Adjustable Clutch cables= Thumbs down

Schiffy

Reaction score
Scarface said:
its pretty easy, should only take 20 or 30 mins.

Took me about an hour... including the time it took me to get the jack and and jack stand under it, then gether all the right tools... not a bad install, fairly eas and pretty straight Forward. I went ahead and threw on my UPR triple hook quadrant while i was at it... the clutch feel is amazing. for so long, i've thought the pressure plate was bad... it was the piece of shit cable the whole time... :dancing6:

voidfinger

Reaction score
wow, i just don't know... ive seen the steeda kit where you can buy all three for 7X plus shipping... why do the adjustable ones break and the non ones do not?

O and if anyone could please take some pics of how the cable is run i would love that... i'm doing a 5 speed swap in my car and i would like to see... plus i've always wondered what that metal thing looks like a bracket was on the cord.... ??? thanks guys.

STEEDA96

Reaction score
The clutch on mine saw 64,000 miles of abuse before seeing me, so replacing it was a must. King Cobra clutch kit, Steeda quadrant and the OEM cable..hasnt failed me yet. :dancing6:

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
idk what any of this is to tell you the truth, what is it supposed to do make your clutch tighter? :dunno:

S

scarface

realitygt said:
idk what any of this is to tell you the truth, what is it supposed to do make your clutch tighter? :dunno:
makes them adjustable.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I just hooked up my original stock cable to my 3rd clutch. Still using the stock quadrant and everything. Pedal feel is great and I was able to hook the thing right up with absolutely zero issues. Don't even need a pry bar with a stocker, you just have someone in the car lift it up as far as it will go and just pull a little on the fork and it'll go right on.

The only thing I might ever do is buy an adjuster or a metal quadrant but I'll keep my OEM cable until it breaks.

S

scarface

I suggest keeping the stock cable no matter what the setup, but the quadrant, slack adjuster, and firewall adjuster are a great combo.

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score
what i dont understand is why so many people buy them when 8 out of 10 people say theirs broke? is the advantage to an adjustable cable that significant to where you would risk breaking the cable?

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Its all in the marketing. People see "adjustable" clutch cable and think its better. They don't realize that you can run the OEM cable and still have a perfectly adjustable unit with a few add ons. Like I said the stock cable in mine has been totally fine for me.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
why would you want to make your clutch tighter anyway? on ours cars they adjust themselves and if it's loose it's because something is worn, so if you replace it wouldn't it make it tight again?

S

scarface

They are too heavy for the cheap plastic quadrant and it breaks.

quik67mustang

Reaction score
my steeda one melted :p but my factory one is holding up just fine, its alot lighter on the foot as well

Wayne

Reaction score
anyone try maximum motor sports stuff there kits come with a ford cable I'm thinking of going with it but just wanted someone else's view.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So since this is sorta a conversation on cables...

What do you people think of the Maximum Motorsports cable? The one they say is as good as OEM?

no_pistons7

Reaction score
i had a lordco one well twice and they both lasted me about uhh a whole 6 blocks before the plastic broke where that little U clip thing holds it onto the tranny.....i use granetteli (adjustable)or w/e it is, i stretched one out and im on my 2nd one now....i think something is wrong with my car tho it goes threw cables like nuts lol but alot of guys out here run the granetteli and it comes with a adjustable quadrent like with 2 settings on it.

98COBRA_MIKE

Reaction score
i now have the steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster and FRPP adjustable cable...its been fine so far, but time will tell! ive heard that every adjustable cable sucks except the FRPP one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online