects how your car tracks down the road, and how your suspension alignes and responds, especially under a load/launch.

I dont' think they're overkill. they unibody chassis needs to be reinforced.
they're a cheap mod anyway.
funny how there's always so much discussion on simple stuff like this.

GDawg

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
and yes they're out of business. If I recall Kenny got cancer or some type of serious condition and had to close shop.
right after he finished the Kenny Brown Expedition I think.

On subs:
Granted thickness gives you strength, and wieght!
but like Replica was saying size = strength.

Yes, you can't buy them anymore. Good setup back in the day. I'm sure still better than nothing and probably with the whole kit, still better than just present day subs alone.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think they're better than the XL subs.
just my opinion, relative to seeing both, and years of experience in welding and fabrication.

The "Matrix" is really just a jacking rail, that offers some chassis stiffening off the pinch weld.

GDawg

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
just my opinion, relative to seeing both, and years of experience in welding and fabrication.

The "Matrix" is really just a jacking rail, that offers some chassis stiffening off the pinch weld.
Dalamar said:

The XLs were not around when this kit was developed.

I'm sure if KB were still around their kit would be much evolved.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
yeah you can definitely tell they are smaller but what i'm wondering is how much this actually makes a difference, and if maybe teh MM ones are a bit overkill. I can't see the smaller ones flexing that much but who knows.

lol. too much stiffness. Drive a BMW, or a Miata, and then tell me if there is too much stiffness. Our cars with subframe connectors and 4 point roll bars are still not as stiff as a 15 year old bimmer or mazda which are monocock.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
OnyxCobra said:

lol. too much stiffness. Drive a BMW, or a Miata, and then tell me if there is too much stiffness. Our cars with subframe connectors and 4 point roll bars are still not as stiff as a 15 year old bimmer or mazda which are monocock.

lol i didnt say they were too stiff, relax.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online