3.73 gears

RICE ETR

Reaction score
I did 4.10's with my aode and couldn't be happier, mind you it doesn't see any highway as it's just a toy.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Yeah that's the only thing about 4:10 or 4:11 gears is at highway speeds your turning a lot rpms and like many have said you basically have no first gear lol. If you plan to use it as a toy or weekend warrior get the 4:10 or 4:11 if you are planning to daily drive it any at all I would do the 3:73 gears which I would do 3:73 anyways with the V6 myself.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here in SoCal the price of a full rear axle from a junkyard would probably be the same as buying gears, the install kit, and the labor (assuming he's not doing them himself).
Yes the 8.8s are cheap, I got mine from a fox.

What if you can't get one with the rights gears already in it? Then you still have to buy the gears.
And I would rebuild the 8.8 or 7.5 regardless.

Really depends what your goals of the v6 are.
If you want to just drive it and not go crazy with the performance , then just put gears in the 7.5.

If you're planning on building it up, supercharging it or whatever you want... just do the 8.8 now.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
You drive in 4th at 30 with the 410s?
I do the same with my 373s.

Yeah i did lol. I swapped 3.55s in.. Way better, still pulls nicely. Way quicker now that its stick, amazing how it feels like a different car after the swap. 3.55s are the perfect street gear, no ragrets.

sixstanger00

Reaction score
Hi, my names Ryan and I'm new here! I have a quick question about 3.73 gears. I apologize in advance if there is a thread already on this forum about this topic but I'm using an app on my phone and haven't gotten used to it yet. So anyways, I'm looking to upgrade my gears to get a little more power to the pavement! I've looked on AM and other websites and they all have 3.73 and 4.10. My question is, which is better? I have a cold air intake,BBK H pipe, and American Thunder GT catback exhaust on my 1996 v6 right now. Also, would I need a bama tuner to tune my car? What else would I need to get?

I swapped to 3.73s in my '00 V6 and I love them. Might want to consider swapping to a limited slip, while you've got the guts out of the rear end. I managed to score one of the last few FRPP limited slips for 7.5s before they were all gone (Ford Racing discontinued them). There are several other manufacturers that make limited slips for the 7.5, though, and they're probably a lot more sturdy than my FRPP.

Limited slip & 3.73s made drag launches a beautiful thing.

OP
OP
777metalrb

777metalrb

Reaction score
I swapped to 3.73s in my '00 V6 and I love them. Might want to consider swapping to a limited slip, while you've got the guts out of the rear end. I managed to score one of the last few FRPP limited slips for 7.5s before they were all gone (Ford Racing discontinued them). There are several other manufacturers that make limited slips for the 7.5, though, and they're probably a lot more sturdy than my FRPP.

Limited slip & 3.73s made drag launches a beautiful thing.

Awesome, I think I might do that if I can't find a decent 8.8. Which right now, I can't so that's probably what I'll be doing!

sixstanger00

Reaction score
Awesome, I think I might do that if I can't find a decent 8.8. Which right now, I can't so that's probably what I'll be doing!

I had considered swapping to the 8.8, but since I was on a po man's budget, I decided that it be less expensive for the Motive Gear 3.73s & FRPP lsd than to track down an 8.8.

OP
OP
777metalrb

777metalrb

Reaction score
I had considered swapping to the 8.8, but since I was on a po man's budget, I decided that it be less expensive for the Motive Gear 3.73s & FRPP lsd than to track down an 8.8.

Ah very true. Yeah dropping new gears and a new slip diff in my 7.5 is sounding more favorable as I think about costs.

sixstanger00

Reaction score
Ah very true. Yeah dropping new gears and a new slip diff in my 7.5 is sounding more favorable as I think about costs.

If you're planning on doing the swap yourself, be sure to get an rebuild kit for the rear end - new carrier bearings, crush sleeve & bearing for the pinion.

A lot of people tried to talk me out of doing it myself and suggested I take it somewhere to have it done, but honestly, it was my first time ever opening up a diff housing and the hardest part was getting the darned axle assembly bolted back up to the control arms.

I removed my axle housing & plopped it in my kitchen (much to my wife's dismay) and did the swap there.

The tricky part is getting the pinion depth set right, and while it's better if you have a dial indicator, I got mine almost spot-on using the marking compound provided in the rebuild kit; there's a paper that comes with the gears I think showing what the correct contact pattern should look like.

I also used a Dremel to slightly bore out the old bearings so they could be used as a "dummy bearing" during the pinion depth setting process. Once depth was correct, the new bearings were pressed on the pinion.

The only special tools you really need are a beam-type torque wrench to measure the resistance on the pinion nut (the beam type is stupid cheap at Harbor Freight) and a click-type torque wrench to torque down all of the fasteners.

Very straight forward, and IMO, not hard to do at all. If you can replace a clutch, you can do this.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
^ might as well replace the parts that are in front of you when you already got it tore down that's if you got the money if not with gears alone without a rebuild you will be perfectly fine no problems at all but I suggest the rebuild if you have the confidence and the money to do so!

Jubert

Reaction score
95 thunderbird 8.8

should I swap my stock rear end in my 98 v6 mustang for the thunderbird 8.8 rear end ?

baddbradd

Reaction score
the t-bird rearend will not work...its an I.R.S...you have a straight axle

RichV

Reaction score
Not all birds are IRS, but the swap is not straight forward in any case.

9838stang

Reaction score
On my 98 v6 auto, with pretty much the same stuff, I went from a 7.5 v6 rear end to a 8.8 gt rear end. The gear change went from 2.73 to 3.08. That was fun it woke the car up a tiny bit. But I found a killer deal on a new set of gears and an install kit. And I went to 3.73. I love my 3.73 gears and I do a lot of highway driving. So my vote is for 3.73 hears

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
I drive my auto v6 with 4.10s on the highway all the time. Pulls nice, 80 mph is at like 3100 rpm but hey i still get 24 mpg at 80 so it can't be too bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.