2slo95fiveOhs 1994 GT rebuild...UPDATE 5-2! Forged shortblock, fuel upgrades!

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Well I figured I would start a build thread since this is a pretty major "re-do" for me as far as a Mustang that I can be happy with goes.
I will do my best to keep this build thread loaded with pics, and I appreciate any opinions on my progress/ideas.. I find this forum to be a very
useful feedback source, and so I am going to use that source to benefit the final outcome of this car..

Ok, so I guess I'll briefly review the past. My first Mustang was an 89 Gt I owned for a year, then September '05 I sold the 89 and bought a
1995 GT. I bought the car with 4.10 gears, exhaust, wheels, CAI, and a Pro 5.0 shifter. It was a fun car car, and I owned it for a few years before I got the itch for more power. So after I replaced the transmission with a Tko, I got a deal on an engine out of an 87 gt with Trickflow topend
kit on it.
matt052.jpg

matt051.jpg

Then I (Foolishly) opted out of getting the few paint imperfections fixed, and decided to get the car repainted. When I asked for DFG, the
painter mixed the paint with quite a bit of metallic in it, and because of which it looked a lot brighter in color, but not nearly as much depth.

100_1302.jpg

100_1327.jpg

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Re: 2slo95fiveOhs 1994 GT build up from the ground up

So fast foward another year and a half later and I bought Maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors, went to test fit them and
the drivers side of my cars subframe was moved towards the center of the car by a good inch. So after a little investigation it appeared that
the car had been t-boned previously and fixed without insurance, considering the Carfax was clean and clear. So I wasn't sure what I wanted to do at that point, part the car out and burn the body, sell it as is and move on... I was bummed out to say the least. But November 2009 I found my current 1994 GT, black interior, mach 460 stereo, bone stock, 3rd owner for $1500... So I bought it, pulled the engine, trans, rearend, and catback from both cars and swapped the stock stuff from the 94 into the 95(bent subframe). Sold it to a kid around town, and for the record I informed him about the surface rust and bent subframe and he said "as long as it drives straight that's all i care about." So that headache was gone..
Now for the teardown and build up.

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

For some reason I can't find any pics of the exterior of the 1994, but I started out by taking out the interior:
1308022009.jpg

There was a small quarter size rust spot in the floorboard around the ABS sensor plug, so I had to cut that out and repair that.

Then I decided to clean up the underhood. I already purchased a trunk mount battery kit, so that would be out of the way..
I went from this:
1298086016.jpg

To the mock up:
1298085665.jpg

Then I welded up the panels and wondered why my welds we looking so "splattered"... apparantly there was an internal leak of the shielding
gas, so it was not traveling through the gun, So I eventually got it fixed, but before I did (basically MIG welding without gas):
1307720080.jpg

To now in it's current state:

1307111844.jpg

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

Then I started aquiring a few new "goodies".
Vortech V2 S-trim kit, originally plain silver (I polished it myself)
1307720007.jpg

1307720044.jpg

Ford Racing 42lb injectors:
IMG_0096.jpg

PMAS 80mm MAF cal'd for 42lb inj.
IMG_0097.jpg

Anderson Ford Motorsports B31 cam
IMG_0094.jpg

And Holley Systemax

1308021869.jpg

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

I still haven't made up my mind about what to do with the Systemax... I do like the idea of smoothing it out and polishing it:
intakethrottle.jpg

(picture courtesy of 95opal)
But I also want to make sure the "balance" of colors/chrome looks good in the engine compartment...
Although I do like this setup as far as the chrome goes:
mustangengine.jpg

I also thought about painting it the gunmetal color I painted my access brackets in (pictures soon to come)...
Maybe I will have a better idea when the engine is on a stand and I can see how everything ties in together.

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

As far as the total plans for the car, I am having the car repainted here very soon. Although Sonic Blue is my first choice in color, I have been
looking at other blues I have seen around town (for example the new Hyundai Genisis Blue= Hawt) And as far as exterior wise, It will be identical to the last few pics of the green mustang, except for different lower profile front tires.
Anything marked with a "*" is something I have yet to acquire:

Engine Suspension Transmission
87 Shortblock QA1 Tubular K-member Tremec Tko (older style)
Trickflow TW heads/valvesprings/1.6 rr *Tubular A-arms (AJE or MM)* Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Anderson B31 cam Koni SA front struts Steeda Tri-ax Shifter
Holley Systemax QA1 275lb front Coilover kit Ford Racing Alum Driveshaft
75mm PP throttle body (w/ sn95 adapter) *Koni SA rear shocks*
ARP Head Studs *Rear Springs (H&R?)*
MM Camber/Caster plates (chrome)
BBK Strut Tower Brace (chrome)
MM non-adj rear lower control arms
New Take off rear upper control arms (welded and braced)
13" Cobra front brakes (Calipers painted Red)
Factory gt/v6 rear brakes (red calipers)

Knuckles@Empire

-Never Forget-
Reaction score

nice plans thats always the most important part or atleast one of them, try and stay on target and best of luck.

