5.0L V8 Swap

NERD

Reaction score
I don't know why so many people think the pushrod engines are better????

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
BigTang said:
lol wasn't there a guy on here asking about doing that the other day?

I dunno, but it has been done.

5.0's are not cheaper, stronger' or more efficinet, period. They don't sound or look cooler, and a 408 or other windsor motor is right in line price wise with a big bore 4 valve.

For the record, my car is a 1990, 5.0

BigTang

Reaction score
you're right, the 5.0 is not the cheapest route to the most power.
the end all is the small block chevy, always has been, always will be.

:ducks and runs:

WarHorse

Reaction score
If you want it cheap just do the work yourself and cut the labor costs, Ive seen people pay double the price of the parts for labor.

Back on topic, for the original poster, If you love the 5.0 you should wait or look for a good car for sale, as for now i think its safe to say the best and most cost efficient way to go is to keep the 4.6 in your car, it makes more power than a 5.0 and isnt very hard to work with.

OP
OP
W

WILHELM

Reaction score
Alright this hole idea of mine of putting pushrod 5.0L V8 into a new edge has been on my mind for a while. All of this is part of putting a plan together so than I when I get all these things set up I have a route to follow. First off for some reason or the other I have a passion for the 5.0 partly for its huge and inexpensive after market and the fact that it is bigger than the 281 and not as large as other engines out there like the 5.4 and 5.8. I don't want to go huge but I don't want to be small either.

I want this is car to be a daily driver and as well a car I take to the track. Handling is critical for me so a 5.0 is where I want to go. I want to take this car to road courses and circuit races and some drag races. I'd like to have some 400HP to the crank but this is still undecided. The SN-95 in my opinion just does not have the looks that the new edge SN-95 Mustang has. It just is that much of a difference to me. As all of this is for the future I possibly might like to make it visually a Saleen S281 clone but with a 5.0 and keeping it new edge. The SN-95 is just different and does not exactly do it for me. While I like the SN-95 I have a great passion for the New Edge SN-95.

I came here to find out information and to learn more about what I will have to do in order to make all of this a reality. I really don't want to argue and I know many of you have more experience and knowledge on this topic. I would still like to discuss this so any input negative or positive in appreciated.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Find a 99 New Edge V6 and swap it them, in California the swap engine has to be the same year of newer, so you need a 99-up Explorer 5.0, the computer, the entire harness, a few day's to merge it into your existing dash and body harnesses, and all the smog equipment.

In addition, you'll probably want to get an 8.8 rear end out of a 99-up GT, as well as the rear sway bar.

Good luck.

On second thought, if the Explorer is in a different GVW class, you can't legally swap it.

At any rate, once it's all done, you have to go to the referee station, instead of the normal smog test station.

BigTang

Reaction score
too much hassle, just put an LS2 in it. 400 rwhp hp w/o any mods, 6spd and you can set it a little lower and farther back than the 5.0. which sounds like why you're partly interested in it.

NERD

Reaction score
BigTang said:
too much hassle, just put an LS2 in it. 400 rwhp hp w/o any mods, 6spd and you can set it a little lower and farther back than the 5.0. which sounds like why you're partly interested in it.

When I suggested that last year to my mustang club they almost cut my head off. lol I still like the idea but it's too much work.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:
saleen made the s-351 :D thats a a5.8, just buy one of those :p

There you go, the 99 Saleen S351 was a new edge with a Blown 5.8 pushrod.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
5.0s are cheap, reliable, and well made. It's not hard for me to believe he wants to put one in the car. However, If your not able to use 94/95 5.0 parts and engine, it would otherwise be a pain in the ass. It's nothing to swap but when your trying to be so particular about the motor and smog it quickly becomes a headache

stang94X

Reaction score
BigTang said:

i hope youre just joking on that, i like chevys too and the ls motors are strong, but at what cost, ls motors are ridiculously pricey for only having that much power, i'll stick with a 351 based stroker for half the cost and more power

BigTang

Reaction score
why would i be joking? its not that expensive to pick up a running take out w/ trans and a k-member for another $500. spend the time to do the wiring yourself and have a 350rwhp STARTING POINT rather than a 220~ish rwhp starting point.
I had well over the cost of an LS1 swap tied up in just a blower to make 400 at the tires, never again will i go down that road, it nickel and dimed me to death, it was the definition of dimishing returns.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:
tulabeast said:
get a 03 cobra and be done with it
bah. everyone has 03 04 cobras. buy an s351!

This is genius. I will buy a S351 someday. Perhaps even an SR351.

Paul.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I think it would be easy enough if you were going with a carburetor setup. Doing it fuel injected would be more than I would want to deal with.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
atrainsgt said:
I think it would be easy enough if you were going with a carburetor setup. Doing it fuel injected would be more than I would want to deal with.
That would comlicate things that much more. Now after the swap was done that is correct, some people belive that carb set-ups are easier to deal with than EFI.
However the fact of the matter is if you want to have a 5.0 based engine in a 96 or later SN95 you are going to have to do some major PITA modifications.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online