2001 GT Ticking.. opinions

ft_nox

Reaction score
Hey guys just purchased my 01 GT about a two weeks ago and I didn't pay good enough attention to things when I test drove the car (Mistake #1). I noticed last week that my oil pressure was non existent at idle, but I figured eh its registering decent when I'm driving (Mistake #2).

Long story short its ticking at idle so I have pulled it off the road for now. I need opinions... I have exactly $2000 and an awesome ass mechanic. Do i swap the engine for another 4.6 ($750-850 local scrap yard)? Or is there something that can be done with my current engine?

chris91

Reaction score
How bad is the tick? Does it go away when you are on the throttle? These 4.6's like to have timing chain tensioner problems. And the factory oil pressure gauge is like an on off switch, cant really be trusted.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
With the switch being on or off though, it's showing nothing at idle that would mean he has big problems. I've also heard of a lot of the 4.6 crapping oil pumps too.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
what kind of charge would be for the mechanic work if he rebuilt it? Reason I say that is because I have been burned with junkyard engines and have seen others burned also, I wouldn't recommend that route to anyone.

chris91

Reaction score
Id replace the sending unit before assuming oil pump. If he had no oil pressure at all it would have locked up within no time.

And any reputable yard will give you a warranty with a engine...

OP
OP
ft_nox

ft_nox

Reaction score
I had to keep the RPM's high to stop it from ticking on my way home (60miles). It cut off twice while idling at redlights. I will try to get a youtube vid up tomorrow of the tick if the cam can pic up the sound.

The mechanic swapped a damn tranny in my truck for $100 at 1030 at night. (Mobile at that!) I love the guy's prices, but I think i'd draw the line at engine rebuild.

RichV

Reaction score
My cousin had and issue with her Exploder where the timing guides start falling apart and clog the oil pump inlet. She drove it, it developed a tick, and that was the end of that motor. It started and ran, oil was OK after I removed the timing pieces, but there must have been some damage because after the initial it would loose oil pressure randomly and sound like a very loud sewing machine.

Hope you didn't damage it. For $2K depending on someone to do the work for you, your best bet is a used motor. Snag one from a place with a warranty at least, and replace all the timing chains/guides before you put it back in.

OP
OP
ft_nox

ft_nox

Reaction score
My cousin had and issue with her Exploder where the timing guides start falling apart and clog the oil pump inlet. She drove it, it developed a tick, and that was the end of that motor. It started and ran, oil was OK after I removed the timing pieces, but there must have been some damage because after the initial it would loose oil pressure randomly and sound like a very loud sewing machine.

Hope you didn't damage it. For $2K depending on someone to do the work for you, your best bet is a used motor. Snag one from a place with a warranty at least, and replace all the timing chains/guides before you put it back in.

AND oil pump? lol

punched281

Reaction score
I would have the mechanic take a look in the motor before any big decisions. But I would probably look into a reman. motor if you're going to spend almost a grand on a junkyard motor

OP
OP
ft_nox

ft_nox

Reaction score
I would have the mechanic take a look in the motor before any big decisions. But I would probably look into a reman. motor if you're going to spend almost a grand on a junkyard motor

You're right.. I should have him look at it before I get crazy. The reman is a bit out of my league currently. I graduate in May and I would love to find a fix that works for me till then. If I hadn't JUST bought the car, I'd have just pulled it off the road and waited it out, but since I just got back into a Stang this is killing me!! :deeplist:

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Id replace the sending unit before assuming oil pump. If he had no oil pressure at all it would have locked up within no time.

Good call, switch could be clogged up or sticking. Its just such a simple piece I don't ever think of it failing.

talltim

Reaction score
mod motors are loud! They seem to make more noise than pushrod motors. Your mechanic should be able to put a test gauge and see what the numbers are. Back to basics; how does the oil look like when you do an oil change? How many miles? Buy an old crown vic from an old person swap the motors and then sell the doner cheap.

OP
OP
ft_nox

ft_nox

Reaction score
I checked the oil and its clean. Probably had an oil change done just before I purchased it. Its pushing 175,000 miles.

chris91

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet its the timing chain guides and tensioners taking a dive with those miles.

OP
OP
ft_nox

ft_nox

Reaction score
[video=youtube;-YCa0Os84Ik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCa0Os84Ik[/video]

[video=youtube;r5WxLVaEGow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5WxLVaEGow[/video]

I swapped out the oil sending unit before I took the vids. The oil pressure is reading correctly now but the knocking/ticking persists.. anyone got ideas before I go to the mechanic? I thinks I may have screwed the pooch.. :emotions122:

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Hey [MENTION=9338]chris91[/MENTION] the sound is deep and rattles pretty bad coming off the rev. I know there is a general rule for telling the difference between bad mains and bad rods but I cant remember it right off hand, you wouldn't happen to know what im talking about would you?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Bad main bearing sounds. If you hear knocking sounds when you start your car that continue while the engine is running, and the sound is coupled with low oil pressure warnings, this is a good indicator that your engine has bad main bearings.
Faulty rod bearing sounds. If the knocking noise sounds more akin to striking a piece of tin or aluminum and increases in intensity as you accelerate, the most likely culprit is a faulty rod bearing

I Found this while looking up on line, I would think by the way they describe it and the way the video sounds that you have a bad rod bearing(s).

OP
OP
ft_nox

ft_nox

Reaction score
My exact feelings right now...
[video=youtube_share;yyLJk-xT8Eo]http://youtu.be/yyLJk-xT8Eo?t=15s[/video]

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Hey Man, no reason to get bummed over it. If you did get a spare engine I would take the one you currently have and tear it down, find out what failed and why, then build it back up. Makes it fun when you can build one while you are still driving your car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online