331 stroker

solis

Reaction score
[FONT=Bitstream Vera Serif, Times New Roman, serif]hey guys last year I've build a 331 stroker for my 1968 mustang that I've since sold. I will like to use this engine on my new 95 GT project, what do i need to change in order to installed the EFI and accessories of the 5.0L. i understand that i have to change to a different clutch and flywheel for the 28oz balance and a iron gear for the flat tappet cam Thanks.[/FONT]

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The firing order for a normal mustang 5.0l is the same as a 351ci. Also note most aftermarket cams are the same firing order, but if the cam is original like it may be the other firing order.

Mustang 5.0l firing order is 13726548.

Not a big deal to swap the firing order. Just swap the plug wires and injector wire location.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

solis

Reaction score
The firing order for a normal mustang 5.0l is the same as a 351ci. Also note most aftermarket cams are the same firing order, but if the cam is original like it may be the other firing order.

Mustang 5.0l firing order is 13726548.

Not a big deal to swap the firing order. Just swap the plug wires and injector wire location.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Can i use the distributor from the 95? Its longer so I'm not sure if it will seat correctly on the block, i know i have to switch to a iron gear.
Im guessing the timing cover will bolt on, i have a 68 timing cover.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
biggest difference in pre93 and 95 dist is the TFI is mounted to it on the 93 but either one will mount to it. 94/95 also had a different accessory cover

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Blocks are pretty much identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

solis

Reaction score
so basically i just have to switch the front cover, accessories, the dist gear and firing order for the cam i have.
Cool no big deal doing that, i think i have to run a spacer on the manifold to clear the tall valve covers.
Thanks guys.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not sure if I was clear above, the accessory brackets are why they changed the dist in 94/95 because the tfi hit them. So you can't run a pre-94' dist with the 94 accessory brackets with out removing the TFI from the dist, which can also be done but then the pre-93 dist will not plug into the 94/95 efi wiring.

OP
OP
S

solis

Reaction score
Not sure if I was clear above, the accessory brackets are why they changed the dist in 94/95 because the tfi hit them. So you can't run a pre-94' dist with the 94 accessory brackets with out removing the TFI from the dist, which can also be done but then the pre-93 dist will not plug into the 94/95 efi wiring.

Got it, i will use a new 94/95 dist, i don't want to use the old one in the car. just switch to the iron gear.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Will be hard to find a new Ford OEM 94/95 Distributor...a rebuilt one is still ok ...MSD I have heard are unreliable....no first hand experience myself.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mine is OEM and was working when I removed it. I only took it out to swap for a pre 93 dist to allow for wiring for the holley efi system.

OP
OP
S

solis

Reaction score
Will be hard to find a new Ford OEM 94/95 Distributor...a rebuilt one is still ok ...MSD I have heard are unreliable....no first hand experience myself.

i dont want oem. I had the opposite experiance with MSD, i will be using them for this project.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Msd's caps aren't bad. Their distributors are hit or miss.

Their coils, that's a whole other story. They've always been bad news. There is other companies who make good reliable distributors for our cars but factory and rich porters have always been most reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
lol I have had one of their coils on my car for over 10 years but I think I got the last of the ok-good ones before they went down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online

No members online now.