AC Clutch/Compressor Problem?

WhiteGT

Reaction score
So I've had the car for a few weeks and everything was working fine. The other day I was driving with the AC on (its Florida) and the air got warm...then i heard the a/c make a noise (cant really describe it)turned it off and then a few minutes later started smelling something and saw a small amount of smoke from under the hood. Pulled over and the AC compressor was smoking around the clutch area not a ton. I poored some water on it to get it cooled down as I still had to get it home after it was cooled. I have driven the car twice since first time with a/c completely off and second with vent only both times no smell or smoke. Question is do i start with a new clutch for the a/c or get a new compressor or does anyone have any better ideas before I start taking it apart?
Thanks

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I am the electrical section mod and really not sure what to say is the problem here. I am going to move it into the motor section where I am sure one of our folks will have you on the right track shortly.

toyman

Reaction score
A slipping AC clutch would be indicative of a seized compressor. With the car parked turn on the AC and watch. The clutch should cycle ever few seconds. If the compressor has seized you would also see/hear the belt slipping when the clutch engages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online