03 cobra wheels on 94-98

98-5.0

Reaction score
i had 03-04s on my 98 chasis..... with 275-40r17 yokohoma's they did stick out a bit to me.....so the fix is....keep all your suspension and buy 94-95 spindles from the junk yard ...i got mine pulled and all for pick up for a whoping $30...then i poudercoated them silver and put em on...that 8mm narrower did the trick...it then sat flush...or a little inward side.....

Scotty-Z

Reaction score
Let me reiterate to clarify if that's okay:

If you run stock 03 Cobra wheels (17x9)with 275s, then you'll need to lower the car and use 03 Termy/Ford Racing A-arms to avoid rubbing. Running a 1.8-2" drop fits perfectly.

If you run AFS replica 03 Cobra wheels in the 18x9 or 18x10 configuration, you'll need to be lowered and run a 1/8" spacer to avoid almost all rubbing. With an aggressive drop of over 2", the clearances are close, but fit.

Sound okay? Just trying to make sure we've got it right here.

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have stock control arms with 275/40 series tires on my OEM 03 cobra wheels. I am lowered quite a bit..I have never had any rubbing issues other than if I turn the wheel all the way. I just take more points when I have to turn around..not a big deal as I am not pulling u-turns too often.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Scotty-Z said:
Let me reiterate to clarify if that's okay:

If you run stock 03 Cobra wheels (17x9)with 275s, then you'll need to lower the car and use 03 Termy/Ford Racing A-arms to avoid rubbing. Running a 1.8-2" drop fits perfectly.

If you run AFS replica 03 Cobra wheels in the 18x9 or 18x10 configuration, you'll need to be lowered and run a 1/8" spacer to avoid almost all rubbing. With an aggressive drop of over 2", the clearances are close, but fit.

Sound okay? Just trying to make sure we've got it right here.

You dont need to lower your car to Run 03/04 Cobra wheels. you can run 100% stock suspension on run 03/04 cobra wheels. They are just a ford 17x9 wheels... same as the 17x9 95'R wheels.

.....Scotty Doesnt Know

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Vyj1C8ogtE

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Actually Scotty does know. My car rubs less with an almost 2 1/2" drop than stock. 18x10 with 315s is actually almost undrivable at stock ride height. Why? Before lowering, the inner tire was at the narrowest part of the inner wheel well. After lowering, the wheel tucks up higher into a wider part of the wheel well. I've got 1/8" spacers now and it is drivable no problem but I am rubbing my fenders a bit and would not want to auto X with that much tire out back for clearance reasons.

Scotty-Z

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
You dont need to lower your car to Run 03/04 Cobra wheels. you can run 100% stock suspension on run 03/04 cobra wheels. They are just a ford 17x9 wheels... same as the 17x9 95'R wheels.

.....Scotty Doesnt Know

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Vyj1C8ogtE
:) I figured it was only a matter of time before someone on this board mentioned that as well. :knuppel2: Seems to have happened on every GM/LSx-based site as well. I based my information solely on what I'd read from Red's posts as he restated above. :dunno: When I buy my GT and run 17-18" 03's on it, I plan to lower it, but I'm just not sure now what all I'll need.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Red said:
Actually Scotty does know. My car rubs less with an almost 2 1/2" drop than stock. 18x10 with 315s is actually almost undrivable at stock ride height. Why? Before lowering, the inner tire was at the narrowest part of the inner wheel well. After lowering, the wheel tucks up higher into a wider part of the wheel well. I've got 1/8" spacers now and it is drivable no problem but I am rubbing my fenders a bit and would not want to auto X with that much tire out back for clearance reasons.

having the car lowered to fit tires does not make any sense. The 95R' Came from the factory with 17x9 icnh wheels running a 275/40ZR17 tire at stock ride height.

What you are saying doesnt make any sense.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Red said:

having the car lowered to fit tires does not make any sense. The 95R' Came from the factory with 17x9 icnh wheels running a 275/40ZR17 tire at stock ride height.

17x9 with a 275 tire is a bit different than an 18x10 with a 315.

And to most people what I'm saying doesn't make sense. Lowering my car actually gave me more clearance as me and Scotty-Z have found. It is lateral clearance that is my problem, not vertical. Tucking the tire up in the wheel well allowed me to have more side to side room.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That really doesnt make any sense Red because we have a solid axle car....so no matter if the car is lowered or stock height there is still the same horizontal.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
That really doesnt make any sense Red because we have a solid axle car....so no matter if the car is lowered or stock height there is still the same horizontal.

I know what I'm saying doesn't make sense unless you go out to your car right now and take the back wheel off. The inner wheel well itself is not perfectly vertical and is curved a bit. I'm not making this stuff.

20071029-PA291680.jpg

This is at stock ride height. The wheel rubbed the inner wheel well where you can see the brownish marks. When the car dropped, the wheel was tucked in about that old point of rubbing where there is more room laterally.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i guess that the BS you have to deal with when you run a 10.5 inch wheel...the problem doesnt occur when running a OEM 9 inch wheel.

i can see how the inner fender can hit.... but since you going even lower dont you have issues with the tire coming close to the outer fender lip?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
They are 10" wide and yes they do rub the outer fender lips as well on real hard bumps but not real bad. I will be running a 295 Pirelli for my next setup so hopefully that takes care of all my clearance issues.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Red said:
They are 10" wide and yes they do rub the outer fender lips as well on real hard bumps but not real bad. I will be running a 295 Pirelli for my next setup so hopefully that takes care of all my clearance issues.

uhhh... just roll the fenders.... :crazy2:

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Red said:

uhhh... just roll the fenders.... :crazy2:

That is not my biggest problem and I don't want to worry about the paint cracking.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Red said:
That is not my biggest problem and I don't want to worry about the paint cracking.

You wont crack the paint if you do it right..... You need to use a heat gun and get the paint nice and warm before you start the rolling..... If you take your time and dont rush it will come out perfect.

I have been a little worried about rolling fenders myself.... BUT i joined bimmerforums.com and did ALOT of reading.

...Since E36 BMWs can't fit bigger than a 225 with out rubbing they all roll there fenders to run a 245 size tire. I even went to a BMW meet to see this up close... EVERY e36 rolls there fenders and they all say if you take your time it will come out perfect.

Even though i dont need the clearance i am going to roll my fenders very soon because it looks ALOT better.

...I think you should go for it Red.... :thumb:

g_dogg

Reaction score
shit rims didnt come with valve stems.
do i just use the black ones or with the chrome sleeve?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online