5.0 plug ?

Anrev

Reaction score
Paul said:
Who cares what people's attitudes are? It's the internet. It's not like the guy walked up to you in the park and kicked your dog.
This forum is supposed to be a friendly place where people can come and get help or help other or just hang out. Constructive criticism with an explanation would be nice. Not "Your an idiot if you do this or that" Why not tell people what about platinum makes then bad plugs.

If you think platinum plugs are superior, then you clearly do not.
That was constructive thanks....

They don't have the longevity of platinum. We have already said that iridium plugs are great, but typically unnecessary. Where did you get that they don't have consistent spark?
They are superior to copper in longevity, erosion, and corrosion resistance which over time can effect performance. Hence why you have to change copper plugs so often. When they wear down you dont get a consistent spark like you would when they were new.

Great. Then platinum plugs are for you. If you want the best performance, use copper or iridium. If you are lazy and don't want to change your plugs, use platinum. Oh, just make sure you change them if you ever plan on using nitrous.
Guess Im lazy then. Must be why I use the 15k mile Mobil 1 oil too. Platinums are perfectly fine for a daily driven Mustang like mine.

Piston-driven airplane performance is quite different from piston-driven automotive performance. Just FYI. The environments they live in, as well as the requirements of the motor are very different. They are not really analogous.
Since your so knowledgeable about airplane engines, what makes them so different than car engines? Oh wait, Ive been an airplane mechanic for the last 12 years.... I guess I could list them for you.

1) Most of them are air cooled. But Porsche, VW and Harley's all used that to so that isnt really one of them.
2) They use magnetos instead of distributors or computers. They use these because of the altitudes they fly at.
3) They turn a propellor instead of a transmission.
4) Most of them are horizontally opposed engines. Oh wait, Again Porsche, VW and Subaru use them too.
5) Most now a days use mechanical fuel injection. Dont see that on cars much any more.
6) Some use turbo chargers to change the altitude at which the engine is operating at. Its called turbo normalizing. And what it does instead of providing a power boost per say, is to make the engine run as though it was naturally aspirated at sea level at any altitude in the airplanes operating limitations. So the turbo operation is clearly different.
7) Airplane engines run 2 plugs per cylinder and 2 magnetos. They do this for 2 reasons. One is for safety. The other is they get a more complete burning of the fuel.

Thats pretty much it. The principles of how an airplane engine works is EXACTLY the same as a car engine. A 4 stroke engine is a 4 stroke engine.

Look obviously you feel very passionate about platinums being crap. And Im not going to convince you differently. I run platinums and am happy with the results. And you think Im a retard for doing so. Whatever....

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Except for one key distinction - airplane engines are run for long periods of time with only gradual changes in the throttle. You don't snap the throttle open and closed suddenly in an airplane. Automobile performance is based on immediate throttle response, and a power curve that is appropriate for whatever type of venue the vehicle's primary use falls under. (e.g. streetcar, drag car, tow rig, road racecar, etc.) Further, they run at a much different altitude range than does an automobile.

The principles of how virtually ANY piston driven internal combustion engine (car, airplane, boat, UFO) are similar, but they're not all built exactly the same way, now are they?

I don't think you're a retard for running platinum plugs. I could not possibly care less. For your application (which is daily driver, low maintenance) they're fine. I'm simply saying that in a performance application, other materials are superior. Period.

[/thread]

Anrev

Reaction score
Paul said:
Except for one key distinction - airplane engines are run for long periods of time with only gradual changes in the throttle. You don't snap the throttle open and closed suddenly in an airplane. Automobile performance is based on immediate throttle response, and a power curve that is appropriate for whatever type of venue the vehicle's primary use falls under. (e.g. streetcar, drag car, tow rig, road racecar, etc.)
Ill agree with that with one exception. NASCAR.

Further, they run at a much different altitude range than does an automobile.
As I mentioned in my previous statement.

The principles of how virtually ANY piston driven internal combustion engine (car, airplane, boat, UFO) are similar, but they're not all built exactly the same way, now are they?
That obvious.

I don't think you're a retard for running platinum plugs. I could not possibly care less. For your application (which is daily driver, low maintenance) they're fine. I'm simply saying that in a performance application, other materials are superior. Period.
I disagree, but thats my opinion. Nobody has told me WHY they are no good in a performance application. What about them makes them inferior? I would really like to know.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
What about NASCAR? You don't think they need throttle response and can snap the throttle?

Well, for one thing, if you use platinum in a nitrous application, you'll simply melt them. If you use some super ding-dong platinum with multiple tips, you can't gap them. etc. etc.

Don't take my word for it, do a search.

Paul.

ryclef331

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue about the material your plugs are made of...I'm going to argue the reason why you spend money for FOUR electrodes....

Electricity is going to take the path of least resistance....PERIOD. The shortest distance from point a) to point b). Simple as that. So you can pay for 4 electrodes if you want to.....but the motor is only going to use one of them. As for the material...thats been proven for years. If you want to run them in your dialy driver, thats your perogative. Wanna put them in for a year and forget'em.....go for it. Obviously you have a different outlook on performance than myself and paul. Noone is calling you stupid....I'm just saying for optimal performance AND affordability at the same time, there are better options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online