5.0L V8 Swap

WILHELM

Reaction score
I'm just curious to know if any owners have swapped their modular 4.6L to the pushrod 5.0L? Some day I would like to do this but I wonder how difficult it would be to do this and how much it costs and what needed to be modified such as ECU or any other modifications.

Thanks WILHELM

WarHorse

Reaction score
ide look into the ECU and the transmission first and make sure its compatible, im not sure if the t-45 bolts up to the 5.0.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
smart man! junk the shity mod motor J/k , yeah like they said, just do a 4 valve if ur gonna go throuigh all that trouble do a built mod motors, to much money to swap over to a pushrod .

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
I wouldnt junk the 4.6, just stroke it to a 5.0 or a 5.1 with fi, and boom you can put the 5.0 badges on your car

BigTang

Reaction score
you'll need a k member, complete harness and an a9l computer. the down side to this is the car will not pass OBD2 tests unless you manage to put a 96+ computer for the 5.0 in it, something like an explorer would have this.
The 4.6 trans will not bolt right up because the input shaft is different.

you'll make more power cheaper going carbed though. build a 351 not a 5.0. by the time you get everything done you could have just bought a 94-95 gt.

OP
OP
W

WILHELM

Reaction score
Would it be different swapping the pushrod 5.0L to a 2001-2004 GT?

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
why would you want to? the 01-04 gt's have about 65 more hp then the stock 5.0's. For the stupid amount of money you would pay to do the 5.0 swap, you could have a mod motor with alot more power. Your pretty much going in reverse if your going to take out the 2v and put a 5.0 in it

OP
OP
W

WILHELM

Reaction score
BigJohnsonDOHC said:
why would you want to? the 01-04 gt's have about 65 more hp then the stock 5.0's. For the stupid amount of money you would pay to do the 5.0 swap, you could have a mod motor with alot more power. Your pretty much going in reverse if your going to take out the 2v and put a 5.0 in it

Well the new edge SN95's are my favorite body style and I have always had a thing for the 5.0 so I wanted to put in a 5.0 in the newer body style. From what I hear and read the 5.0's are 2V as well and are suppose to be more cost effective however from what I read here my plan would be costly.

destructo

Reaction score
WILHELM said:
Well the new edge SN95's are my favorite body style and I have always had a thing for the 5.0 so I wanted to put in a 5.0 in the newer body style. From what I hear and read the 5.0's are 2V as well and are suppose to be more cost effective however from what I read here my plan would be costly.
"More cost effective" in the sense that aftermarket parts are cheaper for a 302. It costs a lot to make a 281 fast but it's going to cost more to pull out a 281, transplant a 302 with less power stock and make it work right. You have to think about the fuel system, the computer, cross-members, etc. All that's going to add up in a hurry.

BigTang

Reaction score
It really depends on if it would cost more or not.
Most people building a decent street car will buy a k member, upgraded trans, heads, fuel system, eventually a short block. instead he's just buying one thats not the same. there are a lot of people here the a very focused on doing what the magazine tells them to do. the 281 is not the performance platform people think it is. You can build a 418 that will put down 500rwhp all day long for the price of making 330rwhp out of a 281. its going to be noisy, get bad mileage and not pass emissions but it will haul ass and thats really all it comes down to.

josh0092002

Reaction score
awww just dump the 5.0 idea an throw a 5.4 2v in :headbang: would put the hurting on both the 4.6 an the 5.0 :boxing: :angel4:

WarHorse

Reaction score
i was gonna say it was a waste of cash in my first post, didnt wanna put anyone down though.

but yeah its alot of money to take on a project like that, sure its a cool concept, but for the cost you can get way more out of the PI motor. im sure you can push a modular 2v just as far as a 5.0, but for a bit more money.

ide suggest buying a 95, rather than swaping the motor. cost for a 95 on average will be about 5000 at the most, I think. as apposed to buying the engine, getting a transmission, working out all the electrical bugs, and all the extra stuff, then paying for labor.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
WarHorse said:
i was gonna say it was a waste of cash in my first post, didnt wanna put anyone down though.

but yeah its alot of money to take on a project like that, sure its a cool concept, but for the cost you can get way more out of the PI motor. im sure you can push a modular 2v just as far as a 5.0, but for a bit more money.

ide suggest buying a 95, rather than swaping the motor. cost for a 95 on average will be about 5000 at the most, I think. as apposed to buying the engine, getting a transmission, working out all the electrical bugs, and all the extra stuff, then paying for labor.

+1
Easier to just buy one with it from the factory than tryin to swap over with a newer one.

BigTang

Reaction score
everyone saying to buy one from the factory please inform the rest of us what year the new edge came w/ the 5.0.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
destructo said:
WILHELM said:
"More cost effective" in the sense that aftermarket parts are cheaper for a 302. It costs a lot to make a 281 fast but it's going to cost more to pull out a 281, transplant a 302 with less power stock and make it work right. You have to think about the fuel system, the computer, cross-members, etc. All that's going to add up in a hurry.
destructo said:
WILHELM said:

I've actually proven before, right here on this forum, that it's cheaper, dollar for dollar to make the same amount of power with a 2v than a 5.0

BigTang

Reaction score
i'm searching like crazy to find some pictures of my buddy's swapped 2000 GT w/ a 418 in it. I'll post them up when i get home, you guys will really like this one.

BigTang

Reaction score
J.R. said:
destructo said:
WILHELM said:
destructo said:
WILHELM said:

I've actually proven before, right here on this forum, that it's cheaper, dollar for dollar to make the same amount of power with a 2v than a 5.0

but to what power level? and do you mean w/ a windsor based motor or the 5.0? because you hit a wall around 500 on the stock 5.0 block, but keep it apples to apples w/ big bore aftermarket blocks and its game on for the push rod set up. I love the technology that comes w/ the 2v but there are definate limitations that keep it from being feasible to build one up to run w/ the big boys.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Anyway you cut it, it's cheaper with a 2v, look in the garage, Paul and I went around about this for about a month.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online