Front lower arms

DeuxStangs

Reaction score
Happy new year all!
I've got to replace the 2 front lower ball joint rubbers as mine are perishing/cracking. I wondered if there is a way to change these without having to dismantle the strut/rotors/brake caliper etc, and just drop the arm? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks guys!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You can leave the strut and brakes hooked up to the spindle. You’ll have to pull the steering rack off though, to get the front A arm bolt out. Are you going to press in new ball joints or replace the whole arms?

Maximum95

Reaction score
Happy new year all!
I've got to replace the 2 front lower ball joint rubbers as mine are perishing/cracking. I wondered if there is a way to change these without having to dismantle the strut/rotors/brake caliper etc, and just drop the arm? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks guys!

If you're only replacing the boots, just remove the ball joint nut to separate the spindle and control arm. At that point you can replace the boot. That's all that needs to come apart.

OP
OP
DeuxStangs

DeuxStangs

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the replies!
Yeah it's just the rubber boots, joints are fine, replacing with urethane. So just a jack under the arm and crack the joint?

Maximum95

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the replies!
Yeah it's just the rubber boots, joints are fine, replacing with urethane. So just a jack under the arm and crack the joint?

Happy to help, my friend!

Yes, place a jack about an inch under the control arm, take out the ball joint nut and strike the spindle with a hammer. The ball joint will come loose after a few swings.

OP
OP
DeuxStangs

DeuxStangs

Reaction score
I almost forgot! You'll need to unbolt the sway-bar endlink from the control arm as well.
Brilliant! Once again, thanks for the advice! Thought I was going to have to dismantle most of the front end for 2 rubber boots!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.