1994 Lower Ball Joints

DeuxStangs

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just after a bit of advice about getting the lower front ball joints out. Got myself a decent press, but the ball joints look well rusted in, bonded to the LCA. I have cleaned the area around the ball joint where it goes into the LCA, tightened the press as much as I dare, and soaked the area with WD40. As it's a low mileage '94, they have probably been in since new! Any tips/secrets to getting them out? Worried the press will break with any more tightening!!
Cheers guys!

weendoggy

Reaction score
I've done them on/off the car and always used my suspension tools. Key is getting the correct collar support and press pieces setup. Using a shop press, it's easier to maneuver, but on the car isn't bad and used the "C" clamp type press/installer. Maybe use a good penetrant instead of WD, but once they pop, the rest is easy.

OP
OP
DeuxStangs

DeuxStangs

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah, using the c type press/installer, and I thought a bit of heat next!!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ball joints are a next level pain in the butt. If a new lower A arm with a ball joint installed can be purchased, its best to go that route. You still gonna need an alignment after the repair. Good luck

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have always had good luck hitting the outside of the control arm right next to the ball joint with a small sledgehammer - like a single-hand sized one) with pressure pushing it out. You need a sturdy setup for this and also don’t use a rubber mallet. It needs that steel on steel shock.

OP
OP
DeuxStangs

DeuxStangs

Reaction score
Ball joints are a next level pain in the butt. If a new lower A arm with a ball joint installed can be purchased, its best to go that route. You still gonna need an alignment after the repair. Good luck
I could of changed the whole arm, but a pal of mine said getting the springs off were a real pita! So I thought I'd go the "easier" route.........!IMG20230502164140 (2).jpgIMG20230502164149.jpg

d.garza18

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just after a bit of advice about getting the lower front ball joints out. Got myself a decent press, but the ball joints look well rusted in, bonded to the LCA. I have cleaned the area around the ball joint where it goes into the LCA, tightened the press as much as I dare, and soaked the area with WD40. As it's a low mileage '94, they have probably been in since new! Any tips/secrets to getting them out? Worried the press will break with any more tightening!!
Cheers guys!
Heat them up, spray and use a ball joint press. If that fails beat heat them up some more and beat them like a drunk step dad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online