2V-4V

JStang98

Reaction score
Ive got a 04 GT motor already in my 98GT was researching and cant find much, i was wondering how hard it is to change the heads over to 4v heads and what all is needed and is it worth it in the hp gains, the money wise? Thanks

lordgufi

Reaction score
honestly its worth whatever you get out of it. but with the motor you already have you could go with a set of cams and springs and get near the same gains after a tune. its rare to find a set of cheap($600) dohc heads. Plus you would need to change the front cover and a tune.

with the anderson tool you could swap your cams with the heads still on the car, and depending on what cams you get you would need to swap the springs but even that can be done in the bay.

dafizuck

Reaction score
Not worth it unless you swap on 03-04 heads and throw on the eaton while your at it. Even then it will be quite pricey and tough to piece it all together. Save time and money... throw on a s/c.

Marvin97

Reaction score
dafizuck said:
Not worth it unless you swap on 03-04 heads and throw on the eaton while your at it. Even then it will be quite pricey and tough to piece it all together. Save time and money... throw on a s/c.
yep, its probably easier and cheaper to buy a used supercharger and go that route. you'll make more power as well. supercharged 2v>n/a 4v

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
you can do what was said.....

I have b heads off a mark 8 if you really want to go 4v, you can buy thoes if you wish.

You can stay 2v and do some ported heads nice cams and have good na power, 300 wheel range.

You can buy a blower, stay 2v and assuming its a pi with a vortech, you should see 380+ wheel.

If you go 4v basically look to swap all top end stuff, and headers, other then that shoultn be to bad, some wiring fuel and some ignition stuff.

OP
OP
J

JStang98

Reaction score
Yeah i got alot of questions and thanks for the help, can anybody give me a bit more info on the wiring and ignition thats got to be changed out for some 04 cobra heads? And a approx hp and torque range.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
hp/tq rage your looking mach 1's so with long tubes bolt ons with a tune like 300 ISH. As far as wiring, it depends if your going to stay coil pack or go with coil on plug, also some of the misc sensors. You may want to pick up the Sean Hyland book and read up on that a bit and learn that way from the side of an engine builder.

OP
OP
J

JStang98

Reaction score
No real reason just lookin for the best way to go to make the best n/a hp on a mod motor with a budget and just trying to find the best way to go top end wise on these motors. any suggestions?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
guy here with intake, tune, long tubes and k member on his mach one makes 299hp runs 12.30's .... i make 304 and run 12.6 .... i have an iorn block and stock k member he is aluminum and tubular front with coil overs....

OP
OP
J

JStang98

Reaction score
Man there are just so many possibilities just tryin to find the best top end combo. Duff Daddy what else you got done to your car and if you dont mind me askin what kind of money you got in the motor?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Ported and polished Patriot stage 2 heads, comp 270 cams, full bolt ons, money 3 -4 k??? building a new motor as we speak...

OP
OP
J

JStang98

Reaction score
Cool, good luck on the new motor what kinda numbers is it gonna put down, to me your track times are pretty impresive now and somewhat in the range were im wanting to be

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
the motor wont make much more power, alot will depend on when i get the heads off if it looks sweet then its stock bore, if its not then ill be .20 over and well go from there. also the head work will determine the dish of the piston which will determin the compression (looking to be around 11/ 11:5) so, between that and the weight of the blocks, k memeber, and a arms car SHOULD be 12.0's ...

karrarararararar

Reaction score
if you're putting 4v heads on a 2v short block you may want to change your pistons out if you're staying NA. From what I've heard the 2v's have dished pistons while 4v's have close to flat top pistons. Because of this you will actually have a lower compression ratio

Marvin97

Reaction score
If you just really want to stay n/a, go 4v. Mine is a 2001 and with a jlt, longtubes, and o/r xpipe I made 300rwhp, dynojet numbers. Honestly id just get a s/c though.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
N/A on a budget is an oxymoron.
If budget is a concern, a 4.6L 2V is a poor choice. A 4.6L 4V is an even worse choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online