94 GT starter engages but won’t spin motor.

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
So, went back to the basics, checking grounds, measuring voltage at the starter etc, etc, and what does I find? A brand New no good Duralast battery! Swapped it out and the car turned over. But now I’m getting no spark. I have a Fast ignition box and E92 coil. No spark at the plugs.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
That really does sound like my son's wife. She used to hang out with her grandpa in his furniture shop. She has an aptitude for most mechanical things.

Ask her if she knows what a "persuader" is.
Actually, she hadn't heard that either, but I could tell she appreciated the addition to her toolbox vocabulary!!

Gregomatic

Reaction score
So, went back to the basics, checking grounds, measuring voltage at the starter etc, etc, and what does I find? A brand New no good Duralast battery! Swapped it out and the car turned over. But now I’m getting no spark. I have a Fast ignition box and E92 coil. No spark at the plugs.
So do you think the Duralast was not in a fully charged state when you first installed it?
Or that it failed at some point in your testing? Something isn't computing but I can't put a finger on it.
I know some things actually are faulty right off the shelf, that has happened to me.
But now I have over half a dozen new questions bouncing back and forth in my head.
And with a good battery you have no spark.
Man I think I need to just scratch my brain for a sec.

Scott, pass me a multitester, maybe I'll run some brain diagnostics while I'm scratchin...

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
So do you think the Duralast was not in a fully charged state when you first installed it?
Or that it failed at some point in your testing? Something isn't computing but I can't put a finger on it.
I know some things actually are faulty right off the shelf, that has happened to me.
But now I have over half a dozen new questions bouncing back and forth in my head.
And with a good battery you have no spark.
Man I think I need to just scratch my brain for a sec.

Scott, pass me a multitester, maybe I'll run some brain diagnostics while I'm scratchin...
I think the battery was bad from the jump. I’m checking the distributor connections to see why I have no spark.

Notthenow

Reaction score
It's been a long thread, are you certain you had spark initially....

Greg, just happy to pass on the joy of language to others. Feel free to share any useful words you may have as well!

Huh, did somebody say how is the battery? JK I usually can't find the tool I just put down....

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
Spark plug out, in the wire, on the body of the car while cranking the engine.

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
does the coil have power?
Distributor has power but the coil does not. I put the multi meter on the coil power wire while cranking and got nothing. This wire runs straight to the FAST ignition box which does have power. I’m going to check the connection to the coil wire at the ignition box. Any ideas anyone!

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
Found out I needed to connect a brown wire to a white wire that runs to the ignition box. Car fired right up. Now I have a cooling issue, go figure! Always something.

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
make sure the fan is going on in both low/high speed.
Oh boy, the fan has a low and high speed? My fan has 3 wires, red,black and orange/red. I put power to the red and the fan comes on. I put power to the orange/red stripe wire and it pops the fuse. What am I missing here?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oh boy, the fan has a low and high speed? My fan has 3 wires, red,black and orange/red. I put power to the red and the fan comes on. I put power to the orange/red stripe wire and it pops the fuse. What am I missing here?
yes the fan has 2 speeds, and the 3 wires control it. One wire for low speed, one wire for high speed and one wire for ground.

I am not sure why you are just throwing power on random wires, it would tell us a lot more if you put a meter on it with it running and saw if you had any voltage on the wires. Also disconnect the harness and inspect it to see if it has shown signs of getting hot/melting/arching.

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
yes the fan has 2 speeds, and the 3 wires control it. One wire for low speed, one wire for high speed and one wire for ground.

I am not sure why you are just throwing power on random wires, it would tell us a lot more if you put a meter on it with it running and saw if you had any voltage on the wires. Also disconnect the harness and inspect it to see if it has shown signs of getting hot/melting/arching.
Well ttocs, I’m not just throwing power to random wires, they have relays before the fan. Before google and YouTube this is what you had to do. The wires don’t heat up when the fan is running no matter how long I let it run. I need to figure out why it pops the fuse when power is out to the orange/red stripe wire.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like you were guessing here but maybe I am wrong?

I will date myself by saying I was working on cars prior to youtube and I will again say that a volt meter on those wires will tell us 10x more than it pops a fuse when power is on this wire and the wires do not get hot. The red/orange wire is the low speed fan power wire but I am not going to be able to tell you why it blows a fuse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online