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

I haven't had much extra time to work on the car lately, but I did snag this BBK strut tower brace (barely used) for $50 off craigslist.
IMG_0098.jpg

ivan12

Reaction score

Good looking build, how'd you polish the S/C?

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

ivan12 said:
Good looking build, how'd you polish the S/C?

I started with an angle grinder to get all the casting flash off, then 320, 500, 1000, and 2000 grits of sandpaper...
I finished it off with mothers mag/aluminum polish.. I like the way it turned out, but I still need to figure out the color scheme under the hood.

Win

Legend
Reaction score

Looks good man good progress so far. One thing though i would look into a larger MAF like a 90MM instead of the 80MM

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

Win said:
Looks good man good progress so far. One thing though i would look into a larger MAF like a 90MM instead of the 80MM

Hmm, you think so? I figured it's not a very big setup (compared to strokers etc..), I thought 80mm would be big enough for a HCI/S-trim
302... I guess I could be wrong though, but then I don't know why Anderson Ford Motorsports would make only an 80mm and a 92mm in the
Pro-M style MAF meters... On their website you can get the 80mm cal'd up to 80lb fuel injectors so I'm not saying your suggestion is wrong,
I just don't know why they would offer a MAF that size for those injectors, if it wouldn't work well.. Perhaps I could call the place that
will be tuning the car and ask their advice... For some reason (I could be crazy) but I thought I read something somewhere that said your "mm" MAF and "mm" Throttle body should be very similiar in size otherwise you can run into driveability issues... I could be mistaken though..

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

Hmm... Now I'm at a bit of a dilema.. Currently I have Trickflow valve covers sitting on my engine, and I don't have any complaints with them, but
my boss gave me a set of Ford Motorsport valve covers for free, so i was thinking about switching it up, although those have the oil fills on the wrong
side..
The Ford Motorsports I got:
001.jpg

The Trickflows I have:
trickflowvc.jpg

An Idea I have for the Trickflows (although paint either gunmetal or whatever blue I decide to paint the exterior)
trickflowvc2.jpg

Thoughts?

whty98

Reaction score

Nice build up Matt, wish I was around to see it happen. I'd keep the Trick Flow covers. You have Trick Flow heads, no shame in more advertising.

Good luck with the color choice. I think SB is the way to go, maybe a little convincing is needed...
DSC06192.jpg

(Sorry to whore up your thread but it needed to be done!!)

itsblue95

Reaction score

looks like its going to be a nice ride! post up as many pics as you can. and goodluck with it

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

Sean- yeah I really want to go with the Sonic Blue route, but we will see what the potential painter says.... And it's about damn time you sent
me a pic of your recent purchase! That thing looks badass.

More progress tonight.. Welding, grinding, sanding, and repeat. I'm pretty close to smoothing out the corners with light filler and going to
final sanding..
1309324850.jpg

1309324739.jpg

And after a quick spray of primer to prevent rust:
1309324966.jpg

1309324904.jpg

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

I did a little more work on the car the last few days... Does anyone have any experience applying body filler to the engine compartment?
I've done about as much metal working as I can to make nice smooth flowing side panels, but I'm hesitant to use filler to smooth small imperfetions
in the metal work in fear of the heat/vibrations taking it's tole.. thoughts?

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Re: 2slo95fiveOhs 1994 GT build up from the ground up.... Update 7/9

Spent a good 9+ hours on the car today, I made a lot of progress. I asked around a few of the connections I still have in the auto body
industry, they all seemed to say that a fiberglass resin would be the best bet for my underhood smoothing, so I bought some of that and went to work. I also finally got around to taking pictures of the exterior of the car so here goes:
018.jpg

015.jpg

Pass side before work today:
010.jpg

First coat of resin sanded:
017.jpg

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Re: 2slo95fiveOhs 1994 GT build up from the ground up... update 7/9

Didn't get the right contour I was looking for, so more resin:
014.jpg

012.jpg

And as I left it tonight:
019.jpg

Drivers Side:
013.jpg

011.jpg

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Re: 2slo95fiveOhs 1994 GT build up from the ground up... update 7/9

009.jpg

And as I left it tonight:
020.jpg

Overall I am pleased with the progress. I was getting sick and tired of welding, grinding, and smoothing. Now its filling, sanding, and checking.
The plan is tomorrow to sand down this last application of resin, apply a very thin layer of filler, then shoot some sealer.
I was hoping to get to the sound deadner removal in the interior today, but body work took more time than anticipated.
Comments/Questions welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
95cobra5

Members online