01 abs light question

carbuff

Reaction score
My 01 v6 has an abs light that comes on sometimes and other times stays off. No real rhyme or reason to it. Ive scanned the system with forscan light and when the light is on it says it cannot communicate with the abs system. When there is no light it all checks out as good and passes the scan. Now if it was a bad wheel sensor would it tell me that? Does the 01 system have that capability to tell me if and which wheel sensor was causing the fault? Would the non communication message point to something other than a bad wheel sensor such as bad wiring or a faulty abs pump/unit? Since it is intermittent possibly a dirty connector at the pump?

07GtS197

Reaction score
Check the connector to the abs module. That era is known for its flaky Bosch abs pumps. I had one go out in my 02 Gt. I forget if I checked codes or not but the abs and traction control off light would light up. My issue wasn’t intermittent though.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Thanks. I will definately check that connector. I was just wondering if that era abs computer was capable of telling you what the actual issue is or if its just a pass/fail type of thing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There must still be some way to go old school and read the codes to check. On my 94 you can use a paperclip to pull codes by counting the flashes on the abs bulb. Youtube shows how, maybe see if it does for yours and try that out.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Nope the abs can only be read by a scanner capable of reading abs codes. Op I suggest getting an elm327 dongle with the Forescan app. It can read all modules and codes from all of them not just the ecu codes. That should be able to tell you what the issue is.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nope the abs can only be read by a scanner capable of reading abs codes. Op I suggest getting an elm327 dongle with the Forescan app. It can read all modules and codes from all of them not just the ecu codes. That should be able to tell you what the issue is.
so ya can't do this on 01?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
also I remember reading that the abs light will come on if the brake fluid is low. check the reservoir and see if it needs a touch.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for the delay. Ive done the elm327 thing with forescan lite. It will either pass the abs test with no codes or say that it has no communication with abs module. Im told that this means that the module is failing, a very common issue. Im currently in the process of removing the module and will probably send it out for refurb for 100 bucks. Ive got the bracket removed and now just need to remove the 6 torx screws that hold it to the pump. It will probably take a while to do all this. I will update when progress is made. Thanks to all.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
did ya ever check the fluid level? Only takes a second to top it off.
Yes, it was the first thing I did. Would that cause a no communication fault though? So I sent out my module to be rebuilt. Installed it and worked great for half a day. Just went to the store and the light popped back on. Im so disgusted with this car. Its just not worth throwing money at to try and fix. Between this abs mystery crap and the mystery of why it wont pass smog because of the computer that wont get "ready" to be tested, Im just sick of it. I guess Ill just drive it til it dies. then burn it. LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online