96 MUSTANG GT white smoke from exhaust

TBONE12

Reaction score
:headbang: well guys and gals iam a new member to the forum. i have a 96 mustang gt with about 187,000 miles on it. i have a few minor up grades. iam looking for some help with a problem with my gt. about a week ago i did a tune up on my car plugs, plug wires. well iam not sure if this has been going on for awhile or i just noticed it but when i start my car in the morning or going from stop light to stop light there is some white smoke from my exhaust. am i looking at something major or is this something that will cost me big money. any advice would be great and thank you for your time. :BangHead:

pp_puncher

Reaction score
1. how far do you drive in the morning?
2. is it a lot of smoke, like so thick it lingers for a few minutes?
3. is it noticeable in the afternoon?

if you answered:less than 15 miles, dissapates fairly quickly, and no....more than likely it is condensation from your catalytic converters and exhaust heat. It is usually more noticeable in the spring.

OP
OP
T

TBONE12

Reaction score
round trip is 64miles. no not really just enough to see when u leave from a light or stop sign.

Lee12609

Reaction score
check your coolant. if its still full (when cold) then i doubt its serious. sounds like condensation to me though.

josh0092002

Reaction score
hum that's odd mine does that as well, an my coolant does get low from time to time, but i have not noticed any power loss or malfunctions what so ever as of yet???

RareBreed

Reaction score
sounds like the post that I just added except for the white smoke. similar issues where the coolant is low, but never any smoke from the pipes except after setting for a while and does not last long.

Naptown_Stang

Reaction score
Coolant gives off white smoke. You might have a coolant leak. A small one probably. Do you still have the original intake manifold?

Check your coolant levels.

OP
OP
T

TBONE12

Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the replies they have really help me out. my intake was replaced about 3 yrs ago, but i havent seen any leaks from it. ive check my fluid every day and doesnt seem to be going down. ohh by the way i have no cats on mine just a bbk x pipe. thanks again for the help

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I have normal exhaust smoke [Gray] at stoplights and stop signs as well when its chilly out. For me, I think its just worn valve seals which doesn't rob performance but rather annoying. If its bright white then goes away condensation, if its bright white and lingers for a while then its coolant. Like someone mentioned.

98green5.4

Reaction score
mine did it some after i started driving it a lot.

switched to synthetic oil and it seemed to stop. lol.

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
98green5.4 said:
mine did it some after i started driving it a lot.

switched to synthetic oil and it seemed to stop. lol.

My car used to do something similar to that, but i switched to castrol syntec fully synthetic and ive noticed that there hasnt been smoke at all since...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online