Adding ABS to my Mustang

OP
OP
D

DavidMustang

Reaction score
Well I did find out some things just updating the form. I would also need to purchase a new power brake booster and Master Cylinder for the ABS system. I was wondering anyone that has a 94-98 mustang with the ABS mounted in front of the vehicle right next to the radiator. Could you take some pictures of your brake lines running from the ABS unit to the Master Cylinder and Brake Booster. Thanks I really appreciate it a lot.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I did find out some things just updating the form. I would also need to purchase a new power brake booster and Master Cylinder for the ABS system. I was wondering anyone that has a 94-98 mustang with the ABS mounted in front of the vehicle right next to the radiator. Could you take some pictures of your brake lines running from the ABS unit to the Master Cylinder and Brake Booster. Thanks I really appreciate it a lot.

Alright, here we go:

Here's some shots of the ABS Unit; these next two pictures are taken facing the front of the car, on the passenger side. Physically above the camera is the air intake for the engine.

01_IMG_4133.jpg

02_IMG_4140.jpg

These are the lines that go OUT of the ABS. The closest to the camera is the Left Front, the middle one is the Right Front, and the one furthest from the camera (closest to the front bumper) is the Rear. There is only one output for the rear - while the fronts are controlled independently, the two rear wheels are controlled together as one, thus only 1 brake line runs to the rear of the car.

03_IMG_4141.jpg

In this next picture is one of the feeds from the master cylinder. The other feed is behind this, towards the front of the car (and can sort of be see behind this one). These are located on the bottom right side (passenger side) of the Unit. The OUTs are a little to the left and up.

04_IMG_4142.jpg

These 3 lines right down the passenger side of the ABS unit, and consist of the two FEEDS from the Master Cylinder, and the one OUT that goes to the Left Front wheel. The lines travel under the lower radiator support from the Passenger side over to the Drivers side (really, the two from the MC travel from driver to passenger side while the OUT goes from passenger to driver, but you get the idea):

05_IMG_4134.jpg

These 3 lines then travel up the driver side over to the frame rail, back towards the Master Cylinder (the Left Front OUT makes a sharp turn to head to the caliper):

06_IMG_4136.jpg

The two FEEDS come out from the bottom of the proportioning valve:

08_IMG_4138.jpg

And finally the Master Cylinder FEEDS the top of the Proportioning Valve:

09_IMG_4139.jpg

I hope this helps!

Just FYI - I do agree with the others that ABS is not necessary. It is a nice safety feature though for a street-driven car. I can't imagine it will be fun adding it in, but if you are determined to do so, you might be able to pick up a used unit from a salvage yard (if you are lucky) as well as the brake lines you would need - though I think you can also buy new ABS brake lines pre-bent and everything from Late Model Restoration. They might even sell new or re-man'ed ABS Units but I can't imagine they'd be cheap.

OP
OP
D

DavidMustang

Reaction score
Yeah I already have the wiring harness and the ABS unit that i got for free from a nice guy. I really really appreciate this so much and the time you took taking the pictures. I recently did a brake over haul on my brake system. I replaced all the rotors and brake calipers. Also the master cylinder and the power booster. Plus I changed all the brake pads and hardware kit. After doing all this I found out that if I wanted to add ABS on my vehicle. That Ill need to change my power booster and master cylinder that i just purchased to ones that are made for ABS. :'( I wish i would have looked into that before I made all the purchases. But on a positive note even though now I wont be adding ABS to my vehicle my car is able to stop quite well now. I have better control when braking and able not just not press the brakes as hard when coming to a stop so the tires dont skid. So I guess I just needed to repair the mustang brake system

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I already have the wiring harness and the ABS unit that i got for free from a nice guy. I really really appreciate this so much and the time you took taking the pictures. I recently did a brake over haul on my brake system. I replaced all the rotors and brake calipers. Also the master cylinder and the power booster. Plus I changed all the brake pads and hardware kit. After doing all this I found out that if I wanted to add ABS on my vehicle. That Ill need to change my power booster and master cylinder that i just purchased to ones that are made for ABS. :'( I wish i would have looked into that before I made all the purchases. But on a positive note even though now I wont be adding ABS to my vehicle my car is able to stop quite well now. I have better control when braking and able not just not press the brakes as hard when coming to a stop so the tires dont skid. So I guess I just needed to repair the mustang brake system

No worries man. I really wouldn't sweat not having ABS. You car will still stop quickly, you'll just have to try a little harder to not flat-spot them. It's all good :)

OP
OP
D

DavidMustang

Reaction score
I notice you that you're using the air from your fog light opening. Where do you have them going to. I know they make a kit to cool the brakes. I'm wondering if you could cool the radiator more with a setup like this.

05_IMG_4134.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online