2v to 4v swap

ncmcamaro

Reaction score
hey guys. i got a 96 gt and bought a 99 cobra motor complete with wiring harness and eec. i was swappin the harness's over and having trouble with the conectors on the passenger floorboard by the eec. the connectors from the cobra harness dont match my gt harness that runs over to the drivers side? in need of some help so if yall could help me out it would be great. thanks guys

NERD

Reaction score
Wow, are you serious???? Why are you trying to use that harness? You do know that ecu wont work in your car right? Obviously not. The only thing you're going to use in a 4v swap is the engine. No wiring harnesses, no COP's and not the 99 ECU....

The PATS system will not allow it. The 99 ecu has to communicate with the corresponding key and gauge panel.

Why would you start this without doing any research?

OP
OP
N

ncmcamaro

Reaction score
i am trying to use the 99 cobra harness....the conector plugs goin from the ecu to my gt harness arent the right style connector.

NERD

Reaction score
And I told you it wont work.... You'll need to replace the Ignition lock cylinder, A new pats key will need to be coded, all the wiring behind the dash will need to be replace along with the DASH GAUGE CLUSTER FROM THE SAME CAR THE ECU CAME FROM. (The key, ECU & cluster are all coded and all need to be present.)

You have to use your 96 harness and ECU.

Marvin97

Reaction score
Keep the harness from the gt, along with the gt computer. The only thing u need from the cobra harness is the plugs for the fuel injectors. They will have to be cut and soldered onto the gt harness. Its easy, they're color coded to match. Keep the coil packs from the gt also.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
97whitevert said:
Keep the harness from the gt, along with the gt computer. The only thing u need from the cobra harness is the plugs for the fuel injectors. They will have to be cut and soldered onto the gt harness. Its easy, they're color coded to match. Keep the coil packs from the gt also.

or you can just use your stock harness and use the ev6/ev1 adapters.

NERD

Reaction score
You want to re use your GT injectors. If the cobra injectors are different lbs it's going to throw off your tune.

OP
OP
N

ncmcamaro

Reaction score
i talked to one of the guys at Delk Performance and they said that i could use the cobra harness and stuff. guess he was wrong. guess you cant go of what some people tell you these days. i put the gt harness and computer back in. i was looking at the COP on the 32 valve motor and looked at the gt harness. i know i am going to have to cut and splice wires together. which ones do i cut and splice form the cobra harness to the gt harness? i am sorry guys for the trouble but i am a gm guy and helping a friend out with his. thanks guys

NERD

Reaction score
99+ ecu's send differnet pulse signals to the coil packs so if you're going to try and use the COP's you're going to have to wire them in series. Just put the motor in your car, use all the 96's wiring and ecu and then later on, if you want to convert over to COP's you can learn how. I wont volunteer that info yet because you don't seem to know what you're doing and I dont want to confuse you. Whoever you talked to at Delk is a freakin idiot.

lordgufi

Reaction score
the car is going to require an entire retune just so you know. i highly doubt the cars going to even run when you get the new motor in. and if it does... its gonna be super rich/lean depending on different things.

NERD

Reaction score
He knows. He forgot to tell us in the thread it was a fully built and turbo'd setup.

OP
OP
N

ncmcamaro

Reaction score
wow ok thanks for the bashing guys. really appreciate it. the motor is a stock 32v with a hellions turbo kit on 8 pounds. the motor is eventually gonna get built with a mmr bottom end. we are just doin the swap first and the the new motor prob end of next season

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Im so confused with this thread of whats actaully going on and whats trying to get accmoplished, what it has what it doesnt and where the project stands.... oh boy

OP
OP
N

ncmcamaro

Reaction score
well whats goin on is we are doin a 4v swap in a 96 gt. the motor now is a stock 99 cobra with a hellions turbo kit on it. next fall we are gonna pull the 4 v motor out and do a fully forged bottom end with good parts from mmr so we can turn the boost up somewhere around 20 pounds

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
cobra motors have forged rods and crank. why not just use thoes OR not waste your time and just do it right now that you can work the entire winter?

OP
OP
N

ncmcamaro

Reaction score
i see your point exactly Duff, but kinda like everyone else right now he doesnt have enough money right now to do a build motor. plus Delk told him that the bottom end wont hold over 8 pounds for a long time. i plulled the pan off and looked and the crank and rods bearings and they looked brand new. MMR shortblock kits look very stout and thats what we are gonna do eventually. what are some good turbo cams for the 4v motors? speaking eventually when we built the motor

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
there are ALOT of people who run stock gt's (older and new sn95 style) with a vortech pushing 8-12lbs from a vortech for a pretty good amount of passes. Cobra motors have forged cranks I believe, and if your responsible with the amount of stress put on the car and the air temps you can make it last for a little bit. But if he doesnt the money to do it right the first time, he will spend more in the long run.

**edit **

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Just to add, I dot have a whole lot of money but im building a motor as we speak, if needed, i just wont drive the car next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online