94/95s and Aftermarket Cams...

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by Tony Montana, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Member

I'm just curious about this. Ive heard adding a aftermarket cam into our cars can be a real PITA as far as tuning goes. Ive heard it causes stalling issues and what not.

Who with aftermarket cams has these issues? And will a good tune, resolve these issues?

im thinkin HCI in the future so opinions would help

:khobra:

2. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

If your going with a stong HCI setup why not go with a cam. Although its rare for my car to run/idle perfectly as well as my bros stock interal 5.0 94 was. ITs allwasy doing somthing funky, stalling, hanging idle etc well I cant say allways its good for a while but you deff gotta deal with idleing issues once and a while.

To get around it you can tune the car, custom chip, tweecer, anderson pms etc.

There are lots of guys running in the 10s with stock cams out there.

3. d_punch

d_punch Active Member

i've had an idle issue that has been fixed with no tune or having to buy a tuner. granted i get a jumping idle sometimes, but i think it due to the car sitting for months at a time. so i have to mess with an idle screw no big deal, but i notice when i use the car more often the idle becomes a non-issue.

i also believe that the degree of issues also depends on how agressive the cam, and other items are. of course the more agressive the cam and related items the less streetable it will become and the more it will need some support from a tuner IMO. like tweecer, PMS, AEM, ACCEL DFI, FAST etc....

but i believe my cam is also emission legal, it's nothing special with a power band from 1400 to 5400 rpm. and i could drive this car everyday if i wanted too, just choose not too. it's like a freight train.

4. 69Camaro

69Camaro New Member

I put a B cam in my 95 GT sounded great idling but it would die about 85% of the time when you stopped, was fine once you restarted it. I would suggest you plan on getting a tune at the same time as the cam and you should have no problems, my cobra will be getting both soon.

5. Spyder

Spyder Active Member

i have a 95 cobra with edelbrock heads, and a trick flow stage one cam

i used to have hanging idle problems and stalling all the time, but i cleaned the maf, iac, and adjusted the throttle stop screw a little bit and its damn near perfect now. It idles at a bout 900rpms, which is a little high, but it still sounds good, and it doesnt hang much at all anymore

6. SaleenStang94

SaleenStang94 Member

i have the trick flow stage one cam. it sounds and performs great. i had bought a crate with the cam, the first start was awful and could barely run under 1k rpm but after a dyno tune it runs great. it idles at 500rpm like stock. every once in a while it will stall when going in reverse but barely ever.

7. Spyder

Spyder Active Member

damn, sounds like i need a dyno tune so i can have a low idle like that

i bet the lope soudns awesome

8. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

cams, who needs them ;D just pull some lines loose and you can get that bump bump that a cam gives :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

9. SaleenStang94

SaleenStang94 Member

haha yeah it sounds awsome. the dyno tune i went to spent a good deal of time on my car tuning and working with the iac. jw. when u reverse do u stall sometimes? (btw my car is auto)

10. Spyder

Spyder Active Member

Yeah, sometimes it does, im not sure what causes that

mine is a 5speed

i know when i have my ac on its a bitch to keep it idling too

11. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

My car now idles at like 675 with the mods in my sig.

12. SaleenStang94

SaleenStang94 Member

yeah same here, it never stalls with the ac on while in gear but the rpms surge dropping to 250 and bumping up to 1k. i gotta keep the foot hard on the brake or take it out of gear. i added a complete exhaust system a month after i got the tune so i think i need a fresh tune.

13. ryclef331

ryclef331 Well-Known Member

WERD!

IF you hardware (sensors and electronic components) are in tact, then there is NO reason that you can't get a car to idle...without a tune. I had my 331 H/C/I strocker motor...thumping away at 750rpm before ever seeing the dyno. Like he said...don't buy into that A9L bs. You don't need it.