2v heads to 4v heads

King.kold_

Reaction score
How hard would it be to swap from 2v to 4v?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
How hard depends on your skill level.

Its simple to obtain the parts nesasary. How difficult is it for you to do the work depends souly up to you.

Heads, matching intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, valve covers, front chain cover, head gaskets, intake gaskets, head bolts, injectors. Mount the heads. Set the cam timing. Run engine!

Its easy talking about it! I wished everything was has simple as talking about doing it

OP
OP
K

King.kold_

Reaction score
How hard depends on your skill level.

Its simple to obtain the parts nesasary. How difficult is it for you to do the work depends souly up to you.

Heads, matching intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, valve covers, front chain cover, head gaskets, intake gaskets, head bolts, injectors. Mount the heads. Set the cam timing. Run engine!

Its easy talking about it! I wished everything was has simple as talking about doing it
I would have to replace a lot more parts on the sohc block though right? What parts would I need to replace?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did you just ask the same question with a different name somewhere else?? I feel like I just read the exact same thing around the same time. [emoji38]

Either way lots of good info to be had here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You need the heads, matching intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, 4v throttle body, 4v air intake, 4v valve covers, 4v front chain cover. Possibly a 4v alternator.

Thats most of the list.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ive seen alot of folk do the work with engine in the car. Not my suggestion! I believe pulling the engine to perform the swap.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Some electrical connections are not same if I remember correctly
also the head combo 96-98 you need the spacers for the intake or the intake runners and control box for them
I think sometimes your better off getting a complete engine with all the connections on it .

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Some electrical connections are not same if I remember correctly
also the head combo 96-98 you need the spacers for the intake or the intake runners and control box for them
I think sometimes your better off getting a complete engine with all the connections on it .

Specifically known as IMRC delete plates. If you need some, I believe @CompOrangeSN95 may have some he'd sell.

900876_.jpg

I disassembled a 96-98 4V and we rebuilt it to C-head spec with a Mach 1 intake. Be aware that finding a suitable Mach 1 throttle cable is a pain and you will likely pay over $100.

The 96-98 has two coolant sensors in the crossover, one for the gauge and one for the ECU. The 99-04 has one sensor for both so you would need to make provision for the second sensor with a tee fitting or have one welded in.

You need to consider the 'rear coolant passage mod' because water get 'trapped' in the back of the heads and can lead to well documented issues. I went with Wonder Racing's kit but other options are available.

hcm installed.jpg

Another know issue with certain 4Vs is the oil cooler that uses engine coolant to function. This is prone to leaking and some people delete it and use an external means of cooling the oil. This may not be a top concern on a cruiser but anything that will generally get beat on or be subjected to constant, high RPM abuse [autocross, road course] should have this.

I'll think of more and post it later.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Another thing is the compression ratio. It's going to tank with the 4V heads. I think last time I looked it would have been around 8.5:1 with 2V pistons and C heads.

BigBore96

Reaction score
I'm actually doing this right now on a 2v. Regarding compression ratio it is going to depend on which 2v you use. Pi vs npi. Pi is lower comp than npi.

The imrcs I actually have a set of factories you can delete or I have a set of alrdy deleted if you need.

Wiring also depends on year. But it's not bad mostly extend some wires here and there.

For the coolant crossover if you use the 4v crossover you just plug one side.

2v alternator is fine.

The oil cooler doesnt work that well anyway so no need to bother with it although again depending on 2v year you may alrdy have one.

BigBore96

Reaction score
I'm using a extra block from a 4v I had laying around. Its fully rebuilt to stock 4v specs. Though I will be using a bunch of 2v parts as I dont have all the 4v ones.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I'm using a extra block from a 4v I had laying around. Its fully rebuilt to stock 4v specs. Though I will be using a bunch of 2v parts as I dont have all the 4v ones.

What do you need as far as 4v parts maybe I can help

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
About the alternator, the 4v got a slimmer alternator than a normal 2v. The thick 2v wont work with the 4v intake manifold

BigBore96

Reaction score
What do you need as far as 4v parts maybe I can help
Piddly stuff some I'm going to fab up or just go aftermarket.

Throttle cable bracket (probably fab this)
Thermostat housing (heavily leaning towards replacing this with along with the crossover with the same setup as my cobra)
Stuff like that.

Probably some more. Waiting for Saturday so I can finish painting the covers and get it dressed and see what else it needs.

The build is a close to stock build I'm doing for the gfs brother. Hes helped her a ton over the years so for his birthday I surprised him with this build for his slow 2v.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001