3.8 SN95 Mustangs> Mods

robb15033

Reaction score
How many of "us" are here on the forum (SN95 V6 Owners)? This is by far the best Mustang forum out there in my opinion. I was given this V6 Mustang by my sister couple of years ago. One day shortly after I needed to replace the headlights when I came across American Muscle website and then BAM- It was all over, I was hooked. I had no Idea that there was so much to get involved with modifying any Mustang for that matter. One thing lead to another and it has turned into my hobby and obsession. I love spending time touching the car one way or another. Take this apart, that apart, replace this,that .... I have managed to get the car running pristine now. I am very happy with it. I know another one will be coming down the pike soon. The job market sucks. I work as an engineer, looking to make a significant increase salary wise in real near future for the obvious reasons but fueling my Mustang hobbies are a priority. It gets me high, keeps me happy. I tear shit apart and repair mechanical equipment everyday at work and love it. It will take a while before working on Mustangs gets old.
Well, my next project is getting my hands on a set of longtube headers. MAC or Pacesetter. Ceramic or not, it doesn't matter. I just can't find a really good deal on a set yet. I will be satisfied with a used set or new, I don't care. At the same time I am looking for a MAC ProChamber. nothing is straight forward or easily accessible when dealing with a V6, especially a '97. All I need is the chamber box itsself, not any primary pipes of course because they don't make any for the V6. It will be cut and weld. I heard Mr. Bassani talking on TV and mentioned he always puts his midpipe 18" out from end of the headers collector pipe. So thats the plan. Long tube headers, ProChamber, Flowmaster 10 series, and a visit to the dyno again.
After that I will sit idle contemplating Super Six Motorsports Power Pack.
As far as I can tell, although I don't know for sure- Sticking with the car naturally aspirated is the best option since the car is my only daily driver. I do not hear of reliable super chargers or turbos. I'm stuck with a single port at the moment and that would have to change before a blower was considered anyway.
-Anyone out there come up with anything unusual or new to involve V6 mods? Looking back on all the work I've done I'm most impressed with what I got out of the VAP intake spacer. I want to get another one and stack it but hood clearance and longer bolts have to be figured out.
Anyway, I got me my V6. I love the car. Anyone ever need some help with theirs and I can help then just ask. Love me some SN95Forums!

98v6er

Reaction score
I wish I never started to mod my v6 cause it would be a lot easier to get rid of her for a gt if I didn't, but I've put to much time into this car to just get rid of it, especially being my first car. But anyways here you go, a great read for you if you want to learn about what you can do to make your six pretty quick... http://3.7mustang.com/vb/f29/how-build-v6-cheap-113280/ And you can always go check out v6power.net that site is loaded full of go fast v6 info.

OP
OP
robb15033

robb15033

Reaction score
How much would you get for selling your V6? What would be your selling price is a better question.
I have been asked several times if I was willing to sell my car. My thinking is that stock it was worth $2000 or so. It's insured now for $10,000 if totaled.
Beautiful car you got, no doubt.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the blue car is gorgeous, glad I get to see it in person ;p

I did a 4.2 swap from an f-150 and did a basic h/c/i with RPM ported heads, comp 218/226 .500 lift cam, and super six ported my intake for me. Then the windstar upper.

I wasn't looking to make the fastest car around, just wanted a surprisingly quick v6, with ample power to get me where I needed to go. I think I have accomplished that reliably enough to be daily driven.

OP
OP
robb15033

robb15033

Reaction score
That sounds incredible. That's a great build, I love it. The other day I was thinking to myself how nice it would be to get another engine and build it up myself. Can you do me a favor g36, and show me a video to see/hear the car?
You can see I have kept the stock engine and maximized the minimum V6 available. It's been fun and the car runs perfect right now. I've learned alot pretty quickly. It's a single port V6 but it's special because it's mine and I haven't come across anyone with one that runs as well or sounds as well as this one. It puts a smile on my face when I get up and go because believe me, I remember what it was like before i started working on it.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I will try to get a better exhaust video this weekend. The dyno runs are pretty unimpressive, and I found out idk where to aim the camera when she's on the dyno.

