5.0L V8 Swap

OP
OP
W

WILHELM

Reaction score
J.R. said:
I've actually proven before, right here on this forum, that it's cheaper, dollar for dollar to make the same amount of power with a 2v than a 5.0
Are you telling me that the 5.0's aren't 2V engines?

OP
OP
W

WILHELM

Reaction score
BigTang said:
everyone saying to buy one from the factory please inform the rest of us what year the new edge came w/ the 5.0.
I'd buy that new edge.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
WILHELM said:
J.R. said:
I've actually proven before, right here on this forum, that it's cheaper, dollar for dollar to make the same amount of power with a 2v than a 5.0

Not in the sense that I am talking about. Yes they have 2v per cylinder, but no one refers to them that way. In the Mustang culture, 5.0's are 5.0's, the overhead cam motors are differentiated by the valves per cylinder, i.e. 2v, 3v, 4v

BigTang

Reaction score
WILHELM said:
J.R. said:

:nono:

aw dude, don't go there.

OP
OP
W

WILHELM

Reaction score
BigTang said:
WILHELM said:
J.R. said:

:nono:

aw dude, don't go there.

Hahah whats wrong? I believed that 5.0's were 2V engines and I just wanted to make sure of that. I wasn't trying to start anything. Where was I going?

BigTang

Reaction score
yeah its a 2 overhead valve motor. just making sure this wasn't turning into more of a playground shouting match than it had the ability to.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
5.4 stock for stock a 5.4 will rock it.

its waaaaay easier than the 5.0 swap and its not to expensive.

BigTang

Reaction score
pushrod swapped New Edge for reference.

:headbang:

02_paint_014.jpg

02_paint_010.jpg

02_INTERIOR_008.jpg

02_paint_007.jpg

02_INTERIOR_004.jpg

Reaction score
Someone already touched on this but it really depends on what you want out of the car. Some people have this huge kick to stay NA. So basically put the 2 together side by side. A forged short block, Ported head, cammed 2v is going to make what, 330rwhp and you're pretty much maxed out. Plus, most people who go this far buy aftermarket k-member and transmissions anyways. So that cancels out.

I would go with a H/I/C 351 swap in a heart beat.

Because you're going to need some sort of FI to keep up with a H/I/C 351. Which after the cost of FI, plus all the rest of the work in the 4.6, the cost to do the 351 swap would be canceled out.

Plus then you have a 351 SN-95, which is pretty sweet.

BLCKSTNG96

Reaction score
it really doesnt make any sense to take a working 4.6 car and swap a 5.0 into it.even if it was a non pi car it would be better to put a pi swap in then a 5.0.you need new kmember,new trans bc a t45 is all one piece and that bellhousing will not mate up,new manifold/headers,new computer with harness,most likely a new breaking system considering 4.6 cars use hydroboost which works with the power steering pump.all to have a car stock for stock that would be slower.you'd be spending a bunch of money to get nowhere.if you bought a wrecked new edge or sn or even a v6 and did this swap then im all with you and say go for it.if you have a 4.6 car just sell it and start fresh if your really set on that swap.i mean why go through all that for something that has already been produced by for as far as the sn goes anyway.new edge start with a 6 banger.

Reaction score
BLCKSTNG96 said:
it really doesnt make any sense to take a working 4.6 car and swap a 5.0 into it.even if it was a non pi car it would be better to put a pi swap in then a 5.0.you need new kmember,new trans bc a t45 is all one piece and that bellhousing will not mate up,new manifold/headers,new computer with harness,most likely a new breaking system considering 4.6 cars use hydroboost which works with the power steering pump.all to have a car stock for stock that would be slower.you'd be spending a bunch of money to get nowhere.if you bought a wrecked new edge or sn or even a v6 and did this swap then im all with you and say go for it.if you have a 4.6 car just sell it and start fresh if your really set on that swap.i mean why go through all that for something that has already been produced by for as far as the sn goes anyway.new edge start with a 6 banger.

This plays right into my point though, if all you are doing is a PI swap and some bolt ons, then doing a push-rod swap would be madness. But if you have serious plans for dumping cash into this car and you want something with good power I think it's a reasonable avenue to peruse.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
do you have PI or NPI heads?
how much power are you looking for?
you looking at NA or forced induction?

you can get some pretty good numbers from a blower and the correct cam on a modular, for a reasonable price.

sure, a pushrod or a modular on the motor stand, the pushrod parts are cheaper.
but you've got to consider the ignition, fuel system, computer, transmission, motor mounts.
that's all $.

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
do you have PI or NPI heads?
how much power are you looking for?
you looking at NA or forced induction?

you can get some pretty good numbers from a blower and the correct cam on a modular, for a reasonable price.

sure, a pushrod or a modular on the motor stand, the pushrod parts are cheaper.
but you've got to consider the ignition, fuel system, computer, transmission, motor mounts.
that's all $.

Correct but if you're going to build a big hp FI modular engine you'll have to address all of those things anyways. If you're just looking for a 300hp to drive around in, do a PI swap or get a pi engine and do some bolt ons and cams.

I wouldn't do push-rod unless you had plans on dumping big bucks into the car anyways.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
BigTang said:
everyone saying to buy one from the factory please inform the rest of us what year the new edge came w/ the 5.0.

No one said anything about a New Edge that came with a 5.0l. :eek:ccasion14:

BigTang

Reaction score
duh09 said:
BigTang said:

No one said anything about a New Edge that came with a 5.0l. :eek:ccasion14:

actually the entire thread is about putting a 5.0 in a new edge. everyone kept saying just buy a 94-95 but its not quite the same car.
I can't tell the difference between my old 2000 and the 98 from the drivers seat except its missing the clutch pedal :)

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well yea, its defiantly not the same car looks-wise. But it just seems like itd be cheaper to just buy another car with a 5.0... Honestly, to me there isn't enough of a diffrence in looks to justify the cost of putting a 5.0L in a New Edge. If mileage is a concern, there's plenty of low mileage 94-95s that people have tucked away...

Buying a car with a 5.0 stock just seems like it'd be the more economical choice. Of course if money isn't an issue, a 5.0L (or 5.8L haha) New Edge would be pretty sweet.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
You could always put new edge fenders, doors, 1/4's and bumpers on a 94/95 lol

BigTang

Reaction score
lol wasn't there a guy on here asking about doing that the other day?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online

No members online now.