Things some ppl dont do...help your car idle and run smooth!

Nacho

Reaction score
^^ I have that link saved as well. Good info. One thing I saw on there is that they think 94-95 can adjust their TPS. SN TPS' are NON adjustable. Only Fox tps' are.

voidfinger

Reaction score
so i couldn't adjust the TPS? Then what if its reading wrong? Wow and that article really helped out too. thanks

Nacho

Reaction score
if it's reading wrong, then you have to get a new one. I swapped to a 93 TB so I can adjust my TPS, which really helps with small driveability issues like the one mentioned.

voidfinger

Reaction score
o ok well i dont have a 5.0 i got the 4.6 so i guess if it reads wrong then i got to buy another one.... Well i have a problem with mine too, sometimes when i crank it up it stumbles and falls almost to 100 rpm and then back up to warm up rpm and then sometimes it just dies.... I've cleaned my IAC a couple times since it started and i have no clue what could be causing it... Any helP?

Nacho

Reaction score
try another iac, cause idle issues are either a dirty iac or maf and the tb not reading correctly.

voidfinger

Reaction score
I'm going to try all that stuff that site said and i'm going to do a major cleaning of the IAC. I'm going to fill it up with carb cleaner and close the ends of it so it can't get out and let it sit for a while and then shake the shit out of it. lol maybe that will work and i'll clean out my plenum and t/b and check the TPS and set the idal on it . Maybe it will work. While i'm at it i'm going to get new plugs too since those auto lite platnums have about 3ok on them now and they look like shit.

??? Does anyone recommend running copper in these cars??? I've heard some people say that copper performed better but didn't last as long as the platnums. How long will they usually last?

Nacho

Reaction score
i'm not sure on the 4.6s but copper plugs are the best for 5.0s.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
when cleaning the maf its always best to clean it opposite of air flow dont know if that played a part.....

so about this maitence stuff wheres a good place to get winter air for the tires and a good place to get the muffler bearings replaced? lol

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
tRaV_19 said:
when cleaning the maf its always best to clean it opposite of air flow dont know if that played a part.....

so about this maitence stuff wheres a good place to get winter air for the tires and a good place to get the muffler bearings replaced? lol

hahaha

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
??? Does anyone recommend running copper in these cars??? I've heard some people say that copper performed better but didn't last as long as the platnums. How long will they usually last?

i think you have it backwards....platinum for performance, copper for longevity

voidfinger

Reaction score
DFG_Ownz said:
voidfinger said:

i think you have it backwards....platinum for performance, copper for longevity

I don't think so, plat last a long time. and tell me about your nitrous kit.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
i have heard a lot of people say that copper runs better in our cars...i need to do a tune up on the 94...i got double platinum in the 93 and run 110 and it runs amazing!

voidfinger

Reaction score
tRaV_19 said:
and run 110 and it runs amazing!

OF course it runs great lol, you could stick smoldering sticks into the plug holes and detonate 110 octain. lol

smasher41

Reaction score
I set my base idle and cleaned my IAC today, wow did it make one heck of a difference.

The base idle was set under 500 rpm....the engine would stall out i n about 10 seconds after cranking it up!
I had to turn it quite a bit to get it up to 800 rpm. and after reseting computer it idles much smoother, and doesnt try to stall the moment i touch the clutch. i guess the previous settings the only thing keeping my engine at idle was the IAC?

BTW, I was having random high rev's ( 2k at rest at the light, drive through's etc) and hasnt done it since. you may want to recheck your base idle and IAC

Mad props to the poster of that link.

voidfinger

Reaction score
Yea i just cleaned my whole plenum, t/b, Maf, IAC, and i didn't even check the idle, and i put in some new copper NGK v powers and it runs like a sowing machine. It doesn't buck while at idle anymore either. Now i just need to make sure the idle is right and check the TPS to make sure its right and get a new battery, maybe a optima redtop. :)

smasher41

Reaction score
My TPS is reading 1.2 volts at close, and 4.7 fully open, i cant get the sucker loose to move it and adjust

Should i drop my idle screw back down to where the TPS is reading .95-.99 volts? or leave it where it runs 800 rpm with no IAC plugged in?

Downshift

Reaction score
I had autolite 25s in my 5.0 for about 10 months and changed them to the autolite AP25s which are just the platinum versions of the ones I had and I would say my car runs quite a bit better.

Whistler98

Reaction score
I wish I would have read this 2 days ago. I just bought a new IAC for my 220,000 mile Explorer. I got it for 50 bucks but I had no Idea I could clean the other one I asked the guy at autozone and he said no you can't clean them (of course he would say that lol) I knew you could just should have researched it. I figured replacing just one after 220,000 miles isn't to bad lol.

Steeda98GT

Reaction score
Like when I pull up to a stop sign or traffic light the RPM's drop and then it starts to 'stumble' and the rpms are around 400-500 and im like WTF. So does that sound like it could be the IAC?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.