98 GT PI Swap questions

Flade

Reaction score
Tracked down a #4 misfire on my Wife’s 98GT to a crack in the intake manifold heater hose nipple. It was leaking ond pooling in the #4 plug hole causing the misfire.

So I have to replace the manifold. I had planned to eventually do a PI swap, it now seems the time.

I already have a good set of heads with cams, Intake, coolant pipe, and alternator bracket.

I’ll get a gasket kit and head bolts. I’ve got a few good write ups on the PI swap and I’m going through the stickies so I know the basics. I previously replaced the timing chains and guides, so I’m familiar with the motor.

Questions:

1. What is the preferred gasket set? This is a daily driver BTW.

2. How hard is it to do the head swap with the engine in the car? Anything I need to worry about?

3. Any other parts I need to find?

J_lope82

Reaction score
Felpro is a good brand for gaskets.

Doing heads with the engine in place is uncomfortable. It might be worth pulling the engine out with trans and check everything while you are there. Once the engine is out replacing the heads is easy.

OP
OP
F

Flade

Reaction score
Thanks, I’ve read through the steps. Looks very doable, just involved. Thanks for the links, i’ll get the parts ordered and set aside a few days to get it done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online