390 or 373s for a auto trans

95pootang

Reaction score
need your thoughts on 373s or 390 gears for my auto 5.0. tell me what you would do. thanks gil :help2:

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
3.73s if you want traction with the KB...I think

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
THANKS MAN, THE SHIFT KITS GOING IN TODAY AS WE SPEAK, SO MAYBE THE GEARS IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS.

ga94gt

Reaction score
I love my 3.73 with my shift kit. I agree 3.73 with th KB. With the 3.90 it will be harder to get it to hook.

95Boss

Reaction score
The 390's will put you more in the power band all the time, but the 373's are a better compromise. I'd go with the 373's.

ryclef331

Reaction score
This isn't targeted at anyone specific so don't take offense...but, Geez....you guys are a bunch of PANSIES!

Detune the car so it hooks? You might as well drive a stock auto...they NEVER spin! They HAVE to be faster right?

WRONG!

You need to see what you really want out of the car? Are you going to put a tire worth two shits on the back of it for when you go race or are you going to be running a street friendly Eagle F1 everywhere? If you are going to just run F1s and race everyone from a roll, fine...3.73s it is...but .17 revolutions of the driveshaft is NOT that much of a difference. Do you ever plan on going to the track? Make sure you have a gear that is appropriately selected so that you don't run out of "revs" at the end of the track...you should be in the top of 3rd in your auto. If it pegs the rev limiter or goes to overdrive. You've got too much gear. Solution is to either A) regear it or B) get a taller tire...if you plan on sticking with boring street radials, fine. If you have a Kenne Bell on a street tire right now, I'm sure traction is pretty much not there as it is so if that is the case...why make it worse.

Cliff Notes....

MAKE THE MOTHERFUCKER HOOK! DON'T COMPROMISE POWER OR GEARING BECAUSE OF YOUR SHITTY CHASSIS SETUP PEOPLE! BURNOUTS AND DYNO NUMBERS LOOK GREAT....BUT THE OTHER GUYS HEADLIGHTS IN YOUR MIRROR....LOOK BETTER.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
I agree with Ryclef, scratch my post above. You make a good point!

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
just food for thought with my 315 BFG Drag Radials heated up and my KB with 3.73's i would launch at the track around 3500 RPMS and still break them loose.

G

GREG@SN95

idk... i think gears are more of preference...

3.73s IF you don't want to buy sticky ass tires, axels and suspension mods...

3.90s IF you mean business

Just my .02

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
i always recomend a higher gear ;D lol and people that act like john force in the burnout box drives me nuts lol....its not to "heat" the tires its to clean the surface theres no reason to melt them thats what the vp traction compound is for

ryclef331

Reaction score
tRaV_19 said:
i always recomend a higher gear ;D lol and people that act like john force in the burnout box drives me nuts lol....its not to "heat" the tires its to clean the surface theres no reason to melt them thats what the vp traction compound is for

VHT Track Bite? Come run where I run....you NEED that heat.

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
so should i leave the stock gears in??? i really have no plans on going to the track,and yes the kb lites them up like no tomorrow. maybe go with 355. heres my thing im not lagging in the torq depeartment . ive done the rear grip package from max motor sports. theres a shift kit going in, i just want a qucker take off from the line . so tell me what ya think . stay stock rear with the shift kit and see what happens there??. thanks

ryclef331

Reaction score
if you're staying on a street radial....go up to 3.73s and learn to pedal it.

if you're going for a drag radial (even a simple nitto 555r) go for 3.90s.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you are not going to do any or very little track time then go with 3:73's. If you are going to log some serious track time, then go with 3:90's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Staff online

Members online