Things some ppl dont do...help your car idle and run smooth!

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of people forget to clean their MAF, ACT sensors and as well forget to clean their IAC. You should also check your setting on your TPS. Doing these 4 things can cure lots of common 'stumbling' and cure many idle problems. These are easy steps to do and should be done once a year at least I would say. When you are doing this once you are finished reset your computer by taking the negative terminal off your battery for at least 30 minutes.

FOR MORE HELP VIEW THIS LINK:
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/maintain.php

HISSIN50

Reaction score
Good tip. I would add to clean, ohm-out (checking for calibration) or replace the ECT periodically as well. It really can affect fuel trim and the sensor is suscepted to a nasty environment.

Ram000

Reaction score
what type of cleaner works best--carb cleaner or electrical cleaner?

wytstang

Reaction score
Another good tip that ALOT of people don't do is change your diff fluid, grease and suspension parts (if you can), and tranny fluid.

CManT1914

Reaction score
Also periodically check your timing. When mine got out of whack, my idle was really crappy for a while.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
I throw a bottle of lucas oil in every time I change the trans oil and filter. Pretty sure its working wonders down there.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Oh, another maintenance thing, bleed the air out of your brakes.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Very interesting, will have to leave it out next trans fluid change.

wytstang

Reaction score
Do what I did and just swicth to Amsoil ATF my tranny shifts better when cold then it did with the ford tranny fluid.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Synthetics work well.
Even a synthetic blend is much better than plain oil.

Adam

Reaction score
wytstang said:
Another good tip that ALOT of people don't do is change your diff fluid, grease and suspension parts (if you can), and tranny fluid.

Its funny that you should mention this fact. Isn't it odd that you used to be able to grease suspension components, I mean almost everything had a grease fitting on it, and now? Nothing does anymore. You know why that is? because that increases the operating costs of a vehicle. Its is the same thinking that is used when it comes to installing a tune or should I say lack there of a tune in a car from the factory. They actually learn at such low loads and rpms yet they apply these "learned corrections" to WOT, full load applications, now that is scary. I can honestly say, that I think a preventitive maintenance item would be to get the MAF transfer function set up correctly. It just makes everything else work better together.

wytstang

Reaction score
Its funny that you should mention this fact. Isn't it odd that you used to be able to grease suspension components, I mean almost everything had a grease fitting on it, and now? Nothing does anymore. You know why that is?
To my understanding it had more to do with the average Joe using inferior grease. After time all the good grease was forced out and the inexpensive grease is left. The properties in the economy grease falls short compared to good grease in heat transfer, anticorrosion, rust inhibitors. This was forcing companies to warranty items more then what they liked, so by switching to greased for life components it actually did decrease component failure. At least that's what I heard through the grape/great vine.

Adam

Reaction score
wytstang said:
Its funny that you should mention this fact. Isn't it odd that you used to be able to grease suspension components, I mean almost everything had a grease fitting on it, and now? Nothing does anymore. You know why that is?
To my understanding it had more to do with the average Joe using inferior grease. After time all the good grease was forced out and the inexpensive grease is left. The properties in the economy grease falls short compared to good grease in heat transfer, anticorrosion, rust inhibitors. This was forcing companies to warranty items more then what they liked, so by switching to greased for life components it actually did decrease component failure. At least that's what I heard through the grape/great vine.

Thats a cool grapevine. :) now lets use some good ole fashion common sense, I will take "bad" grease over NO grease anyday. That is just silly. freakin grease is grease(not really but in an automotive application its similar). There is no such thing that is greased "for life" I just put new ball joints in a car that is a 1998 model, I almost destroyed a 12 ton press getting the ball joints out, they were dry as a cobb. It reduced the operating costs. Period. Sorry to ruin your good story though man.

Adam

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online