5.0 running bad after overheating 4 years ago. Help!

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Can you tell us the Autolite plug # ?
Did you gap the plugs?
What ecu do you have?

Autolite 3924, I gap them to 0.40
My ecu is for std 5.0 liter and the Dino guy installed a chip on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Here is the diagram where my injectors goes directly to the pcm

9648cc548948e9e2db7940f59887f9c6.jpg

fcd99bdf757ac753dfe409f8a390114a.jpg

Wmac

Reaction score
Gap on a 3924 plug for n/a engine should be 0.050 to .054.
Is it an sct flip chip with switch?

Maybe disconnect battery (to clear memory), remove chip, see if it will start/idle on stock ecu settings.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Your ground switch goes to the pcm the power is shared across the injectors. They are not individually powered. If you have some that are losing voltage, then you need to correct the wiring. Have you ohmed the injectors to make sure they are all the same?

Werecow

Reaction score
Yeh, this may sound goofy and might not even be related to your issues but the last pony I had didn't have a ground strap from the back of the intake plenum to the firewall. If I've learned anything about these cars and their electrical systems you can't have them grounded too well. Make sure that it's got that ground strap on the back of the engine as that's one of the main places that your fuel injection gets it's ground from..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeh, this may sound goofy and might not even be related to your issues but the last pony I had didn't have a ground strap from the back of the intake plenum to the firewall. If I've learned anything about these cars and their electrical systems you can't have them grounded too well. Make sure that it's got that ground strap on the back of the engine as that's one of the main places that your fuel injection gets it's ground from..
why would you ground the intake? I have heard of grounding the heads and that makes sense since the spark plugs get their ground from the head.

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
why would you ground the intake? I have heard of grounding the heads and that makes sense since the spark plugs get their ground from the head.

Even with Aluminum heads?
Anyway I will make sure to have all grounds good and clean.

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Gap on a 3924 plug for n/a engine should be 0.050 to .054.
Is it an sct flip chip with switch?

Maybe disconnect battery (to clear memory), remove chip, see if it will start/idle on stock ecu settings.

Ok I can re- gap then to 0.50, no the chip doesn’t have a switch, I did try last year to remove it but it didn’t even want to start, it took longer to run and it was running worst than with the chip on.

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Your ground switch goes to the pcm the power is shared across the injectors. They are not individually powered. If you have some that are losing voltage, then you need to correct the wiring. Have you ohmed the injectors to make sure they are all the same?

Warrior voltage is good all at the 8 injectors12.1 or 12.3 can’t remember the ohm is the one is bad in 2 injectors (7&8) and in number 4 it doesn’t reach to 4.0 like the other ones it moves so slow.

I will get this weekend to it and keep trouble shooting to see if I can measure continuity in the 7&8 injector wiring

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
When you ohm the injectors, are you checking across the injector? Unplug the injectors and check it without any wiring? They should be somewhere are 14ohms.

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
When you ohm the injectors, are you checking across the injector? Unplug the injectors and check it without any wiring? They should be somewhere are 14ohms.

One side was 1.3 to 1.4 ohms the other 2 (7&8 ) didn’t move at all

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Do you have an injector driver installed? If those are stock injectors, they are bad. Stock injectors are high impedance and should be somewhere between 12-14 ohms.

Werecow

Reaction score

From the factory there is a ground strap from the upper plenum to the firewall, I know that there's usually a ground from the block as well, but as the factory put this on there I just assumed ( yeh I know what happens when you assume ) that they put it there to ensure that the wiring on the top in the engine had a good ground as well. That's why the last bolt on the back of the upper plenum has threads on top of it. For a nut to go on it for the ground strap to be attached to. Not trying to be a know it all or anything like that I know I'm far from it. Just throwing out my $0.02 in to try and help out. Cheers!!

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Do you have an injector driver installed? If those are stock injectors, they are bad. Stock injectors are high impedance and should be somewhere between 12-14 ohms.

No, these are bigger injectors (I think ford racing) but I am not sure what is the size since the guy when He did the tuning He installed those. I don’t know about the driver

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
So these are bigger injectors but they are low impedance (low ohms). The stock ecu cannot run low impedance injectors correctly, they would need an injector driver installed. We need to find out if you have one. Also, with now resistance on two injector, I think you are fighting bad injectors.

Wmac

Reaction score
From a post about 6 mths ago, AG mentioned that he assembled engine and drove it to be tuned. On return from tuning, car overheated and basically this is where he's at today.
There are many details missing here. We know he has heads and intake, but what about cam and MAS?
Why did it overheat? Fan not working, ccrm bad?

AG, have you pulled codes?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
From a post about 6 mths ago, AG mentioned that he assembled engine and drove it to be tuned. On return from tuning, car overheated and basically this is where he's at today.
There are many details missing here. We know he has heads and intake, but what about cam and MAS?
Why did it overheat? Fan not working, ccrm bad?

AG, have you pulled codes?
He also said that the tuner is the one that installed these injectors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online