Wish I would have a video'd a really sick slide I did today, but just one of those things ;p

I'll get it ASAP

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
Theres one guy on here with a Mustang v6 with a 4.2 super coupe swap laying down 374 or so horsepower and a little over 430 ftlbs of tq, thats freaking impressive. You can do a lot with our cars there's one guy putting 600 down through an automatic transmission. With my car Im just going to put LT's a o/r h pipe and a cat back and a canned tune and leave it be for a while.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
without boost I don't think we will get 300 without a .540 lift cam or something.

I am hoping come winter I will be able to retune with the gears and long tubes. Remember winter in Florida is like the good months everywhere else haha ;p

98v6er

Reaction score
I was trying to sell mine for 5 as is, but with college and major money constraints I decided to keep the six and build it to be faster than a lot of the gt's around here... And thanks Jeremy we gotta get together sometime and do a photoshoot or something... But to the OP if you want to make more than 250-300 rwhp on these v6's its easiest and cheapest to run some kind of forced induction whether is be turbo, sc or even nitrous any one of those is going to make your six really really fun to drive

OP
OP
robb15033

robb15033

Reaction score
I will try to get a better exhaust video this weekend. The dyno runs are pretty unimpressive, and I found out idk where to aim the camera when she's on the dyno.

Wish I would have a video'd a really sick slide I did today, but just one of those things ;p

I'll get it ASAP
Cool. Most times any kind of digital camera works as long as you have it behind and off to the side. The dyno runs were part of getting the SCT tune files?

OP
OP
robb15033

robb15033

Reaction score
I was trying to sell mine for 5 as is, but with college and major money constraints I decided to keep the six and build it to be faster than a lot of the gt's around here... And thanks Jeremy we gotta get together sometime and do a photoshoot or something... But to the OP if you want to make more than 250-300 rwhp on these v6's its easiest and cheapest to run some kind of forced induction whether is be turbo, sc or even nitrous any one of those is going to make your six really really fun to drive
You wouldn't have trouble selling your car around here I would think. Your Mustang looks clean, classy, true, things like that.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know how to make an exhaust video, but I didn't know where to aim the camera during dyno tuning lol. I had to get tuned, couldn't be like an email file. I should have time saturday

O and we work work on little blue any time ;p

98v6er

Reaction score
There's also always the option of a split port swap, which is relitively easy and cheap... I plan to do a split port swap after I get my ZEX wet kit in the near future ;)

Orange Stang

Reaction score
I had a supersixmotorsports modded 04 V6. I traded up and havent looked back, except at my interior. wish i woulda swapped that

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know we catch a lot of crap on here for doing it. well, not only here, but most places. I think its awesome. Not to say I wouldnt take another mustang with a v8. But I love my car now, and I would love that one just as well.

It's all about what you want. I wanted a quick v6, I got it.

Chump

Reaction score
I have a v6 and while she's not the prettiest car right now I plan on make it into a good looking mustang.
My plan for now is a turbo'd v6! But I'll I've to wait until after college. Lol

OP
OP
robb15033

robb15033

Reaction score
All you guys have done an awesome job. I'm content right now a little bit behind in power but anyone who knows me well enough knows it's going to change. I'm going to study my options. Ask you guys questions, and I'll make a move in the right direction soon enough. A turbo is what i want when the internals are built up and I'm at that stage of progress. Thanks for the info. That's some impressive work you all have done, and again, I love it. I'm into it big time.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if I had to do it differently, I would have sucked it up and paid the 1300 for the 4.3 long rod stroker forged kit from super six. then I could boost all day long and be solid.

I didn't have that kind of money though. Plus, my motor was bored 30 over, and these were only for 20 over. Either way, just remember to pay to play ;p

I liked comp cams stuff because every cam is like 335....no reason to not go for the biggest one ha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online

No members online now.