02 gt stumble

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ive noticed that my 02 gt will stumble a tiny bit at idle and a little if I hold the gas at say 1500rpms. Its not bad but its noticable. Also the motor shakes around a little, the idle is a tad rough too. Im about to do a tune up but is there anything I should check before I start throwing parts at this car? Also theres a clicking sound coming from the passengers side that increases with vehicle speed, can anyone even speculate what that could be? Thanks in advance. Also no its not throwing any codes only bs ones like airbag light fault and seatbelt fault.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I think I found the source of the sound, it looks like I hit a nail with a piece of metal on it. Im pissed because these tires only have like 100 miles on them! Anyway, how do I check the pcv valve? Im replacing the plugs and o2 sensors soon but Im sure theyre factory.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Just replace the pcv. When you do your tune up buy some throttle body cleaner and some maf cleaner. Clean both of those, do you plugs, change your fuel filter, air filter, and it might help to run some fuel system cleaner, and do a seafoam treatment. Also when you do your oil changes, only use 5w-20 and use a full synthetic like mobile 1.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Thanks man will do. I have a left over pcv valve I bought like 4 years ago for my 00 gt before I sold it. I just did a vacuum test on it while running and it looks like its at 22 inches at idle and is steady even if I hold the rpms up a little. And when I get on the throttle the needle will drop a few inches then jump up to like 27 inches and stay there.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Also my stang is running rich (not throwing a code though) and takes a while to warm up, could all these things be caused by a bad ect sensor?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Takes a while to warm up? Like 10min a while.... or driving for 30min a while? 10 minutes is fine, but if its like driving 30minutes and never getting warm enough, thats your thermostat stuck open.
I can see poor running conditions happening with a cold engine.

If the oil is due for a change, poor idle happens as well.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I'm not supposed to drive at the moment but I'll drive it up and down my street and the street across from mine, which is about 2.5 miles round trip and it'll still be cold. The last time I've taken it out for a real drive was months ago and it does warm up slowly I don't remember where it was on the gauge. I did flush the coolant recently and had to pull my thermostat housing and remember the thermostat being closed. It hardly gets driven so I doubt it's stuck open. And about the oil, it was done last September about 2-300 miles ago so I don't think that's my problem.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Alright......your original question is about idle issues and here we are diagnosing a car that gets driven on warm pretty days once a month? Im gonna say your car has to learn its self over and over when you decide to start it.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
It gets driven more than that, once or twice a week, but my fiance would drive it a few more times a week. I dont think it needs to relearn anything since it doesnt sit and the battery doesnt die. It died once and was replaced but it ran the same before that. Plus it will stumble on idle and under load, its not just an idle issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online