about to do a TON and pilot bearing replacement

Madbum90

Reaction score
I'm about to change my throw out bearing and pilot bearing. It sounds like the bearings are squeaky and it's twitchy when engaging the clutch. Also the clutch pedal shakes and vibrates when the pedal is halfway to the floor. Does this sound the tob? And any good write ups or tips when doing it? Thanks first time taking out a transmission and clutch.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
It does sound like a TOB.
Your Haynes/Chilton manual will walk you through it.
Once the tranny is out take a good look at the rear main seal and replace it also if needed.

OP
OP
M

Madbum90

Reaction score
It does sound like a TOB.
Your Haynes/Chilton manual will walk you through it.
Once the tranny is out take a good look at the rear main seal and replace it also if needed.

Thanks man, also I forgot to mention it's hard to get driving because it shakes the car and wants to stall, and when you down shift it makes a loud screeching noise. In reverse it's even worse it's almost impossible to drive it. It makes clunking noises and a reaches as well.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
The easiest way I've found to get a pilot bearing out is the wet paper trick , you rip up small pieces of wet paper and jam them in behind the pilot bearing and then use a rod of some sort . A extension works great , this truck works almost instantly .

RichV

Reaction score
I would suggest to do it all. Buy a clutch kit, most come with pilot/throw out. Have the flywheel surfaced, and be done.

What year/model?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks man, also I forgot to mention it's hard to get driving because it shakes the car and wants to stall, and when you down shift it makes a loud screeching noise. In reverse it's even worse it's almost impossible to drive it. It makes clunking noises and a reaches as well.

sounds like the clutch has gotted hot and glazed the flywheel and that's why it's shaking the car.
As Rich just said, do it all while your in there. It's not hard to drop the tranny just a pita and time consuming.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Usually when the cars shaking you end up wit a sweet looking pressure plate that's cracked in a few spots

OP
OP
M

Madbum90

Reaction score
Usually when the cars shaking you end up wit a sweet looking pressure plate that's cracked in a few spots

Could the rear end be a culprit to why it whines like a supercharger when I down shift? And why it's harder to drive in reverse

RichV

Reaction score
Some oils like to whine in the rears as well. I had RoyalPurple in my SVO and it was very whiney. Replaced it with some Valvoline with LSD and it's been quiet since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.