AC Compressor won't stay on

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ah I forgot to mention that.

When the compressor is running it drops down to about 50 in the low side. I forgot what the high side says but I will have some free time tomorrow to get a better reading
That’s the only reading that matters. 50 psi isn’t bad depending on the ambient temps but seems high. Get a sold low and and high side reading and let us know. Also the ambient temp.

OP
OP
O

Oakway9092

Reaction score
That’s the only reading that matters. 50 psi isn’t bad depending on the ambient temps but seems high. Get a sold low and and high side reading and let us know. Also the ambient temp.
Alright so I did a bit of monkeying around on the car:

Without any switches jumped: the reading was at 56psi

With both hi and low switches jumped: it dropped a bit more to 52psi and the compressor ran about a second longer.

Both times only the compressor cycled once and stopped

Car currently has 2 full cans of freon in the system.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Alright so I did a bit of monkeying around on the car:

Without any switches jumped: the reading was at 56psi

With both hi and low switches jumped: it dropped a bit more to 52psi and the compressor ran about a second longer.

Both times only the compressor cycled once and stopped

Car currently has 2 full cans of freon in the system.
You only have to jump the low pressure switch to get the compressor to cycle. And you need to get a reading from both the low and high side. Without those numbers and no ambient temp, we can’t help you.

OP
OP
O

Oakway9092

Reaction score
You only have to jump the low pressure switch to get the compressor to cycle. And you need to get a reading from both the low and high side. Without those numbers and no ambient temp, we can’t help you.
Alrighty I'll try that tomorrow after work

OP
OP
O

Oakway9092

Reaction score
How are you jumping the low pressure switch?
With a paper clip. I have it set to Max AC inside and I hook up the paper clip to the low pressure connector. The clutch engages on for about 3 seconds and clicks off and stays like that while the fan is still running.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
With a paper clip. I have it set to Max AC inside and I hook up the paper clip to the low pressure connector. The clutch engages on for about 3 seconds and clicks off and stays like that while the fan is still running.
Do you have a multimeter? Can you check voltage going to that low pressure switch?

OP
OP
O

Oakway9092

Reaction score
I do have one, I just need to look for it. Do I check both terminals of the low pressure switch?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I do have one, I just need to look for it. Do I check both terminals of the low pressure switch?
Only one side of the harness will show voltage. It won’t go to the other side until it’s plugged in to the switch (or jumped), then it’ll go to and through the high pressure switch and down to the compressor.

OP
OP
O

Oakway9092

Reaction score
Only one side of the harness will show voltage. It won’t go to the other side until it’s plugged in to the switch (or jumped), then it’ll go to and through the high pressure switch and down to the compressor.
Ah gotcha, so you want me to check it while jumped?

OP
OP
O

Oakway9092

Reaction score
I set it to 20DCV and no juice. Just 0.00

Update: stupid me had the switch pointing the wrong way. The Blue/Yellow wire its at 0.00 and the Purple Wire I get 0.04. (When set to Max/AC)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online