2v to 4v Swap

97aztecgt

Reaction score
There was a thread on here, but I guess it got deleted during the melt down. Anywho, I was looking for some information to convert my 2v to a 4v...

I have no idea where to start or what kind of parts to pull off of what year make and model cars. During this time (if my internals aren't built already) I will put forged internals in as well. I'm looking to make roughly 5-600 after a SC set-up as well. Some info on parts and anything else would be wonderful! :notworthy:

Brenton

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
i thought you had forged lower internals? if so b heads off a cobra or mark VIII and cams. or c-heads will work. cams are a choice. youll need an upper/lower plenum. run a couple wires and should be good.

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
Supposedly I do, that's what I was told when I bought the car. When I get into the car and I see that they are stock then I'll just get the internals and do the car correct the first time.

Which year Cobra would the B or C heads come off of? Is there a company out there that make aftermarket heads for the 4v? What exactly is a couple wires? For the plenum, what year should I look for that off of?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm a 'noob' with Mustangs.

Brenton

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
b heads off of mark VIII heads off a 93-95. after market heads for a 4v. i am not sure. c heads if i am not mistaken are off the newer cobras. i think the 03/04. might want the plenum off the termies. if not the 01 cobras will suffice if i am not mistaken. the wires are for the maf/iat integration.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
97aztecgt said:
Supposedly I do, that's what I was told when I bought the car. When I get into the car and I see that they are stock then I'll just get the internals and do the car correct the first time.

Which year Cobra would the B or C heads come off of? Is there a company out there that make aftermarket heads for the 4v? What exactly is a couple wires? For the plenum, what year should I look for that off of?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm a 'noob' with Mustangs.

Brenton

B head's through 98, 99-up C heads, 03/04 Cobra heads, are 03/04 CObra heads. GT500 and GT heads are also slightly different.

B heads require a 96-98 Cobra intake, the others, Mach 1 or 99-up Cobra intake. Easiest and cheapest to get B head stuff.

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
Is there a big difference in heads (performance wise) between B & C heads?

Brenton

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
haha... I gotcha.

I'm gonna start calling up local jy's to see if they have any Cobras. muahahhahah

Brenton

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
97aztecgt said:
Is there a big difference in heads (performance wise) between B & C heads?

Brenton

Some people get all caughht up in flow numbers, and if you were trying to make 1000 rwhp and go Renegade racing, the differences would matter, but either will make more power than you're honestly probably going to.

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
So, I need the following...

*Heads 96-98
*Cams: Do the years matter?
*Intake 96-98

That's what I have came up with so far. Anything else?

Brenton

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
Also, just another random question... Do we have long or short blocks in our cars? Differences besides the obvious?

Brenton

ninety7_four6

Reaction score

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
97aztecgt said:
Also, just another random question... Do we have long or short blocks in our cars? Differences besides the obvious?

Brenton

Longblock means, engine minus intake, with heads/cams

Shortblock means, engine, no heads, cams or intake

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
97aztecgt said:
So, I need the following...

*Heads 96-98
*Cams: Do the years matter?
*Intake 96-98

That's what I have came up with so far. Anything else?

Brenton

I was told timing cover and chains along with a couple random brackets here and there.

grthayer

Reaction score
hey man. there is a place in sav called, CASH-N-CARRY. last time i was in there i counted 5 complete 4v motors in the lincoln cars. dont know if this helps but it might.

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
Shit! I def know about C-N-C, I used to go there all the time. I'm going to have to make a run there with my other sn buddy.

Brenton

grthayer

Reaction score
yep, im goin today if ud like for me to keep an eye out and see if they got anything new.