94 GT starter engages but won’t spin motor.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
mallet, 2 x 4, your biggest wrench, BFH, neighbors kid heck I don't care what ya thump it with but if we did not start with that, lets see if we can end with it...

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
The PA starters are craptacular worthless junk . i have had to send a couple of them back in a box in pieces

Notthenow

Reaction score
Moto-Kraft tough to beat many stock pieces.

Greg...BFS!! You been working on heavy equipment?

Notthenow

Reaction score
Although, what really is the point to rapping it and it works? One time for a new tight mechanism? Isn't that side of the road get it home stuff?

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Well, I can't tell you why it works or how it works but it does work!
My very first car was a blue '72 Chevy Impala 2dr hardtop.
For reasons unbeknownst to me, every few months the starter would just hang or bind or something.
The first time it stranded me, this old friend of the family everyone calls Mopar Kelly came to help.
He got underneath and said "Try cranking it and hold it in the start position."
I did, and the third time he hit it with a hammer it spun.

It just sucked when it happened on a date. Had to get my duds dirty and it was fairly humiliating beings I was 18 and stuff like that mattered. back then. :p

It was a cool car with a huge back seat, but there were times the starter motor wasn't the only thing on I wanted to hammer on!

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Moto-Kraft tough to beat many stock pieces.

Greg...BFS!! You been working on heavy equipment?
Not lately, but my Mustang is definitely a persnickety, cantankerous female. And while she looks good with upgrades, she does NOT like to give up her parts!
Every single cotton pickin thing on that car is seized it seems like.
And even the BFS didn't help me get the drivers side lower control arm main bolt out! Hammer gave way to torch, to sledge, to sawzall to grinder to jaws of life.
Ok, not jaws of life, but I was beginning to wonder!

Notthenow

Reaction score
Yeah, I have forgotten about working on cars where everything is corroded. In Chicago an oxy-acetylene torch, WD-40, and persuaders (pipes on breaker bar handles) are used on everything. Down here in AZ, corrosion is rare and 20 year bolts come apart like a dream come true.

Notthenow

Reaction score
I had a Camaro I started with a screwdriver stuck between the terminal on the solenoid on battery feed. The contact wheel was corroded inside, it turned out.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Heh heh, "PERSUADER"
That was the name my neighbor gave his late 1800's T Barker double barrel 12 gage stagecoach gun.
And indeed it looked persuasive.

Yeah, my sister lives in Tempe and her husband never squawks about getting stuff loose on his cars.

I'm callin my breakover extensions PERSUADERS now.
:D

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Although, what really is the point to rapping it and it works? One time for a new tight mechanism? Isn't that side of the road get it home stuff?
high torque electrical motors can get just a tad out of alignment and then when it tries to kick the motor it will bind up and. With starters its so common that I have seen rebuild versions fresh out of the box that have dents in the case. All it tells us is that the starter is going out and will need to be replaced.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Thanks toccs, I figured you would have an electrical answer. Except when I had an old truck with bad flexplate, all my starters have worked this way "click boom", "click, click, click", or "dead and gone". Never had one engage and just hum...

Notthenow

Reaction score
Yep we called them persuaders when I worked on boilers and a pipe wrench by itself was never enough to crack open scaled up pipe fittings. I bet in 1880 it was good to have that type of persauder too.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
When my wife and I married over three decades ago, we were dirt poor. Happy but poor, so many things were 'rigged' back then (cheap and simple)
We had a teal and white 1964 Ford Twin I Beam pickup. (the PO had put side pipes on it and it ran rich, so when it backfired, it could scare the HECK outta ya) It's solenoid was bad but my wife would drive it anyway when she needed.
I had twisted two single strand 110 volt electrical wire into one great big horse shoe shaped jumper cable that hung conveniently by the solenoid. You can imagine the looks she'd get at gas stations.
She'd set the brake, put it in neutral, pop the hood, hoist her little 120 lb frame up onto the bumper to be able to bend over into the engine compartment. As if that wasn't getting looks already, a loud crack and blue flash with a complementary puff of smoke fires this beast up, belching exhaust out both sides and she nonchalantly climbs up into the cab and tools away as people are trying to process what they just witnessed.
Good times buddy.
:D

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
just thump the belhousing a little harder if you can reach the starter. I am not sure you can call yourself a mechanic till you repair a starter with a mallet.
Lol.
The PA starters are craptacular worthless junk . i have had to send a couple of them back in a box in pieces
Really? We’ll that’s something else I can try to, Autozone starters are cheap.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Cool story Greg. Sounds like my son's wife. She hung out with us in the garage and helped when we rebuilt the engine for her Camaro.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
you also need to know , that some of those cool aftermarket starters have to be shimmed fly wheel to starter gear clearance
old school learning

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Cool story Greg. Sounds like my son's wife. She hung out with us in the garage and helped when we rebuilt the engine for her Camaro.
Right on, that's so cool. Keep encouraging that interest in her. Some women really bloom in a mechanics atmosphere once they've been bitten by that gearhead bug.

Then some girls can't help it. Pamela's father was a diesel mechanic, so at a young age she could be found underneath a vehicle with him, rapping away on something with a plastic toy...and come out from under there just as greasy.

I think her biggest job would be her motor change when she put a Corvette engine into her 53 Chevy Bel Air with some help with the cherry picker and alignment.

While she's usually doing other stuff when I have a project going, it is nice when she readily offers help if I need and extra set of hands.
It is kinda nice to ask for a 5/8 deepwell on a swivel head into an adapter to 1/2", on a 6 inch extension with a beakover bar and then be able to rest your neck for 20 seconds before she slaps it into your palm.

Plus, girls look sexy with a little grease...
:p

Notthenow

Reaction score
That really does sound like my son's wife. She used to hang out with her grandpa in his furniture shop. She has an aptitude for most mechanical things.

Ask her if she knows what a "persuader" is.

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
you also need to know , that some of those cool aftermarket starters have to be shimmed fly wheel to starter gear clearance
old school learning
Also a good tip, thanks. I haven’t a chance to touch it in a few since the holidays. Will play with it this week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online