5.0 plug ?

ripper

Reaction score
What plugs are you guys using n/a? The guy sold me ap 25's :dunno:

95-stang

Reaction score
Thats what i was using, till i got my alloy heads.

Anrev

Reaction score
Bosch Platinum +4's. No gapping or indexing required.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Anrev said:

Take them out....take seven of them, and throw them away. Have someone take the 8th plug and throw it at your head....HARD. Don't run that garbage in your car! The best plug you can put in your car is a stock MOTORCRAFT PLUG. If you're baller enough, Denso or NGK Iridiums are great too...but platinum and multi electrodes....its all snake oil. You don't have to believe me but show me ONE REAL RACE CAR in the WORLD that runs a bunk ass multi tipped plug...

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
The best plug you can put in your car is a stock MOTORCRAFT PLUG. If you're baller enough, Denso or NGK Iridiums are great too...but platinum and multi electrodes....its all snake oil. You don't have to believe me but show me ONE REAL RACE CAR in the WORLD that runs a bunk ass multi tipped plug...

+1

NGK TR5 if memory serves me correctly.

Or cheapie Autolite 3923s/22s.

Unless you have some crazy blown/turbo application that requires fancy plugs (e.g. Iridiums) then spending lots of money on plugs is a waste.

Anrev

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
Anrev said:

Take them out....take seven of them, and throw them away. Have someone take the 8th plug and throw it at your head....HARD. Don't run that garbage in your car! The best plug you can put in your car is a stock MOTORCRAFT PLUG. If you're baller enough, Denso or NGK Iridiums are great too...but platinum and multi electrodes....its all snake oil. You don't have to believe me but show me ONE REAL RACE CAR in the WORLD that runs a bunk ass multi tipped plug...

I'll do you one better. EVERY piston powered airplane on the PLANET uses platinum tipped 2 or 4 electrode spark plugs. I suppose there MUST some reason for that.... I dont know, maybe because its more reliable, provides better spark, lasts longer, ect.

And just because you dont like em doesnt mean you can talk to me like Im some dumb punk kid who dont know his ass from a hole in the ground.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
either go with motorcrafts or autolites. I have heard more bad things about platinum plugs than good. So ill stick with copper

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Anrev said:
I'll do you one better. EVERY piston powered airplane on the PLANET uses platinum tipped 2 or 4 electrode spark plugs. I suppose there MUST some reason for that.... I dont know, maybe because its more reliable, provides better spark, lasts longer, ect.

And just because you dont like em doesnt mean you can talk to me like Im some dumb punk kid who dont know his ass from a hole in the ground.

I know you think that they are great and all, are are offended by the big meanies in this thread, but the simple fact is this:

For performance applications, platinum plugs suck. If you want to put them in your honda and not change them for 8 years, that's another thing entirely.

Do a search on a GOOD tech board. He's not wrong.

Paul.

Anrev

Reaction score
Paul said:
I know you think that they are great and all, are are offended by the big meanies in this thread, but the simple fact is this:

For performance applications, platinum plugs suck. If you want to put them in your honda and not change them for 8 years, that's another thing entirely.

Do a search on a GOOD tech board. He's not wrong.

Paul.

What offends me is the holier than thou attitude some people on this forum have. Like they're THE authority of all things Mustang. You say to do a search on a GOOD tech board. Maybe, just maybe I know a thing or two and dont need to look things up on Google.

In ignition systems with high energy sparks such as any system using a ignition box such as MSD 6AL, copper doesnt have the longevity or consistency of spark of platinum or iridium. And no, I dont want to have to change my plugs every year. Its a pain in the ass. They are used on airplanes for exactly those reasons. And they use magnetos for spark.

stang94X

Reaction score
now im not saying anyone is wrong or anything but my fathers friend who builds and races a Nitro dragster and a alcohol feed dragster has told me to never run a platinum plug in any performance motor, now if he and everyone else that has a nitro feed engine doesnt run em, then there no way that i'm going to run em

OP
OP
R

ripper

Reaction score
Well this car is stock right down to the wheels. I just wanted to make sure I had the right ones in there. Airplane fuel is basically kerosene. Maybe thats why they need the extra spark.

Anrev

Reaction score
Jet fuel is yes. Piston powered airplanes use 100 low lead gasoline. Its somewhere in the 100 to 110 octane range.

OP
OP
R

ripper

Reaction score
My cousin up in Maine is a big plane guy. He has built 2 of his own planes. Im sure they are piston powered. He said his fuel was basicly kerosine. Thats were I got that info. Maybe I understood him wrong when we were bullshittin. I just saw him last month in Md. I asked him why he drove down instead of fly. He said he has a runway behind his house and could make the airport in Md without stopping for fuel but had to stop somewere along the way and land at an airport because of the security area around DC. Said he needed clearance to go in to Md airport and it was cheaper driving then bringing the plane down from altitude and back up. LOL. He would have to stop at an airport before security area and do flight plan and get clearance. ??? Dunno why he cant do it from the air.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Anrev said:
What offends me is the holier than thou attitude some people on this forum have. Like they're THE authority of all things Mustang.

Who cares what people's attitudes are? It's the internet. It's not like the guy walked up to you in the park and kicked your dog.

You say to do a search on a GOOD tech board. Maybe, just maybe I know a thing or two and dont need to look things up on Google.

If you think platinum plugs are superior, then you clearly do not.

In ignition systems with high energy sparks such as any system using a ignition box such as MSD 6AL, copper doesnt have the longevity or consistency of spark of platinum or iridium.

They don't have the longevity of platinum. We have already said that iridium plugs are great, but typically unnecessary. Where did you get that they don't have consistent spark?

And no, I dont want to have to change my plugs every year. Its a pain in the ass.

Great. Then platinum plugs are for you. If you want the best performance, use copper or iridium. If you are lazy and don't want to change your plugs, use platinum. Oh, just make sure you change them if you ever plan on using nitrous.

They are used on airplanes for exactly those reasons. And they use magnetos for spark.

Piston-driven airplane performance is quite different from piston-driven automotive performance. Just FYI. The environments they live in, as well as the requirements of the motor are very different. They are not really analogous.

Paul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online