ABS Unit Hole Stripped

e.phillips1113

Reaction score
Was trying to reconnect my hard brake lines to the ABS module on my 96 Cobra when the Rear Right fitting cross threaded and stripped out the hole. I want to take the ABS module back down and helicoil the hole since the fitting and brake line side of things still looks fine. Problem is I don't know what the fitting size is. In my brief and confusing research I've done online it would seem they are some kind of Metric Bubble Flare. The problem is Metric what??? It seems most common fitting are M10x1.00. They have ABS delete kits on LMR (no that I want to remove my ABS) with a specifically different variant for the Cobra and the GT. But they don't list what makes the two different or what the hole thread sizes are. Also the lines running into the top of the ABS module are different sizes, two thick and one thin. Please, if anyone knows the fitting sizes for a 96 Cobra ABS module, save me!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they are m10x1.0, but I don’t know if you’re going to be able to fill it enough to get a helicoil in there without the drill bit messing up the sealing surface for the line.

OP
OP
E

e.phillips1113

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to get it to seal? I could always just drill out the hole and tap it up to a larger size I suppose? But that still runs the risk messing with the sealing surface. I don't think the bubble flare would have to much of problem sealing to a concave surface. It's not a standard style flare with a convex point.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to get it to seal? I could always just drill out the hole and tap it up to a larger size I suppose? But that still runs the risk messing with the sealing surface. I don't think the bubble flare would have to much of problem sealing to a concave surface. It's not a standard style flare with a convex point.
If you’ve got enough room for the drill to get all the way down, I think you’ll be ok. Did it pull the threads or just mess them up? Maybe you could run a tap in there?

OP
OP
E

e.phillips1113

Reaction score
That is a great find! Doesn't say what size the metric bubble flare is but I'm sure I could message them and find out. And yeah, it completely pulled the threads out. I had purchased a few m10x1 and m12x1 fittings to see if I could make them into make shift thread chasers, but the threads were too far gone. This should save me so much hassle with trying to make a helicoil work. Or worse, trying to find a real cobra ABS module from a pull apart place. Apparently there are interchangeability problems between the 94-98 V6, GT, and Cobra modules. Something about the programming for the different brake set ups? Cheers Adfalenski!

OP
OP
E

e.phillips1113

Reaction score
Well, it was a great find. The RR brake line to ABS fitting is M12X1.0 Bubble flare. Not a M10x1.0 bubble flare. And sadly, that bubble flare adapter is only M10x1.0. Trying to look for more adapters like it now but not much luck. I'll let ya'll know what I find.

OP
OP
E

e.phillips1113

Reaction score
I believe I've found a work around to my problem. In much the same idea as Adfalenski, I'll use metric bubble to NPT adapter. The tricky part is the only M12x1.0 bubble to NPT adapter I've found is 1/8"x27NPT which has a major diameter less than 12mm (~10.3mm). But, I've found a secondary adapter that goes from 1/8"x27NPT to 1/4"x18NPT. So, I should be able to tap out the striped hole to 1/4"x18NPT and use both adapters to successfully resolve my problem. Any further thoughts? Ideas? Worries?

Makoto

Reaction score
my ABS unit is bad. I think i might just delete it at some point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online