OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
thanks aaron... i was all boggled. lol.

i think with 1 hat, this might be ecenomical enough for me to do the upgraded system.

can anyone help me out with a shopping list?

tank - bought
Fore hat
2 GT pumps
1 inline pump (??? maybe?)
inline filter (aeromotive?)
rails
injectors
FPR (aeromotive?)

i still have the FDPM harness coming in, will i use that?
im getting a better grasp on the parts, but im still at a loss on the electrical/computer.

Thanks to 330cube for his help this afternoon, as well!

KWClutch

Reaction score
You'll have to reprogram your 03 computer to run return style. You will not need the FPDM or FPDM harness nor an inline pump or BAP. The ford gt pumps will be plenty. You might have to upgrade your wiring from the computer to your pumps (thicker gauge wire) You'll need full length braided fuel lines. You'll need a fuel pressure gauge too to make sure you're golden.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
tuner can re-program it, right? will the car at least run (shitty) without the reprogram? (enough to get it onto a trailor?)

the twin GT pumps will max out at what HP?

thanks for the help, everyone!

KWClutch

Reaction score
No the car probably will not run at all unless you get your wiring guy to wire up your pumps to some kinda power at ignition I suppose. Then maybe it'll run fine. But still I'd get your tuner to do what he needs to do. The ford GT pumps should be good till about 800-1000 I believe. You should have no problems with the pumps. You might have a problem with the poor stock wiring.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
thanks brotha.... my uncle has been doing this car thing his entire life and isnt intimidated by electronics... so ill let the wiring be done by him in hopes of a more flawless start-up.

i was going to do this swap in stages, in hopes of making it easier to help prevent hic-ups in the final assembly, let me know what you think:

step 1: battery relocation to the trunk - start up.
step 2: gas tank/fuel system - start up. (probably running 1000% rich. lol., but only for a moment to make sure its functional)
step 3: terminator swap (dash swap, computer, engine.) start up.
step 4: body work (new hood, mirrors, and maybe spoiler.

then off to the tuning shop
then off to the paint shop.

KWClutch

Reaction score
You should be able to set the pressure and flow with the adjustable fuel regulator. Just make sure the pressure is about right. But whatever you do as soon as you get it running I would be VERY careful throttling it at all. Just get it on the trailer and get it to a tuner to check everything. It'll probably be fine but you spent a lot of money to create a cool product, don't get careless when it finally fires up.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
we might push it onto the trailor at that point... lol.... get it all together... fire it... if it runs, push it onto the trailor and off to the tuner.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Back the truck up...You're going way over the top here.

1. SVT Focus, Cobra, GT500 pumps will not work in a return style fuel system, at least not for long. They are designed to adjust fuel pressure constantly through varying the voltage (the ecu does this). You need fuel pumps designed for 86-97 car's. Your standard Walbro 255 is suficient to feed a stock Cobra engine. Combined with a boost a pump, you'll have enough fuel for up to 600 rwhp.

2. If you decide to go with the fuel mod's you have listed... You're looking at over 1k in fuel.

3. You don't need braided lines, if you go with a return style, you merely need to add return style rails, build your crossover piece, and add an adjustable FPR. Hook it to the stock lines and the tuner will handle the rest.

I made 500 rwhp with a 255 walbro, ONLY. I really needed to go to 60 lb injectors and a boost a pump to get the most out of it, but I never did. I just tried to live with the fact that my DD car made more power than 99.9% of car's running around on the street anyway, managed to pick the pieces up and move on.

Cobra's don't run into fuel problems with their stock systems until around 500 rwhp either...Again, I say keep it simple, get it running, and deal with upgrading the fuel when you upgrade the blower, later down the road. There's no need to get all kinky and throw that kind of money at it yet.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
1. can i do two walbro 255s in place of the BAP? my goal is to try and avoid dropping the tank later on if i add giggle-gas or something...

2. i have that kinda money for the fuel system... i was expecting worse than that...

3. wahts a crossover piece? what do stock lines go up to? i was going to do the SS lines now while the tank was out...

4. you're girly car wasnt faster than 99.9% of street cars... :p lol.

thanks for your help, JR. ive been reading my ford books, but they dont give you info like this...

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
1. Yes, if you want. Just put a relay back there and wire them in parellel (so them come on at the same time, I get confused on paralel vs series...)

2. I understand that, however, needlessly spending money is foolish nonetheless, save it for hooker's to relieve your stress.

3. The rails have a crossover from driver's side to passenger side rail. On your car is a whitish nylon type piece, on a 03 Cobra engine, it wouldn't fit, you'd need to make it custom. You can also add Aermotive bling billet rails if you like.

4. It was a rocket car, propelled by my awesomeness, powered by my manhood, of course it was like greased lightning.

No problem man, it's easy to go overboard with this stuff for sure.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
1. my final build will be my teskid/KB... can i set my fuel system up for say, 1000 HP and let the tuner run it at 45% for 450 HP with this cobra build? so i was trying to do as much of the fuel system now in order to make the teskid more of a "drop in."

2. JR, you are talking to someone who spent $300.00 on rear view mirrors and $500.00 on tail lights. LOL! I've toned down my needless spending, but id like to try to accomplish the fuel-goal set forth in #1.

3. gotcha. i remember looking at that last night actually... i was going to look more into it today, as i moved onto the power steering last night... i'll probably look into the aeromotive stuff to avoid messing something up/reliability.

4. sigged.

Horsepower is so addictive... ive got 194... but i need MOAR!

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was lookin' at this and im not smart enough for fuel systems. lol.

Im guessing i should buy the 98-04 set up to properly fit the motor, as it appears that this is a complete return-style fuel system.

these kits are designed for sump-style tanks with external pupms. how would i do this on a 2003 tank? if i was going to do an external sump, i would just keep my stock tank :p

I wanted an internal pump for cleanliness sake... will everything except the filters/pump still work a set up with walbro pumps and a fore hat for an internal set up?

Shame302

Reaction score
Not to sound like a broken reckord but seriously, I would grab what you can from the cobra. I would convert your car to returnless with as much of the cobra parts as you can. The car is already tuned for it and the system is perfect for your performance expectations. The guys that go return style are high HP guys, you don't need it.

KWClutch

Reaction score
x2 on that. Im just telling him what he needs if he wants to go return.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
at this point im looking for return style... i might as well, as thats what im going to be doing in the end anyways.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online