96 still running hot! what can i do now?

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
well my 96 like to run too hot for my likeing, its runs between M-A "NORMAL" and its not even really hot here yet (75 degrees ). Ive got a new factory radiator that i put in 2 years ago because the old one leaked, its got a 180 degree stat and a fresh coolant flush last weekend and its still running hot. So now im prepared to spend some money. whats the cheapest way to fix this? a better rad? can i upgrade to the 97-98 cooling system? what do i need? is it worth it? HELP

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
have you ever noticed your coolant running low often?

you may have a leak somewhere else

Downshift

Reaction score
Hmm something isnt right there man. Car shouldnt be running that hot with a 180 and a Fresh coolant flush.

ripper

Reaction score
Start with the obvious. Your coolant system is new so that cant be it. Check your fan. Make sure its coming on. Then your gauge. Maybe somthing is wrong with the gauge or the sensor.

ma97gt

Reaction score
Like Stevo stated, do the basic checks 1st... Does it heat up in stop and go traffic or all the time? If it cools off while cruising and heats in slower traffic, you have an airflow problem. I would check the AC condenser for blockage and check the fan. If it heats up all the time you most likely have a circulation problem. Plugged line collapsing hose or h20 pump not up to par....

gt96stang

Reaction score
You know, after I had to change my radiator out as well, it gets that hot... and I've got a 180 t-stat... I :dunno: i guessed as long as the fan is still coming on and cooling it off it'll be fine.. Coming soon will be a tuner to turn the fan on sooner so it keeps it cooler...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The 96 cooling system sucks!!! If you complained or had problems under warranty they would give you the much improved 97 radiator and fan assembly.

I would just get a better radiator...i've been shopping them myself.
The new water pumps are a better design then the stock 96's too.

Also are you leaking coolant at all? Maybe you cracked your intake.

ripper

Reaction score
Now you see....... if i had read this before my new motor went in i would have put in a new radiator. I did do the new water pump though :thumb:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yeah thats why i was shopping around since i'll have the car apart again. Dalamar put a nice one in his car and thats the one i think i'm getting.

ripper

Reaction score
I was smart enough to do water pump starter and motor mounts. I just didnt have a guy around thats done it before to know these things. These were my pre-sn95forums days lol.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Do the fan switch mod, so you can turn the fan on whenever you want.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
badass98svt said:
Do the fan switch mod, so you can turn the fan on whenever you want.

Do oyu have a link with the directions? My 97 is the same as him. It normally drives in the MA position unless i kick the heat onto full blast. DUnno whats wrong with it.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
MoonlightGT said:
well my 96 like to run too hot for my likeing, its runs between M-A "NORMAL" and its not even really hot here yet (75 degrees ). Ive got a new factory radiator that i put in 2 years ago because the old one leaked, its got a 180 degree stat and a fresh coolant flush last weekend and its still running hot. So now im prepared to spend some money. whats the cheapest way to fix this? a better rad? can i upgrade to the 97-98 cooling system? what do i need? is it worth it? HELP

I have a 96 GT also and I am having the same exact issue. Guess I will need to look for a 97 radiator. My fan died on me last summer and I got a fan from a 97 GT last summer. It helped some but i still can't drive around town with AC without having to keep an eye on the temp guage.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
That's actually a VERY good price. If shipping wasn't 40 bucks it would put 60 dollars cheaper than I have been able to find it.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
jfor441 said:
That's actually a VERY good price. If shipping wasn't 40 bucks it would put 60 dollars cheaper than I have been able to find it.

yeah i've shopped them for like 2 years and thats the best i've found even with the shipping included.

jrock02301

Reaction score
did you make sure you got all the air out of the system sometimes air will just become heat pockets near the top of the engine causing an off reading just something to think about too before you go and buy and spend

Grnstang

Reaction score
You could do the manual switch fan deal, but you can also find a fan regulator from JEGs which you can set the fan to turn on at whatever temperature you want. I also have a 96 with the same deal and a 180 deg. thermostat. I think I'm going to try the regulator and set it turn on at 180. I'vee also heard the 2 core Fluidine's are awesome and would greatly reduce the temperatures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online