A question for convertible owners

delling3

Reaction score
'96 GT Convertible. I have owned it now for about two years. Convertible top function was never an issue - until now.

I raised the top a couple of days ago when I took the car to have it detailed. No issues. When I picked the car up this afternoon, I immediately noticed that the driver's side door (window up) would not close properly. At first look, it appeared that the window was too tall to close, but on further examination, it seems that the the top frame is "sagging" a bit at the front frame hinge. Basically when the top is up, the frame is now bowing downwards a bit. Never done this before.

While in the detail shop, the tech had to release the front latches to separate the top header from the windshield frame. I cycled the top up and down, and it seems like the everything is good until the latches are closed, which seems to be forcing the frame to assume this new shape. If I lower the window a 1/2 inch, the door closes normally. Is there something that has gotten out of adjustment? Like I said, never had this issue in the 2 years I have owned the car. Could the tech done something that caused the problem?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
The bolt/pin holding it together could be worn. I'm not sure what type of hardware it is haven't looked lately at my top. Can you see a connecting pin for the two pieces

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Directions from link above:

Balance Link Adjustment
The balance link adjusting bracket is mounted on the main pivot bracket support. (Fig. 3) Two adjustments are provided at the bracket. Sliding the bracket in the elongated mounting holes permits proper stacking of the top in the well. Turning the Allen head adjusting screw adjusts the side rail to glass clearance.

Side Rail Sag: If the side rail sags above the door glass, adjust as follows:
1. Use the top of the door glass and quarter panel glass as reference points to determine the proper level of the side rail.
2. Have the top locked in the fully raised position.
3. With an Allen wrench, turn the adjusting screw in the balance link adjusting bracket down to raise the side rail. The adjusting bracket retaining screws should be loosened during this adjustment.
4. If the side rail is too high, or crowned, above the windows, turn the adjusting screw up to lower the side rail.
Top Stack: If the top stacks too high in the well, it will be difficult to fasten down the boot. To obtain proper stacking, loosen the main pivot bracket mounting screws, and let the bracket seek its own position. Then tighten the main pivot bracket retaining screws.

Fig-3.gif

Has anyone got experience actually performing this adjustment? The picture is a bit fuzzy. Looking at my car, it appears that access to the "balance link adjusting screw" is only possible after removing the rear seat, and rear seat "kick panel". Can someone confirm I am on the right track? Don't want to start tearing apart the interior if I am incorrect here.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online