01-04 Dash in 99-00

heffe2001

Reaction score
I'm changing over to a charcoal interior, and I think the dashboard is from an 01+ (double din radio, and has the holes for the newer style buttons). I don't have the dash in hand yet, but what do I need to change to get it put in my 00. Will the dashboard harness that's on the new dash now work with my 00, or will I need to swap them out?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
To my knowledge should plug in. Possibly the radio connecton is different? 94-04 interiors are pretty interchangeable, I have 00 in my 94.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
One thing I was worried about is the gauges, and defrost. 94-00 Defrost has the relay built into the button over on the left, where the relay is built into the 01+ gauge cluster. I've modded an older button so it fits behind the 01+ cluster bezel, with a wire running over to the 01+ button location, guessing I might have to figure out how to wire that older style defrost connector into the newer dash harness?

I know they physically fit, just didn't know if there were major changes electrically. Radio being different is no problem as mine's all aftermarket anyway.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You will need to move the defrost wires over as you already said, to my knowledge the rest is just plug and play, but I haven't toyed with it in a while.

chris91

Reaction score
One thing I was worried about is the gauges, and defrost. 94-00 Defrost has the relay built into the button over on the left, where the relay is built into the 01+ gauge cluster. I've modded an older button so it fits behind the 01+ cluster bezel, with a wire running over to the 01+ button location, guessing I might have to figure out how to wire that older style defrost connector into the newer dash harness?

I know they physically fit, just didn't know if there were major changes electrically. Radio being different is no problem as mine's all aftermarket anyway.

Woah wait, care to do a write up or provide a link? I have two buttons in my car atm. LoL

sn95jones

Reaction score
Theres going to be some cutting involved on the center stack iirc. Because the 99-01 is a single din behind the center stack the metal frame (i guess is what you call it) is shaped differently than the double din so you gotta cut out small pieces to use the double din stack. don't quote me on that but I believe that's what you have to do.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Woah wait, care to do a write up or provide a link? I have two buttons in my car atm. LoL

Very good write up here about this:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...e-din-conversion-(Picture-heavy)#post13443915

Not sure I'll have to remove any metal, as that's all part of the sub-dash (and really, part of the reason I want to do the swap with a later model dash, so that a double-din mounts like it should, not with the hacked-up mess I have currently, that while works, doesn't put the radio in the correct spot perfectly). If I go with a 01+ dash, I shouldn't have any issues mounting my double-din radio, or the newer buttons at all (I've had to cut a good bit of the sub-dash out on my existing 00 dash to fit the radio and the buttons, it's just one big gaping empty hole, lol).

If I run into any issues doing the swap, I'll be sure to post here, just need to actually GET an actual 01+ dash (the one I had access to was from a 00, not 01, so not exactly what I'm looking for) with the harness, and compare the harness to the 99/00 and see what will have to be changed. As far as the defrost, wonder if that circuit could be used as-is, if I were to get the gauge panel with the dash, and have it programmed to my car...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online