95 5.0- Cats back on?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Exhaust setup is MAC LT's, BBK Shorty o/r X, MAC Flowpaths and 2.5" tails. Love the sound but I'm getting a little tired of the gas smell.. Now heres the dumb question, I have a smog pump delete and my egr is capped off. Can I put a set of high flow mini cats on the car? Will it cause any problems or?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
shouldn't cause any issue at all.
I never noticed a gas smell when I ran my o/r H pipe.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
shouldn't cause any issue at all.
I never noticed a gas smell when I ran my o/r H pipe.

My H didn't really smell bad. The X and LT's smells a bit more and at traffic lights it gets annoying.
talked to Dan from AM and he said the same as you said

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Not positive on this but couldnt the smells be stronger since your egr isnt hooked up?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
What brand? I'm lookin at Flowmasters Mini high flows

I believe they're magnaflow cats. It's a VRS catted X pipe, I'd highly recommend it if you'd rather buy the whole pipe.

Not positive on this but couldnt the smells be stronger since your egr isnt hooked up?

If the EGR is blocked it should be removed in the tune or it could cause issues, not sure if it would increase the smell though. I guess maybe since it's not re-burning some of the exhaust, maybe he's just referring to the no-cat smell.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I don't think so. Always smelled like this even before I capped the EGR off and took off the smog pump.
I believe they're magnaflow cats. It's a VRS catted X pipe, I'd highly recommend it if you'd rather buy the whole pipe.

If the EGR is blocked it should be removed in the tune or it could cause issues, not sure if it would increase the smell though. I guess maybe since it's not re-burning some of the exhaust, maybe he's just referring to the no-cat smell.

If / when I do HCI i'll be getting a custom dyno tune so that would be taken care of. I've had the EGR capped off for around a month, no issues at all. I'm only talking about the no cats smell

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
My H didn't really smell bad. The X and LT's smells a bit more and at traffic lights it gets annoying.
talked to Dan from AM and he said the same as you said
All I am going to say is LOL^ was this on the forums? Or did you call in?

Now that that is out of the way. No running highflow cats on the setup now will not cause any issues. And taking cats off will always give more backfiring, and possible gas smell, mainly at cold startup/openloop. Also adding longtubes and all of that other stuff in the mix, yes it may increase the smell a bit. Specially if you are decelling and letting the car slow itself down. As the car dumps fuel when doing that.
So that could be it.

Otherwise the smell should not be overwhelming or causing you to feel nauseous or eyes water. If so you could have a leak somewhere or a different problem. Do you have tunes? If not that could surely be the problem. IF so you may want to try getting a datalog to the company that does your tunes so they can see exactly how the car is running. As no matter what each car is different and will react slightly differently to tuning/mods.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Lol yeah I called up, wanted to make sure it was okay or not okay to put cats on. Its not bad at all, just when I sit in traffic it can be annoying. I don't have a tune, will get one if I do a hci swap though. I'm pretty immune to it, but like I said sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with the smell can be a tad bit annoying. Appreciate the input, thank you

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have to say I do enjoy the clean smell from my car now that I have cats again, clothes don't smell like exhaust anymore.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Maybe it smells a bit more because I put 87 in? I just filled up from 1/4 tank to full with 93, I'll see if it smells any better.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I will never run catted again and I dont smell my exhaust..

Problem is you are not tuned

@ShiftyPowers Yeah I agree. I'm going to tune it when I do h/c/i and full bolt ons. For now I'll live with it.
From your experience what do you think these cars would put down #'s wise?
My 95 5.0 - auto- mac lt's, o/r x, mac mufflers, smog pump delete, cai, 76mm maf, iridium plugs, 9mm wires
06 V6 auto- cai, 70mm tb, tuner, lt's, o/r h, no mufflers -

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with being tuned, catless exhaust ALWAYS smells.

Also true. But I'm probably running a little lean since the car's not tuned. My dad had a 67 Cougar 289 3 speed stick awhile back, obviously no cats and he said it didn't smell anything like my car does. But then again that thing never had cats or any emissions these cars had to begin with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online